It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Ferret health question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:41 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I got some flea and mite medication for my ferrets last week - you know, the 'spot on' type? I weighed them both to ensure they got the right amount just as the instructions said. Applied it, no bother, easy peasy. Next day we went to the countryside to collect blackberries and elderberries, and we took the 2 ferrets with us. They curled up on my lap and slept happily whilst we were in the car, and they came out with us when we went picking, on their leads and harnesses of course. My husband picked beefy up and walked ahead of me and I noticed that his tail looked practically bald! I checked Bandits tail and she was exactly the same.
My problem is that I have no idea if the problem was there before I put the medication on. I'm usually watching their faces not their butts. On top of that, Beefy's still scratching like mad! Any thoughts?

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:39 pm 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

Hi Roz, my females would sometimes lose fur on there neck but this was during pairings with males, the only other time i had one lose fur was a really old female, the vet said it was because of a hormone imbalance brought on by menopause. I only ever used the aerosol type flea sprays for cats with mine. i only had to use it a handfull of times in all the years i kept ferrets and i never saw it cause any ill effects. The spot on stuff may be too strong.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:58 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

It really shouldn't be too strong as it's manufactured for ferrets plus I only gave them the dose according to their weight. I would've thought it would've caused balding on the back of the neck, as that's where I put it. :hmm:
I checked them both again today and the females tail is still looking a little bare but the male's has almost all grown back!! Weird. The females skin isn't red or sore either.
I guess I just need to keep an eye on her and see if she recovers the same way as he has.
It's handy to know the spray for cats works well, I'll bare that in mind once I've used all the spot on tubes. Thanks for that! :D

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!