It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:02 pm 
Really getting into this place

When Katherine Parker-Brice's new next door neighbour spotted a cat she believed to be a stray in her garden, she called the RSPCA.

It sent out an inspector who agreed with her assessment - and swiftly killed the animal by lethal injection.

But both got it horribly wrong...the cat was Mork, one of two tabbies loved and cared for by Katherine and husband Paul for 19 years.

Now the furious couple are taking legal action against the RSPCA after the inspector killed their healthy pet - and added insult to injury by returning it the next day in a plastic bag.

"I had only been out of the house a few hours but in that time he collected Mork, drove him around in a cage in the back of his van and then killed him, inexplicably, in his front garden," explained Mrs Parker-Brice.

"This man's broken our hearts. He has left Mork's sister, Mindy, without a companion. They were together for 19 years and have now been torn apart by a careless, casual act. The RSPCA quickly prosecutes anyone who neglects animals - yet here it is killing them indiscriminately."

Mrs Parker-Brice, 45, from Ruislip, Middlesex, told how her next-door neighbour, who was new to the area, had contacted the charity as the cat climbed into her garden.

But instead of leafletting neighbours or putting up posters to establish ownership or taking it to a vet - all normal RSPCA procedure - the inspector drove the cat off in his van.

And just two-and-a-half hours after collecting the animal, he killed it outside his home.

Mrs Parker Brice said: "I had arrived home from work that day at 4pm and was calling out for Mork but he wasn't around.

"He is an indoors cat, very loving and playful, but gets distressed if he goes too far from home. We found out from the neighbour that she had called the RSPCA but it wasn't until late at night we tracked down the inspector.

"I was in tears. He tried to defend himself saying the cat didn't have any teeth and was old but it was ridiculous. You only had to look at his nails which had been clipped and his glossy coat to see that he wasn't a stray. We demanded he bring the cat back, which he did the next morning, but he put him in a yellow plastic disposable bag."

The inspector, who had been with the RSPCA for ten years, faced a disciplinary hearing but received only a written warning.

"He should have been sacked - there is no way he should be allowed near animals," said Mrs Parker-Brice, a driver for the RAF.

She said her seven-year-old daughter, Samantha, who wants to be a vet, has ripped the RSPCA stickers off her collection of Animal Hospital toys because she was so upset.

Mrs Parker-Brice said: "What I can't help thinking about is the period leading up to Mork being killed. He would have been alone in the dark in the back of that van for two hours and it would have terrified him. He has never been alone before.

"His sister is pining for him. She keeps wandering around the house looking for him."

The RSPCA admitted that the inspector had followed none of the RSPCA's normal procedures.

In a statement the charity It said: "The RSPCA said: "We would like to offer our most sincere and heartfelt apologies to this family, who have lost their pet cat Morky.

"In this instance, an RSPCA animal collection officer tried to do the right thing but made a tragic mistake.

"We would point out that the ACO had the best intentions at heart when dealing with Morky. He believed the cat to be stray, extremely old, ill and suffering.

"As a result he took the decision to euthanase the cat as soon as possible to put an end to the suffering he believed it to be experiencing.

"Following a lengthy investigation the ACO was brought before a disciplinary hearing and action has been taken. The individual has been disciplined and re-training is also being provided.

"The superintendant of the region has personally visited the family to offer his most sincere apologies. The ACO - who has 10 years of experience with the RSPCA - feels great remorse over this tragic mistake."

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:16 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Can't they take it further, there is no way he should get away with this, alright we all know they won't jail him, but he should lose his job.
There are solicitors who deal with animal welfare, how they work I can't remember, but I am sure they are 'no win no fee basis'. haven't used them for a long time, and when I did it was for a rescue kennels.
There is no way on earth I would let him get away with this. Don't let the RSPCA intimidate you in anyway, they are not police but a bloody charity, although they like to think they are.
Can you get his name :?: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

They Say You Can't Buy Love......But You Can, You Can Buy a Dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:37 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I am hopping mad. My mate is an ambulance driver for the RSPCA, lovely bloke and I am sure that unless that animal is critical, even wild ones they are not allowed to destroy it until they see the vet.
I maybe wrong but as far as I know Mike takes everything to the vet, as by law vets have to treat wildlife free of charge.
Don't know if you all know that, but ever find an injured wild animal take it to your vet, he has to take it in, it is part of there code of practise. (handy to know} and they cannot charge for it, its free.

If they have any proof at all, and the fact that the neighbour saw it get into there garden, check and photograph the access the cat used, I am almost certain he cannot put that animal down on his own authority, and the fact that the cat was a pet and not feral surely they can prove this jsut by the cats condition, get a petition, don't let it go, how many more animals has he put to sleep cos he can't be bothered to drive them miles to where ever, this was probably why he did it, as they have designated places where they have to drop each species off, lazy s..t head.
I will find out the facts for you. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:44 pm 
I find it hard to believe that he could euthanase the poor cat without consulting a vet. Sadly this supports what a lot of people on this forum already think about the RSPCA.
It is hard enough to lose a pet but for this to happen makes me so angry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:21 am 
Lupus wrote:
I am hopping mad. My mate is an ambulance driver for the RSPCA, lovely bloke and I am sure that unless that animal is critical, even wild ones they are not allowed to destroy it until they see the vet.
I maybe wrong but as far as I know Mike takes everything to the vet, as by law vets have to treat wildlife free of charge.
Don't know if you all know that, but ever find an injured wild animal take it to your vet, he has to take it in, it is part of there code of practise. (handy to know} and they cannot charge for it, its free.

