* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:46 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Recived my Indian flower matids from Agrius on wenesday :thumb: I managed to count them the other day and there are 14 littluns so I have a fair chance of getting someware with them barring disaster 8) I've kept this speicies befor but this is the first time I'm going to attempt to breed them so wish me luck everyone :)

First instar C.Gemmatus, Indian Flower Mantis.

I know there not brilliant photos :P I only have a basic point and shoot but I'll keep you posted as frequently as poss with a pictorial diary on my progress :)

Night or Day, Ying or Yang, Good or Bad, Chicken or Egg which came first doesn't matter neither can exist without the other. SAN '13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:31 pm 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

They're gorgeous! Good luck from me! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:07 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Thanks Rockwolf :) they are lovely and get better and better looking as they grow too!

Night or Day, Ying or Yang, Good or Bad, Chicken or Egg which came first doesn't matter neither can exist without the other. SAN '13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:28 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

All the nymphs have sucessfully moulted into the 2nd instar so heres more piccys :)

Looking very cute.

Even cuter!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:40 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Ooh good luck :D Mine are just behind yours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:56 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Thanks Mazzer :) hope you have good luck with yours too!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:34 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:29 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Well all seems to be going ok with these guys and they've started to moult into there 3rd instar :) so far just over half have made the change so I'm gonna have to get some bigger f.flys as the larger matids are getting through quite afew in a short time!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:42 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

good pics. mine are mostly 3rd instar.

i think i have over 60, which isnt too bad to look after so far. just gave them a good feed of wild caughts so should be ok for a while.

i made a ff culture in a big plastic sweet jar a while ago, using potato granules (mr mash) as the base. as well as the recommended water i mixed quite alot of sugar, yeast and vinegar. its been very very good - plenty of pupae and just a slight vinegary smell. it went moldy on top at first but thats completely gone due to the amount of larvae. its basically now an explosion of pupae on top!! :wink:

Attachments:
drossies.JPG
drossies.JPG [ 694.88 KiB | Viewed 5453 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:10 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Lol, Agrius that mash mix cant be beat for rearing large amounts of fflys and I'd recommend it every time. All of mine are now 3rd instar and I'm trying to make up my mind wether to put them all into seperate containers or grouping them together :? any thoughts on this ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:44 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

That looks great. I experimented with several different fruits etc and they just all started hatching today. The banana produced the most flies, half a banana fed my mantis for nearly a week. I will be sticking to mash though, just because of the smell. Do the adult flies feed on the mash at all? I noticed they were feeding and getting really fat from the fruit, they were about twice the size of freshly hatched FF, and probably a lot more nutritious.

Mantis are looking good too, mine are around 3rd instar now. I'm worried I will lose track of the instars at some point as I have some still at first instar. It's confusing because they have been offered the same amount of resources but just don't seem to be keeping up with the others.

I imagine this instar and the 4th will be the awkward stages where they transition between FF and larger flies. I started offering the 3rd instar the smallest roach nymphs I have and they all took one. Hopefully this means they will be able to keep up their growth rates and not have to be constantly eating tiny FF. 2nd instar nymphs were too small to be able to over-power the roach, although they would initially pursue and grab the prey, they would all let go within 10 seconds.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:51 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Dranared69 wrote:
Lol, Agrius that mash mix cant be beat for rearing large amounts of fflys and I'd recommend it every time. All of mine are now 3rd instar and I'm trying to make up my mind wether to put them all into seperate containers or grouping them together :? any thoughts on this ?

separated, you won't get losses through cannibalism, but its much more work and doesnt guarantee they wont have bad molts. you also dont see the interaction/survival of the fittest thing.

what you do depends on how many you've got, as losses don't really matter much if you have enough. you only really need one pair through to adult( i found mating them was very easy). and also how much you can feed them of course. keeping them together means you have to feed them well every day, and even if you do, you will almost certainly lose some anyway. separating them means you can be a bit more casual.

i think its more fun keeping them together, even though its a high risk strategy! and if you have alot, its the only practical option really

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:57 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

mazzer10 wrote:
That looks great. I experimented with several different fruits etc and they just all started hatching today. The banana produced the most flies, half a banana fed my mantis for nearly a week. I will be sticking to mash though, just because of the smell. Do the adult flies feed on the mash at all? I noticed they were feeding and getting really fat from the fruit, they were about twice the size of freshly hatched FF, and probably a lot more nutritious.

