* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:46 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:57 pm 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

Hi All

I have a lot more experience in reptile keeping than invert keeping, so I have a quick question/suggestion for the more experienced keepers.

Mold seems to be a widespread problem when it comes to phasmid eggs. Whether that mold is detrimental to the eggs is another question, but it certainly does cause some concern when one sees more hair growing on your eggs than on your grandfather's head.

With snake eggs, one household item which works miracles on mold is anti-fungal foot powder. One just has to make sure it's one of the miconazole based powders and doesn't contain too many other chemicals.

Now my question is, has anyone ever tried foot powder on phasmid eggs, and if not, does anyone perhaps have a moldy bunch that they're willing to experiment on? The results could be pretty significant if positive.

Thanx for reading.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:41 pm 

I try to stay clear from any kind of chemical, i dont seem to get much mold on ova anymore incubating them on sand and sphagnum moss. You could always introduce small woodlice or springtails if its that bad although you would have to watch they dont disturb the ova much. Although most moldy eggs were have been bad to start with. Even then i've had some hatch from mouldy eggs.
If you see something actually leaking from them they of course they are no good.

My Flickr photo album