If they have any proof at all, and the fact that the neighbour saw it get into there garden, check and photograph the access the cat used, I am almost certain he cannot put that animal down on his own authority, and the fact that the cat was a pet and not feral surely they can prove this jsut by the cats condition, get a petition, don't let it go, how many more animals has he put to sleep cos he can't be bothered to drive them miles to where ever, this was probably why he did it, as they have designated places where they have to drop each species off, lazy s..t head.
I will find out the facts for you. :evil:

I am with Lupus 100% on this, there are supposed to be 'designated courses of action' where all animal welfare is concerned - this is the one chance to show the RSPCA up for what they really are - total and complete ar**holes. OMG, this has made me so bloody angry.

As a 'side line' what on earth was the neighbour thinking, calling the RSPCA out as soon as she sees a cat in her garden, the woman was only out for a few hours, the neighbour seems as stupid and thoughtless as the RSPCA, or a 'cat hater', wouldn't you just knock at your neighbours and say 'is this your cat' not send him off to his death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:51 am 

OMG I was absolutely disgusted and upset reading this.I cannot believe he got a written warning and that's it.Poor Mork he must have been so frightened I just don't know what else to say. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:51 am 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Strange that we have heard nothing of this in the national news, yet if the cat had been killed by the ownwers, and the RSPCA had prosocuted successfully we would have heard about it. The couple should tell the national press and get this out in the open, and I bet there are many more stories out there like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:21 am 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

xyz wrote:
Strange that we have heard nothing of this in the national news, yet if the cat had been killed by the ownwers, and the RSPCA had prosocuted successfully we would have heard about it. The couple should tell the national press and get this out in the open, and I bet there are many more stories out there like it.

I agree with you totally, ring the Sun there always up for stories of this nature. Don't let it go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:36 pm 

I'm know that a cat is classed as a "free spirit" but surely it should have been taken to a vet to have a check over, then on to a holding pen for 10 days or so, to give the owner a chance to claim him ! I never give to the R.S.P.C.A as they like their nice vans, and clean uniforms, with lots of red tape ! :evil: How much of the money gets to the animals after admin costs ? I always support local charities, the ones that get down and dirty and with the animals coming first ! :)
I found a very thin persian and took him to the local cat/dogs home for treatment, then put cards in the local shop windows, he was claimed within hours ! his thinness was due to his thiroids. A happy ending ! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:39 pm 
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

While I agree with the comments in this thread, and share the view that this was an unjustifiable error of judgment, I have had to change the title, as it could be considered libelous.

If we are to continue to oppose aspects of the RSPCA's policy and so forth, it is important to seperate the individual's actions from the policies of the organisation, and not label the organisation on the basis of an action taken by one employee.

Please understand I am not defending the RSPCA, I have my own views on them, as an organisation, which are less than complimentary, but these were the actions of an individual which do not represent the accepted practices within the organisation, or the approach of many of its other employees.

LivefoodsForGood.co.uk << Click to Visit The Site
High quality livefood packaged to order, sent fresh from the breeder and only 1.39 a tub.
30% of profits supporting reptile rescue and conservation charities. Same day despatch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:02 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

xyz wrote:

There are actually many similar things going on that few people hear of, from police dogs being killed unnecessarily to foxes being put down for being hit by a car, despite having injuries that it would recover from to fox cubs taken into 'shelters' which are then also put down. The rspca based programs we see on the tele paint a much rosier picture than the one of reality.
Did you know that 'normally' when an rspca employee is reported of cruelty themselves they're 'asked about it'? Where as general people like you or I would have our door busted down, the rspca employees are 'asked' whether or not it's true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:34 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Lupus wrote:
I agree with you totally, ring the Sun there always up for stories of this nature. Don't let it go.

The original post is actually taken directly from the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

If this story is as the Mail paint it, then the Officer really should face the consequences of his actions. It's a terribly inept way of dealing with such a situation. I dread to think what would happen to my cat in a similar situation; he's old and smelly and looks like a stray.

Pappa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:59 pm 

pace wrote:
While I agree with the comments in this thread, and share the view that this was an unjustifiable error of judgment, I have had to change the title, as it could be considered libelous.

If we are to continue to oppose aspects of the RSPCA's policy and so forth, it is important to seperate the individual's actions from the policies of the organisation, and not label the organisation on the basis of an action taken by one employee.

Please understand I am not defending the RSPCA, I have my own views on them, as an organisation, which are less than complimentary, but these were the actions of an individual which do not represent the accepted practices within the organisation, or the approach of many of its other employees.

