* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:28 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

I finally found some ova for sale from somebody. I went for 10 p.giganteum ova to start with to see how I do with these. I have had varying amounts of success with p.phillipines. I place them in a plastic tank and fill it with lots of bramble. I cut some sides of some leaves and chuck a couple of indian stick insects in too so they also nibble the leafs.

Should I do this for the giganteum? I was thinking packing a 9 litre rub out with bramble and putting them in there or would this be too big?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:35 pm 
Admin
Admin

Is this for hatching?
If so you will have to watch for mould i think

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:17 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

This is for once they hatch

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:08 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Got the eggs today. One hatched in transit which couldn't dry it properly once hatched. Not sure if this one will make it as its ova are bent a bit so moulting could be a bit hard for him.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:25 pm 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

I struggled for years to get giganteum to feed - my first failure was in 1969!

A few years ago (in South Africa) I had no problems getting 'phillipines' eating and bred large numbers. But giganteum - no chance! Every nymph died within a few weeks, normally days.

When I returned for a brief spell to the UK I questioned lots of people and it seemed that wind was the answer.... These things like to think that no-one can see them, so if the air is completely still then any movement, like eating, is a give away. But if there is a gentle breeze and the leaves are moving then a crafty munch on a leaf is not so noticeable. So, I set up a small computer fan next to a netting-sided cage and most of the giganteum nymphs started to eat without any problems and very limited mortality. Whether this was coincidence or not, it worked.

Now I am in Malaysia, it is very noticeable the difference a bit of wind makes to giganteum eating habits. We have two adults roaming free on a 6 foot mango tree in our living room (I kid you not). The potted tree sits under a large ceiling fan. When it is blowing gently, the adults feed avidly. If the fan is off, they don't move at all. I put the tree out in the garden today, so it got some sunlight. It was a windy day and the giganteum were wolfing down leaves at a fast pace.

So, try to get a gentle breeze in your cage somehow.....
David