* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:41 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:43 pm 
Really getting into this place

Hi All

My name is Westley Price. I have been stalking Bugnation (well the Phasmid section at least) for a while now. I am an Exploration Geologist from South Africa, living in Namibia. I have been an amateur herpetologist for the past 15 years, and keeping exotic snakes for the past 10, with my focus being Asian non-venomous colubrids, but field herping and photography has always been my passion.

I recently moved to Namibia and with the local legislation, I have had to part with my snakes and stick to field herping (which of course I am loving) but there has been a gap in my household since parting with my captives. I decided to investigate an alternative to fill the gap.

I have never had a real interest in Tarantulas and the rest of the invert hobby is quite underdeveloped here in Africa so our options are limited. I am a moderator on a local reptiles forum and I noticed a local guy selling Extatosoma tiaratum which sent me down a rabbit hole, investigating all Phasmids.

I contacted one of the South African breeders specializing in Phasmids and got a price list from him. After doing research on all the species he had on offer, I decided on a group I would be most capable of looking after (hopefully). Being that the shipping from the breeder to me is roughly 1500km, I decided to order ova rather than nymphs to prevent any deaths or injury. So I am currently incubating a nice group of ova from a few different species.

Although I have done TONS of research, I would appreciate any advice on incubation and rearing nymphs from the more experienced hands. Currently I am incubating all the ova in transparent deli tubs with coarse sand as a substrate, but with a single layer of towelling just to have a white background for easy visual checks on nymphs which might have hatched or mould forming etc.

Below are a few pictures of the ova. I really hope I manage to hatch a decent amount of them to have a nice group to work from, and if I am successful, I would really like to get a few more species.

By the way, thank you to the admin and moderators for maintaining a great forum with a wealth of info!

Extatosoma tiaratum

Eurycnema goliath

Aretaon asperrimus

Megaphasma denticrus

Phyllium giganteum (one ova lost it's "cap" and is drying out, so seems it won't make it full term)

Lonchodiodes sp. (Negros, Philippines)

Marmessoidea rosea

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:15 am 

Hi and welcome to the forum! :). You've got some nice species there which I'm sure you'll enjoy.

However, the ova you have labelled as Aretaon asperrimus are actually Sungaya inexpectata; the adults are fairly similar looking which may explain the mislabelling, but the eggs are very distinctively different :).

Hope you have fun with your new charges and enjoy BN! :)

It's not stupid - it's ADVANCED!
The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily the same as my employer and should not be taken as such.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:17 am 

Thanx for warm welcome, Alien, and thank you eve more for the correction on species name.

Although the adults look similar, I prefer the look of the Sungaya as opposed to Aretaon.

From what I have read, the captive care of the two species are very similar so at least the mislabeling wil not put a spanner in my plans for enclosures.

I will update this thread every once in a while at milestones, like when the nymphs hatch, my enclosures, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:57 am 

Hi chap,

No problem! Looking forward to the updates:). And yes, the care is exactly the same; I'd even go as far as to say Sungaya are even easier....!

All the best,
Mark

It's not stupid - it's ADVANCED!
The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily the same as my employer and should not be taken as such.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:43 pm 

I noticed that a few of my ova has started to develop mould over the past few days. Although I know this is not necessarily a death sentence, I would like to prevent mould as far as possible.

I understand that the ova need high humidity to hatch, but surely high humidity does not equal being wet? So I decided to build little mesh platforms for the eggs to rest on, with 10mm between the platform and the sandy substrate.

I hope this still keeps the eggs humid enough, while preventing them for being too wet and growing more mould. So I only wet the substrate now and the evaporation keeps the eggs humid. The deli tubs are sealed most of the time.

Please let me know what you guys think.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:26 am 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Great collection you have there!

Mould can be a death sentence, yes, but a small amount is unlikely to cause major issues. The set up you have there is really good, actually and should go a long way to preventing mould forming. :)

For my p.giganteum ova I usually inspect them every few days for mould and remove any I find with a very soft paintbrush.