* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:45 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Finally i gave up
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:35 am 
Admin
Admin

well after thinking about should i shouldnt i for so long a week or so ago a mate come and wanted to see the spiders was 3rd time in a week i been in spider room and i felt proper rough to be honest and decided its for the best to let them go.
I have kept only 3 well 4 but one of them is going this week and i will still post about them but i def wont be getting any more spiders.
i dont know if i want something else or have a break for a while right now?
we shall see
im hoping what i kept wont make me ill as im closing spider room and bringing the ones im keeping downstairs so it will be better for me as no closed in environment and hopefully it will not affect me plus the others in house have offered to do stuff for them so fingers crossed once that rooms clean and all spider stuff gone i can start to be normal again health wise i mean not mentally that wont ever happen lol
so folks my spider days are officially over now

Post subject: Re: Finally i gave up
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:52 am 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Hi Shaz,

Just dropped with your post right now. What is the reason behind that? Any kind of allergy maybe? I used to keep tarantula for some years and the time for cleaning the cages was a real nightmare for me due to urticating hairs...

Sorry in advance if this is something you have talked about in other posts :)

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:25 pm 
Admin
Admin

Its fine and yeah the hairs made me ill was a massive build up i think first time around i had to quit cos i mostly kept brachys and was so rough i thought i had a blood clot at one point my legs swelled mostly we found out its cos i sit on the floor and the hairs kinda just rubbed in.
Now my skin is a delightful array of scabs and red swollen lumps which i kinda got used to although the itching i havent lol
its the looks i get which really got me although was handy if you was in a rush in a Q and people move away lol
I also started to get very short of breath and feel pretty rough after just going in that room so i decided i have enough going on health wise right now i need take a break.
i dont know if my skin will go back to normal i would like to think it will but im guessing over the years i have a chance i might look like i have some lurgy for ever lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:49 pm 
Really getting into this place

Hope you feel the real benefits soon.It must be hard for you loving them so much and the time you have spent over the years . We will always be bothering you for advice :lol:

Don't ever say goodbye Aglais urticae

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:01 am 
Admin
Admin

It was a very odd feeling to be honest.
I don't have a bound like I would a cat or dog but it's really weird now i just Have the 3 I'm keeping.
I'm sure I will get something else in time just not hairy spiders lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:24 pm 
Admin
Admin

Sorry to hear you've given up. :(
Were you okay with old world species? The only species I react badly to is any Pamphobeteus sp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:07 pm 
Admin
Admin

i couldnt tell in the end Alex i was feeling so rough opening the roaches so i kinda dont know.
still feeling a bit cruddy now as trying to move these remaining 3 around and clear out the room i can only a manage about a hour a day lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:27 am 

I've moved over to the dark side lately...I'm at about 120 t's at the moment :devil:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:18 am 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Wow 120! That's a huge number Alex! I imagine you'll be breeding your own live food as well right? I never had more than 50 and I can tell they were a lot! :yikes:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:07 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

i would have a lot too, but they keep on dying on me. no idea why.

not sure if id buy any more :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:11 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Hey agrius, do you think they could be passing away during the molt process? If so, have you checked humidity level during this period? I always tried to keep them moist in these moments, and in general I kept humidity level higher when T's were lings than when they were adults.

Another important parameter is temperature, but not so important while you have constant temperatures over 20 ºC and not extremely high.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:19 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

ive no idea isaac. i think maybe ive been keeping them too humid if anything in the worry that they will dry up. could that be killing them. or mites?

only one was molting at the time. that one lost legs, then died. most of the others just died suddenly for no apparent reason, although the feather legged baboon was ailing for a long time. maybe that was a clue i was keeping it too humid. im keeping these last ones dryer. only giving them a tiny drop every few days.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:31 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Hmmmm :hmm: Maybe you can try to increase the size of the containers, use a good ventilation and leave a wet cotton piece or small tap containing water near a corner. These bugs are smart so they will move closer to the water source if they need it, or just try to avoid it :)

Did your lings feed regularly?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:36 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

yes they were fed often and generally fed well. i shall watch these last ones with interest.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:18 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Isaac wrote:
Hey agrius, do you think they could be passing away during the molt process? If so, have you checked humidity level during this period? I always tried to keep them moist in these moments, and in general I kept humidity level higher when T's were lings than when they were adults.

Another important parameter is temperature, but not so important while you have constant temperatures over 20 ºC and not extremely high.

