* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:37 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:09 am 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone else one here has bought any of those so-called Rare white Macleays Spectre stick insects off ebay?

Ive bought a total of 40 eggs off their now, and only had one hatch, and im beginning to think its a bit of a dodgy deal! The first 10 i got in May last year, then another 10 in October, I had one hatch then, and after waiting another 3 months I thought id try again at the start of this year, and got 20, but none of those have hatched either!!!

As for conditions at my end iv been keeping them in a net covered flora tub with all my Black beauty eggs, and they've been hatching none stop, nearly every week i have at least two of them hatch (not that im getting sick of the sight of them) I just really want to see the macleays hatch!!!!

And plus the one that did hatch, just looks like a normal macleays spectre, not particularly white at all :(

Attachment:
_MG_4426 copy.jpg
_MG_4426 copy.jpg [ 941.34 KiB | Viewed 2594 times ]

This is the pic from the ebad listing:
Attachment:
$_57 (9).JPG
$_57 (9).JPG [ 58.58 KiB | Viewed 2594 times ]

Id be interested to hear what you all think.

Rob

Attachments:
_MG_4444 copy.jpg
_MG_4444 copy.jpg [ 519.32 KiB | Viewed 2594 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:57 am 
Really getting into this place

I think that ad would be very dodgy.

There are numerous "morphs" of Extatosoma tiaratum, but I am very sure it's near impossible to predict what "morph" will hatch from any ova. Even if both parents were the white variety, that does not mean the nymphs resulting from that pairing will be the white variety.

I hope you did not pay much more than for "normal" ova.

Plus that photo seems to be taken straight off Google Images That is usually a good indication of a scam.

Last edited by Westley Price on Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:28 am 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

This is a widely known scam which I have been warning people on RFUK and Phasmid groups on facebook about.

Long story short, they were selling them under the name "roxyandmeg" before and after I told people that it was a genuine scam with stolen photos, many buyers reported them and they got banned. They are now back under this new name though, fooling many again.

Westley, they are charging 5 times the amount of what I would call the normal price of E. tiaratum.... and to see that they are duds as well...

If you would like to see more discussions on this topic and such, join my group- "Phasmids and Mantids Group" and type key words such as "scam", "Extatosoma", "lichen", "eBay, "stolen photos" in the search bar on the right.

Current mantis species:
Acanthops erosula
Blepharopsis mendica
Creobroter nebulosa
Decimiana bolivari
Gongylus gongylodes
Idolomantis diabolica
Heterochaeta orientalis
Hymenopus coronatus
Miomantis cf. caffra "Johannesburg"
Phyllocrania paradoxa

Others: Phasmids, Beetles, Butterflies, Moths

Facebook page- "Richard's Inverts"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:08 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

I really appreciate you guys confirming my suspicions. And yes roxyandmeg was the first seller i bought from aswell! :(
ah well, win some loose some i guess, I feel that i do quite well selling my black beautys, Id give them away if i could, so im not too bothered about the money but its the principle that stings isnt it. Especially as i know other users on here put so much time and effort into their bugs aswell. hurts us all doesnt it.

Thanks again tho guys, always really appreciate the help :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:59 pm 

It's scary how every hobby, no matter how obscure, has a bunch of scammers/crooks.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:38 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

I know :( Certainly didnt expect to have to do a research/ background check on stick insects thats for sure!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:03 pm 
Just joined
Just joined

I bought some a few weeks ago and they are still for sale on ebay. Two have hatched so far but they look normal colouration. Seems like they will probably remain so.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:49 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

So I may have left negative feedback about my ebay buying experience....

The seller is now trying really hard to get me to retract my feedback - but wont refund my orders...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:21 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Well they eventually refunded me - but by 'eck, that was an ordeal!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:52 am 

The fact that they refunded you means that they know that they're guilty.

I would not retract your negative feedback. Future buyers need to be warned.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:18 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Yup! All the way through if felt exactly like I was at first school again trying to fend off a bully - with them towering over me holding my money in the air taunting me like "do you want it... are you sure you want it..." or like the time I got mugged at uni - only it wasnt a 'regular' mugging - I got scammed then too... and all the time they are constantly pressuring you to do what they want. I did try reporting it to ebay, but that report thing theyve got now makes it so difficult, and the options really dont let you flag a scam - its like they let them do it.

Glad other people are aware of it tho, especially other sellers - genuine ones! - ive got some proper macleays on the way at last :)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:47 am 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

So has anyone actually figured out what is what with these macleays / Extatosoma yet?? Is it a sub-species factor that gives them the white colouring or is it environmental / habitat /camouflage thing? Ive read conflicting info on the Extatosoma popa carlsbergi, and some info saying that it is a camouflage pattern from regular extatosoma... ...is this getting too deep for this thread, do I need to start learning Dutch?

If its a camoflage related variable then im going to give it a go and see what i can muster up (thinking whack some lichen around the bramble jar and perhaps around the bottom and glued on some sticks)

If im late to a previous discussion please link me!