* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:52 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Hopefully one of you more experienced phasmid people can advise on this!

Started with two pairs of these about a month ago to the day, lost one about two weeks in, then got some more and had three pairs in total, just lost another one today.

Wondered if I'm doing something wrong? They're kept on kitchen towel, fresh bramble every couple of days which is in a water jar with some cotton wool to stop them drowning, I change the kitchen towel when I change the bramble.

If I'm really pushed for time I just add some fresh bramble and then do it properly the following day.

They're all hanging about on the ceiling and hiding on leaves, seem to be growing well and moulting and other than the two deaths everything seems good.

Wondering if it's a humidity issue? I generally spray the tank every other day.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:07 am 

Sounds like it could be - have you got any idea what the humidity is in there? You want it to be at least 80%, although you need some ventilation to avoid mould and bacteria issues...

It's not stupid - it's ADVANCED!
The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily the same as my employer and should not be taken as such.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:56 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I've misted it and put some clingfilm over most of the vents for now, so humidity is definitely up - quite hard to get right!

I'm just about to put a Hygrometer in there so I'll know for sure shortly, I put fresh leaves in earlier and they all seem quite happy and the larger females seem pretty relaxed and were moving about.

I'll keep a close eye one things for a while and hopefully I can get it just right for them.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:25 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Just wanted to update on these, I've been trying to keep the humidity at around 80%, although it seems to fluctuate between 60-80% even though the sides of the tank seem very wet.

So far no more deaths (unless one has died in the last couple of hours).

I was convinced one had died the other day to the point where I'd removed it from the tank and it was laying on it's back not moving, however I thought I saw a tiny twitch and moved it nearer the leaves and off it went!

I was amazed it stayed on it's back - are they usually that convincing at playing dead?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:56 pm 

They can be pretty convincing - large females are particularly worrying when they do it, although they make it quite clear they are alive when they decide to wake up and open a can of whoop-ass on your hand... :roll:

It's not stupid - it's ADVANCED!
The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily the same as my employer and should not be taken as such.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:47 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Yeah - the females are aggresive eh? don't they realise we're just concerned with their wellbeing? :lol:

Cheers, it's good to know it's one of their strengths, I really wasn't ready for such good acting.