* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Hypericum androsaemum
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:25 am 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

Any Phasmid folk know if this variety of Hypericum is ok to use for sticks that eat it?.

I have some H. Tricolour growing on the patio, as have a species incubating where it's the preferred food, but the one In the photo is growing in abundance around here, as in pretty much every garden on the street (so guessing it's possibly a prolific self-seeder). If this can be fed too, I can cultivate a few cuttings and collect a few seeds when it sets its berries.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:40 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Neozero999 wrote:
I have some H. Tricolour growing on the patio, as have a species incubating where it's the preferred food.

There's no such thing as a species called tricolour -> 'Hypericum triCOLOUR' lol. It's a cultivar resulting from two species being crossed so it's H. x moserianum 'Tricolor' (Not exactly which two species x moserianum is crossed from). The 'Tricolor' is an official name given for that cultivar so you can't change the spelling of the color to the British one.

Neozero999 wrote:
Any Phasmid folk know if this variety of Hypericum is ok to use for sticks that eat it?.

*Species. You would be talking about a completely different thing if you say variety.

I grow Hypericum frondosum 'Sunburst' myself for my sticks which refuse to eat bramble or oak and I occasionally just cut some off bushes I see in public if it's an established one. I believe I've already tried at least 6 different sp. or ssp. or var. or cultivars (not really into Hypericum so I can't easily recognise which one's which) so far and they have all been taken so I'm guessing that you could feed that 'weed' to your sticks without any of them rejecting it.

Current mantis species:
Acanthops erosula
Blepharopsis mendica
Creobroter nebulosa
Decimiana bolivari
Gongylus gongylodes
Idolomantis diabolica
Heterochaeta orientalis
Hymenopus coronatus
Miomantis cf. caffra "Johannesburg"
Phyllocrania paradoxa

Others: Phasmids, Beetles, Butterflies, Moths

Facebook page- "Richard's Inverts"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:45 am 

You can probably use all species and varieties of Hypericum as a foodplant - a general rule is that if they don't like it they'll just refuse to eat it :). We usse the larger leaved one as we have tonnes, but also use the smaller, thinner leaved ones too.

It's not stupid - it's ADVANCED!
The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily the same as my employer and should not be taken as such.