* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:57 am 
Really getting into this place

Now I seem to be getting it right with my H. Grayii, I'm feeling tentatively hopeful about rearing Jungle nymphs. Wanted to add them for a while, but the difficult moult aspect put me off.
On the market for some ova (or nymphs if I can find them) and could use a couple of pointers.
1) Is it doable/advisable to keep a colony, or should they be kept in pairs? I prefer colonies for a healthy culture where I can and only keep low numbers if that's all I have.
2) can they cohabit with my H.Grayii? The Grayii females aren't much smaller than Jungle nymph females (one of my fresh adult H.Grayii girls is huge!.......also my favorite too, which is good). Going to do a custom-build enclosure, which will be a roomy affair and the two species in it would look very impressive on display.
3) if any has or knows a good source of Heteropteryx dilatata ova, nymphs or adults (I can't do Bugfest....working :( ). Please tell me. Thanks 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:09 am 

You can keep a pair or more - they do fine in big groups, you just need to make sure you have enough space for them all. I would steer clear of keeping them together with Haaniellla grayii due to the risk of hybridisation.

Wait until someone has some for sale/swap, although you could get some from ebay (albeit at probably astronomical prices) - try and get nymphs rather than eggs as the eggs do have quite a low hatching rate (I hypothesis this is after disturbance as we just leave them in the cage to hatch and get decent numbers).

It's not stupid - it's ADVANCED!
The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily the same as my employer and should not be taken as such.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:38 pm 

Thanks for those tips. Hadn't considered the hybridisation possibility, which is bad of me, considering I should have and do have species that can and will. Didn't know about the low hatch rate, so if I can't find nymphs, better make sure I get a good batch of eggs.
In terms of hatching, could I provide tubs of playsand or vermiculite for laying and just move those to the incubator? (Guessing same for H.Grayii too?)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:33 pm 

You'll want about 50 eggs minimum to have a good chance at getting them going (this isn't me doing a sales pitch bte, in my experience that seems to bethe best average number for most species to get a decent captive culture).

As I said before I normally just let them hatch out in the enclosure; we use potting compost/peat/coir/whatever is to hand at about two to three inch depth and leaf litter over the top (mostly for aesthetics but it does keep the humidity in, plus we also leave the old leaves from the foodplant in there too as they d like to munch on dead leaves occasionally.

If you want to move them I'd recommend a mix of coir/sand or coir/vermiculite, whchever you prefer. Watch out for mould though and remove and destroy any eggs affected. You can bury them if you wish (might increase hatch rates slightly) but they seem to hatch just fine when they're placed on the surface.

The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily the same as my employer and should not be taken as such.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:35 am 
Just joined
Just joined

I've read seemingly conflicting things about the ideal amount of moisture for Heteropteryx Dilatata eggs. Should they or the substrate they're on be constantly damp? Or is living in a humid environment enough? I've been spraying mine daily and I'm not sure if its overkill.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:43 am 

I just leave them in the tank with the parents to hatch normally at home, with the cage having a 3" layer of soil, old leaves annd a bit of vermiculite mixed in - this is kept damp/humid from daily maintenance for the encosure. For work we keep the eggs in fairly enclosed plastic boxes on a 1" layer of vermiculite that is kept damp. This also seems to work although from observation the hatch rate seems to be higher from the eggs left in-situ.