No problem hun :) ...I was feeling extremely angry at the time I posted...I still do today but I understand :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:02 pm 

Heartless. It saddens me to think that this has happened, when you expect the driving force behind wanting to become an rspca officer would be indisputable love for our small friends. Such cold, impersonal actions do not represent the will of somone who has pledged to protect the precious and fragile lives of all animals, stray or not :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:28 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I don't like the RSPCA, and the reason is a very good friend of mine was the secretary for these in our area for years. I used to help her with the troubled and harder to rehome dogs at the rescue kennels, she rented 10 kennels from a local boarding kennel.
She never got paid a penny, because they work under the umbrella scheme. each local branch has to raise its own funds. Now ours was brilliant although it took up a lot of her life. Then she had a bad year, not very well and hadn't managed to raise enough money for the rescues, the main RSPCA would not lift a finger to help. Luckily all 8 dogs were found homes for apart from one Rottweiler who had to be put to sleep, he had his reasons, and my Jack my GSD who had a 101 problems so I ended up with him. As far as the head office were concerned if she couldn't find places for them then pts. She left the country and went to work in Canada.

I do sometimes understand that inspectors have it quite hard as they don't get any back up from the law as the laws are so ancient, but even so they shoud do what they do properly with care and respect, after all they are supposed to be animal lovers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:33 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

And this is the reason why i will NEVER support the RSPCA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:03 pm 

Becky wrote:
And this is the reason why i will NEVER support the RSPCA!

Same here!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:52 pm 

More info...This is why I will NEVER support the RSPCA...please also see more here CLICKY HERE

...also this sad story of a german shepherd.... WARNING about the images on page 2/3

CLICKY HERE

this from the liverpool echo in 2001
OWNER UPSET OVER DOG'S DEATH
A much loved family pet was put down by the RSPCA after it it had been registered missing by its owners.

Sue Carroll, a florist, from Walton, said she was devastated at the death of her golden cocker spaniel, Pluto.

"We put adverts in the ECHO and all the weekly papers, " said Sue. "We put street posters up and went up to the dogs' home in Halewood to see if he had turned up.

"He wasn't there but his details were logged by one of the girls there."

On Bonfire Night there was a breakthrough when one of Sue's neighbours said she thought she had seen Pluto in the RSPCA dogs' home. She said:

"We went up there and were told they had put him down seven days before. I couldn't believe it; they had all of Pluto's details and yet nobody thought to check whether it was my dog. "I've cried and cried over this but I just want to warn other people who have lost their animals that this might happen to them."

John Smallwood, secretary administrator for RSPCA Liverpool said: "The dog was reported missing in August but we do receive on average 50 calls a day from people reporting stray dogs. "The dog was handed in as a stray on October 23. It was not in good health and was around eight years old.

We had not been contacted by the owners since August and the dog did not have a name tag, tattoo or a microchip to identify it.

We put the dog to sleep after seven days in accordance with the law. "The Liverpool RSPCA receives over 4,000 strays a year and unfortunately we do not have the space to house them all indefinitely.

The RSPCA representative says "We put the dog to sleep after seven days in accordance with the law"
How are you reading that????? Do you read it that the law says the dog MUST be put down after seven days?!! The law says nothing of the kind they could have kept the dog alive until their £ 140.000000 had run out had they been so minded!!

AND ANOTHER...

An elderly couple were left distraught after the RSPCA put down their beloved alsatian dog by mistake.

Seven-year-old Shantae was given a lethal injection by the Godshill animal centre manager after a tragic misunderstandin

Heartbroken Norma Knight and her husband, Norman, both 73, of Allotment Road, Niton, said the manager did not make them sign a consent form, part of the RSPCA's standard procedure.

The RSPCA said it deeply regrets the incident and the Godshill centre is undergoing a fundamental review of its policies.

The couple called in the RSPCA to take a look at Shantae when she developed mild diarrhoea and stiffness in her back legs. They decided to call the charity to examine the animal when they found they could not afford vet's bills.

When the RSPCA worker arrived, Mr Knight held Shantae while the RSPCA officer administered the injection. A tearful Mrs Knight said: "He held on to the dog because she was a big alsatian and he wanted to help out. He thought the injection was to calm her down before they began examining her." Mr Knight asked when the woman from the RSPCA and her assistant were going to examine their pet. The woman then dropped the bombshell news that their dog would not wake up.

"We did not sign for this. The woman has destroyed our family. Norman is terribly distraught," said Mrs Knight. RSPCA bosses visited the Knights last week to try and find out how the error had occurred. Meanwhile, Mr and Mrs Knight have had their beloved pet cremated and keep her ashes as a reminder of the happy times they spent together.

There was another time when they picked up a shelled animal... mis-identified it as a turtle, and consequently drowned a rather nice tortoise that had got out of someones garden, by "housing" it in a tank of water.....it beggars belief :( the list goes on and on.... :(

Sign the Petition NOW! CLICKY HERE PLEASE PASS IT ON.