It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:16 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:43 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Not really sure where to ask this, anyway one of my crested gecko vivs has got a serious population explosion of little tiny flies ( not fruit flies) but maybe skuttle flies if thats the right name. The viv is heavily planted with a bio substrate so i dont want to disturb it. I'm thinking of trying some kind of biological pest control but not sure what to use as it will probably end up as the crestie's lunch :( ,,,thinking of introducing some wolf spiders with no expense spared lol as these little flies spend most of their time on the bottom,, what do ya all think ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:08 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Bad idea as the cresties will eat the spiders.
The small flys are probably fungus knats which only live where there is a constantly moist substrate. Dry out the substrate and they will disappear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:18 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Ill try and reduce the spraying a bit, the substrate isnt overly soggy and the RH stays in the 70's but worth a try thx :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:21 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

andie wrote:
Ill try and reduce the spraying a bit, the substrate isnt overly soggy and the RH stays in the 70's but worth a try thx :)

Even if the substrate is slightly damp they will breed and lay their eggs into the substrate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:25 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Then i have a problem as i need humidity and moisture for the plants, looks like ill have to spend more time squidging them :( with me thumb lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:51 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

What about using some carnivorous plants? =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:59 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Worth a try, they may even keep the friggin fruit flies that crawl around the house down a bit lol :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:01 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

maybe introducing a couple of Pholcus phalangioides spiders would work?
they are a) small enough to avoid being obvious prey items, b)will predate happily on the knats, and c) will webb the walls and cieling of the viv to a certain extent, thus offering more pest control
they breed easily to so a hatch of 30 odd babies would all but demolish the knat problem!!

Tribadism rocks, literally..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:05 am 
Supporter
Supporter

Just looked them up on google and their easy enough to find, i wouldnt imagine they would be any threat to my geckos, ill give it a whirl, thx :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:42 am 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

The predatory mites Hypoaspis miles are marketed as a biological control for scuttle flies. They will also eat other tiny pests like other mites and springtails. Here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:58 am 
Supporter
Supporter

Thx Katherine, my wife works on a nursery, and they use biological pest control ill see if she can order me some ,,thx :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:13 am 
Just joined
Just joined

You know I think to solve this problem it would be better to ask for the help professionals. For example, you may contact these guys https://youdo.com/india/bangalore-services/pest-control-services/ I used their services twice and I am totally satisfied.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:58 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Daniel Jones wrote:
You know I think to solve this problem it would be better to ask for the help professionals. For example, you may contact these guys https://youdo.com/india/bangalore-services/pest-control-services/ I used their services twice and I am totally satisfied.

Now that post looks to be a typical "Spam - use this service" post, I'm betting the user is really a bot.

For fungus gnats / Sciarid flies control can be a problem if you cannot dry out the substrate, as the larvae breed in moist decaying vegetable matter or substrate. Butterworts work well at catching these sorts of flies in orchid houses, but you might need to make sure the sticky leaves would not be a problem for the "proper" inhabitants of the viv. Perhaps you could put a wide mesh screen over the plant if it was - flies in, not gekos. The Pholcis spider idea sounds interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:13 am 
Just joined
Just joined

andie wrote:
Not really sure where to ask this, anyway one of my crested gecko vivs has got a serious population explosion of little tiny flies ( not fruit flies) but maybe skuttle flies if thats the right name and most effective pest control in sydney. The viv is heavily planted with a bio substrate so i dont want to disturb it. I'm thinking of trying some kind of biological pest control but not sure what to use as it will probably end up as the crestie's lunch :( ,,,thinking of introducing some wolf spiders with no expense spared lol as these little flies spend most of their time on the bottom,, what do ya all think ??

Hello andie,

Wolf spiders are extremely fast and built for hunting; this means they don’t rely on webs for catching prey. The wolf spider is distinguishable by its giant body and a large tan stripe running the length of its carapace (the portion closest that looks like the spiders head), with black or brown on both sides. They have furry legs and are often confused with the nursery web spider. During warmer seasons, they can often be seen running around carrying large egg sacs at the rear end. Wolf spiders are diurnal, meaning they hunt during the day or night.