* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Black beauties
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:57 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Hi i want to know how to care for peruphasma schultei humidity tips? And ova care?

Post subject: Re: Black beauties
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:07 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Something I can help with for once!

I've kept these since Christmas, I ran a small heat mat when it was colder just to keep the temp at about 21c, but room temp is fine for these, I'd say make sure it doesn't drop below 18c though.

Humidity wise, I don't provide mine with any water, and I don't mist as a rule, but I do mist the plant and substrate a bit when I change the food plant out - they do seem to like the odd drop of water on the side of the tank.

Food plant seems to last OK for about a week with mine, which might seem like too long but I keep a close eye on the condition of the leaves. I have it in a jar of water with cotton wool wrapped around it so they can't get in the water - they love to try and get into the water - to start with when I used stocking stretched across the top of the jar I kept finding eggs in the water, so the cotton works better at stopping that.

Caring for the eggs, to be honest I haven't done much with mine - initially I kept them on old jar lids which were placed on kitchen roll in ventilated tubs. That way I could spray the kitchen roll and then put the jar lid with the eggs on back onto it, so the eggs didn't get too wet (something I picked up from here I think!).

That worked well, but occasionally I overdid the humidity, so now they're just in fruit fly tubs, and they're hatching fine, I wake up to two or three new nymphs each morning. The heat at the moment helps for sure, for the first few months nothing happened and I started to worry that were no good, but since they started hatching I've had hardly any problems.

Sometimes a nymph will emerge with a foot stuck in the egg still, it usually falls off, or you can gently help it out with a damp paintbrush.

These move really fast, and seem to know when you look away, I'm always turning back to find one halfway up the curtains, or on the side of the tank, so watch for that when you're changing the food plant!

Cheers.