* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: My Phasmids :)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:09 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Hi everyone! Here's a list of the phasmids I'm trying to breed at the minute:

• Andropromachus scutatus (ova and nymphs)
Pic of (from left) freshly hatched nymph and L2

• Carausius morosus (ova, nymphs, adults)
• Lopaphus sphalerus (ova)
• Myronides sp. "Peleng" (ova)
• Oreophoetes peruana (ova)

If anyone has any tips on rearing any of these species I'd love to hear them! I read quite a bit about each species before I got them but there's always new things to learn. :D

I have the ova in plastic containers with air holes plus a hole in the lid covered with netting. I have the eggs on damp tissue paper and mist them very two days. I have some dried moss in there too to decrease mold - mold did start to grow on my C. morosus and Myronides sp. ova, so I changed the tissue paper and reduced misting. They're at room temperature (18-20 degrees). Hopefully they will all hatch successfully in a few months! So far only a few of my A. scutatus have hatched (see the above picture) and one has died (not sure why, it looked healthy, it was the freshly hatched nymph in the above pic :( ). Some of the O. peruana ova are darkening which I read means they are close to hatching!

A question about O. peruana - I've read conflicting sources on the matter but, do the females simply drop their ova to the ground or to they bury their ova? Just want to know so I can plan adult enclosures with appropriate substrate.

Overall very excited to be trying something new with phasmids, as I'd only kept lepidoptera before. :D

Last edited by Sticky on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My Plasmids :)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:02 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

I presume you mean Phasmids - not Plasmids - very different kettle of fish.

Post subject: Re: My Plasmids :)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:09 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Lol sorry, that was a mistype! I'll fix it :)

If only I had some plasmids....
"Imagine if you could be smarter, stronger, healthier. What if you could even have amazing powers, light fires with your mind... That's what Plasmids do for a man."

Post subject: Re: My Phasmids :)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:21 pm 

Oreophoetes just drop to the ground. When i kept them the subsrate was just really moist moss and soil, left them in there for good results, unfortunately when i was on holiday they got too dry and the foodplant dessicated too fast along with the rest of the ova.
Got some nice species there though, best of luck. I use mostly sand now for my phasmid eggs, you'll find it stays moist enough given the right tub whilst also being mould resistant.

My Flickr photo album

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:49 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Thanks! :D

I've been keeping everything (ova, adults, nymphs) on wet kitchen roll as per care sheets on phasmatodea.com. Definitely thinking of getting sand for the ova as some that need to be kept at very high humidity (like the Myronides sp. "Peleng") are just playgrounds for mould. And the moss really doesn't seem to be helping! I'm going to try this method when I get my hands on some cheap sand.

Two O. peruana nymphs have emerged since and have been eating away. 5 A. scutatus nymphs have hatched and two have died. Maybe they had trouble eating due to their tiny size (even though I cut the leaves edges), I'm not sure. I've around 40 eggs so hopefully there won't be too many casualties in there. No action from the other ova yet. Overall looking good though :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:00 pm 
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Very nice species.Good luck & keep us updated!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:46 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

First Myronides sp. "Peleng" hatched today, unexpectedly! So I'd no container ready for it so its in a tall yogurt tub. I'll need to run out and get it a bit of bramble later. Click for pictures!

Lots of O. peruana have hatched and are growing like mad! I've got a few potted ferns off a friend to keep these lot going over the colder months. A. scutatus are doing well, but are still tiny! They escape out the air holes and everything. Really pretty species with odd little behaviours (the way they drop and wiggle when disturbed is adorable) but I don't think I'll be getting a species this small again. Have +400 C. morosus ova, after giving some away to 3 different schools and to a petting zoo. I may need to start feeding nymphs to the tarantulas and the centipede at this stage.

Only waiting on the Lopaphus sphalerus to start hatching now! :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:43 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Haven't updated this in a while.... :snail:

Well all the species I got in 2013 went well, didn't have many problems with them. Sadly I was away for a bit and many of my inverts died in the care of friends/family. Most of my phasmids died off then, except for the Indians (obviously) and L. sphalerus. I was very upset by that, especially with the loss of my O. peruana and Myronides sp. "Peleng" - I would love to keep them both again. I got rid of the Indians then and started collecting more species to fill the very lonely looking shelves.

I'm awful at taking pictures so I don't have any! :oops: I'll try and take some during the week.

My current phasmid list:
Phasmatidae
Lonchodiodes sp. "Negros"
- finishing up with these now, I'm not really interested in them.
Extatosoma tiaratum
- ~120 sexual ova, just waiting to swamp me with those bloody fast nymphs!
Medauroidea extradentata
- >25 ova - these are pathogenetic. Never kept them before.
Dimorphodes sp. Misool
- ova and a few L1s. First time with these, interested to see how they go but I've only a small number of them.
Pseudophasmatidae
Pseudophasma subapterum
- these are a lovely species, really enjoying them. Have normal and red CFs. Have ova, L1s, L3s, L4s, L5s and adults.
Heteropterygidae
Trachyaretaon brueckneri
- really enjoying this species too! Lovely colours through the nymph stages, very hardy. Have L3s, L4s, L5s and adults).
Dares philippinensis
- I adore the Dares genus! I'm very happy with how my lot are doing. Can't wait to name these females that will live about 5yrs lol. I have ova, L1s, L4s, L5s and one adult female.
Dares validispinus
- ova, L3s, L4s
Hoploclonia gecko
- 30 ova - very excited to see how these guys go! The males really caught my eye.
Diapheromeridae
Lopaphus sphalerus
- the only species left from my originals from last year. I love the males, so I've kept about 70-80 ova.

Anyone else keep some of these species? Any interesting tips or tricks? Notably for H. gecko as there's not much out there on them! :D