Ambient humidity levels have absolutely NO bearing on the moulting process whatsoever.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:02 am 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Hi peterUK,

Of course there are other parameters which appear to be more determinant, such as temperature. But there are studies since the 70's-80's reporting that blood volume increases in the pre-ecdysis state for T's, due to an increase of spider hydration. Blood pressure and blood shift among the different parts of the spiders (ocurring prior to ecdysis) play a very important role during ecdysis. Moreover it has been reported that dessication processes of just 1 week resulted in approximately 20% decreases in blood volume for some tarantula species, specially for small sized specimens. Additionally some of these reports suggests that when a loss of body contents due to, for example, bleeding when losing a leg, these animals replace the lost volume with water.

So if humidity have no bearing on the moulting process then I have been extremely lucky as I didn't lose a ling nor an adult for years! :) Maybe the fact of spraying some water in their tubes or maintaining always a water source does not help for the moulting proces due to relative humidity increase, but for sure it does help the spiders to be hydrated.

Cheers :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:14 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

You two seem to have had this argument before. Sounds like my little diagreements with sexpanther about where whether emergence in moths is triggerered by temps or almost entirely by their built in biological clock.

About humidy and molting in spiders. Not an expert in that,or anything much, but some insects are definitely affected adversly by low humidity when molting. Id expect both insects and spiders to require conditions they evolved for, including humidity. Some would be more flexible than others, ie ones that live in variable habitats.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:02 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

agrius wrote:
You two seem to have had this argument before.

Really :hmm:

While i do have a few hundred scientific paper on Theraphosidae, on tarantula care I rely solely on my experience of keeping over 100+ species for over 35 years :D

Experience and academia are 2 totally different things and hands on experience beats the academic scholar almost every time :thumb:
There is a big difference between raising a few dozen tarantulas under laboratory conditions (and usually killing them at various stages throughout the experiment to get the results needed to write the paper) and an experienced hobbyist raising multiple slings of a single species to adults and then breeding them (and I very rarely buy less than 6 slings of any species to raise, which is probably why I have on the last count, over 800 tarantulas of 77 species)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:01 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

you seem to have a lot of spider experience. so generally speaking , is it better to keep most tarantulas on dry substrate most of the time or dampish substrate. i suspect mine have been dying because of over misting. how good ARE spiders at conserving moisture, generally, compared to insects...which are extremely good in this respects with their water tight exoskeleton. im much more of an insect hobbyist than a spider one. maybe ive been assuming wrongly that spiders are poor at conserving water and dry up easily

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:38 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

agrius wrote:
generally speaking , is it better to keep most tarantulas on dry substrate most of the time or dampish substrate.

It will depend on the size and species of the spider. I keep small slings on damp substrate and gradually let it dry out as the spider gets larger but will keep a damp area around the waterbowl for the species that prefer more humid conditions. If the spider is noticed constantly in this area or is found in or crouched over the water bowl then I would up the amount of water poured into the substrate so that the damp area gets bigger.

agrius wrote:
i suspect mine have been dying because of over misting.

Possibly but they've probably died because of stale, stagnant humid air

Misting does nothing apart from making the hobbyist feel better and raising the ambient humidity for an hour or two.
Have you every misted a tank and noticed that only the top few mm of the substrate actually gets wet, leaving the bottom substrate level dry ?

agrius wrote:
how good ARE spiders at conserving moisture, generally, compared to insects...which are extremely good in this respects with their water tight exoskeleton. im much more of an insect hobbyist than a spider one.

Truthfully I have no idea about insects as i only use them as food for spiders but arachnids are basically a sealed unit with a thin waxy covering preventing moisture loss. Very small slings have yet to gain this waxy covering which slowly builds up after every moult. Species that naturally occur in a desert environment have a thicker waxy covering and (obviously) rainforest species will have a thinner layer but can slowly gain a thicker covering if kept in a drier environment over an extended period of time.

To keep a spiders tank humidity raised it is much easier and better if water is just poured directly into the substrate. Slowly pour the water down the side so that the bottom layers are damp but the surface is dry or almost. The water will slowly rise and evaporate giving the tank a constant humidity level :D
The hardest part is not pouring too much or not enough water for that particular tank. It is ideal to let the substrate almost totally dry out before pouring more water in. After a while you will just pour enough water in to last a week without thinking about it. :wink:

I wrote > > > THIS < < < a few years ago that might help you.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:46 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

that is great info peter. thanks for the link.

i definitely think now i have been keeping them too humid or more likely too little ventilation for the dampness. your experiment is interesting. if even avics do ok in dryer conditions as long as given access to water, fairly dry conditions must be tolerable to less humidity requiring species. i have been keeping them dryer and so far they seem fine. the spiders i have (left) are orange baboon, togo starburst, venezualen sun tiger, white striped bird eater, trinidad chevron and my trusty old salmon pink bird eaters.