* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:31 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

At the moment I have five of these, still pretty small but growing fast.

I'd like to get a decent size tank, I've read a bit and I'm thinking something around 24" tall, x 18" x 18" (60cm tall x 45cm x 45cm). Which seems enormous when I picture it in place, but I think 5 fully grown are going to need that sort of room.

I'm feeling extravagant (that doesn't mean you should offer me your old tank for £1000 tho! :lol:), but the problem is the exo terras come in at 60cm high, which is fine, but the width/length is also 60cm on one side, which makes it all that bigger.

I've been looking at tarantula tanks, which are a bit cheaper, but also a bit too small.

Any recommendations? doesn't have to be a glass tank, in fact I'd prefect acrylic for the weight aspect, but I'd like something that looks OK, my life is much easier if my wierd pets don't come with ugly tanks!

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:19 pm 
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

I always think mesh is bigger for stickies, plus you could build one yourself for a good price :)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:27 am 

Brandan wrote:
I always think mesh is bigger for stickies, plus you could build one yourself for a good price :)

all mesh doesn't work too great for these , but yeah building your own is a good option .
mesh can be bought all over & in many guises , acetate sheets are great for the 'solid' walls & can be bought from craft shops etc :thumb:

Quote:
“thing is mate the RSPCA giving you the approval is like getting Stevie Wonder to play connect 4 with you"

Quote:
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:40 pm 
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

salad dodger wrote:
Brandan wrote:

all mesh doesn't work too great for these , but yeah building your own is a good option .
mesh can be bought all over & in many guises , acetate sheets are great for the 'solid' walls & can be bought from craft shops etc :thumb:

Ye ... a small zoo I was working at had mesh top and 3 mesh sides with a solid back.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:06 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thanks for the replies, think I will look into making my own - seen a few homemade enclosures on tarantula forums whilst searching for suitable things.

If I go that route I'll post the results up.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:45 am 
I used glass tank with solid mesh lid (material meshing like mozzie net don't work well and they fall easily from it during moulting, a very fine metal meshing like ones on spiddy tanks work well, plenty of things to climb up to the top but with wide open spaces for moulting too.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:50 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thanks Sarah - I've been thinking of getting a cool old cabinet with glass sides, like an old shop cabinet, and then re-roofing it with mesh, and I probably would have gone straight for netting, but I have some metal mesh so that's cool.

Acrylic seems to get expensive pretty quick, I'm not adverse to spending the money, kinda worried I'd mess the build up though, but I'm reading up on that and might try making something small to try it out.

I'll post the results, should give you all a laugh either way!

Cheers.