* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:45 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Housing large phasmids
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:15 am 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

I am wanting to get some feedback on housing a few larger phasmid species, Phobaeticus serratipes and Bacteria horni to be exact. There seems to be quite a lot of difference of opinion about how to properly cage them with concern to an equilibrium of humidity and ventilation, so I was wondering if any of you have experience and would like to share (Morpheus and alienmarky?!) :thumb:

For the Phobaeticus I'm torn between using a screen setup or glass. The glass enclosure I have is a 48x15x15 inch aquarium I was contemplating putting up on end and custom fabricating a door out of acrylic with a pair of ventilation panels. I'm concerned about the 15 inch width being an issue though, especially with having multiple in the enclosure it wouldn't give them a ton of room. Are my fears justified? I was also thinking about a 48x24x24 inch screen chameleon type cage. It is relatively inexpensive, and has a good deal more width for them to "roam around". Yet, would the full screen cause too much ventilation and lead to molting problems? Is 4 feet even tall enough for a sub adult female to successfully to adulthood?

As for the horni, being a fair bit smaller but a large phasmid non the less, I was planning on using a standard 40 gallon (150 liter) aquarium with the dimensions 36x18x17 inches. Again, this would be being put up on end and getting a custom fabricated front with vent panels. Does this sound suitable (would screen be preferable), or is 3 feet a bit small?

All the mixed information I've been getting is making my head spin :crazy:

Thank you all for your help!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:46 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Well Greg to start with the more ventilation the better for the Phobaeticus serratipes spiecies of phasmid. The chameleon type cage sounds about right and the more height the better as its a phasmids instinct to climb from the predators and dangers that lie below. Also the class enclosure may be to thin at 15" wide and in-adequate ventilation can lead to fungal growths on your insects.

As keeping Phobaeticus serratipes before I would recommend the screen setup and you can avoid moulting problems by spraying them with a plant mister at the time you think the insects ready to moult.

If money becomes a issue then I would recommend you delay the purchase of your Phobaeticus serratipes until you can afford/get the screen setup.

As for the Bacteria horni I have no idea unfortunately. Sorry about that!! :?:

let me Know how you get on.

SWARMv1 8)