Mantis are looking good too, mine are around 3rd instar now. I'm worried I will lose track of the instars at some point as I have some still at first instar. It's confusing because they have been offered the same amount of resources but just don't seem to be keeping up with the others.

I imagine this instar and the 4th will be the awkward stages where they transition between FF and larger flies. I started offering the 3rd instar the smallest roach nymphs I have and they all took one. Hopefully this means they will be able to keep up their growth rates and not have to be constantly eating tiny FF. 2nd instar nymphs were too small to be able to over-power the roach, although they would initially pursue and grab the prey, they would all let go within 10 seconds.

i think a 4th instar could take a small greenbottle, even a 3rd instar could if v hungry. your right, they are a bit of an inbetween stage, and will take a hell of alot of ff to fill up on.

im not looking forward to feeding bigger flies. it means buying castors and its a pain tbh. i wish i could breed them, but ive tried - and its not nice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:45 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Sorry I've been a bit usless with my postings recently :roll: got alotttt going on at the mo (good stuff that is!). Hope these pictures will do for now :P

4th instar.

5th instar newly moulted.

Face off between a 4th and 5th instar!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:50 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Nice :) Mine are the same sizes, expecting some maturing soon.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:22 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

mine are just a quarter grown, so it will be ages till they are adult. i counted them and theres about 80 nymps in there :?

they are looking really good. i can see them without a microscope. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:59 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Lol, They were teeny weeny when they first arrived Agrius and I was afraid if they escaped I'd never find them again :? They are very well behaved mantids and never realy made a bid for freedom even when the lid is off and your desperatly trying to round up fruit fly that go everywhere apart from in to the cage :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:21 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

they were damned fiddly and annoying to get into the pots when i was sending them though.they dont like being picked up and run away, jump around, play dead, anything to avoid going on the paintbrush i use to trasfer them. really quite annoying little bleeders actually. the easiest way to move alot is to pooter them. they are small enough as hatchlings, and it doesnt hurt them :twisted:

ive lost little mantids before but they often easy to spot because they climb up to the window or the top of any objects in the room, and go ...hellooooooo. :D ive even found them on myself quite a while later, unharmed!. and caterpillars too. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:42 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

One of mine disappeared once but it emerged on top of my tv about an hour later. :whistle:

Mostly losing mine to cannibalism nowadays :roll: I'll still end up with more than 20 adults by the looks of it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:59 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

mazzer10 wrote:
One of mine disappeared once but it emerged on top of my tv about an hour later. :whistle:

Mostly losing mine to cannibalism nowadays :roll: I'll still end up with more than 20 adults by the looks of it!

they will look really cool in a cage together. i left my 3 adult females together for a day as an experiment (had ooths by then), and all they did was box each other. they didnt look like they were trying to grab hold. what they would do at night is another thing. all my losses to cannibalism happened at night

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:38 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

agrius wrote:
All my losses to cannibalism happened at night

It could be that they couldn't see each others dance moves, there sight is good during the day and probably not so brilliant at night :( so leave them a little night light on and see if that helps :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:32 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

thats a very good idea. not only can they see their chums are not prey, but can defend themselves / run off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:25 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Sorry I've been a bit tardy with my posts recently been messing about with my web site and art/origami over Christmas and was a little hung over from new years :lol:
So heres a few photos I've got to get going again!

Just moulted from L5 to sub-adult and looking a little like a miniture PiƱata!

Inspecting my origami paper.

Lovely pose!
I'm hoping to get some photos of the adult mantis with the wings extended but as the ones that have moulted so far have not done well expanding there wings and look a bit like shriveld prunes stuck to there backs (my fault for not having it humid enough, be careful with that!) I've upped the humidity now so fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:13 pm 
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:17 am 
Supporter
Supporter

Nice looking female :)

Has anyone had any pinkish ones yet? I managed to get my one to breed with a female, though she ate him :fight: I don't get to pin him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:25 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Very nice Brandan :)
Mine have been a bit better at expanding there wings but not fully successful :(
I really don't understand why I'm having this problem as if I make there habitat any wetter I'd drown them :? All the previous mantids I've ever had have all managed fine even the ones with large wings that take a while to expand!
Mazzer I have a pink female, a slightly browner female and a very pale almost white body female. The whitest one was the first to adult and is ready for mating but the male I have still hasn't moulted to adult yet probably due to the colder spell we've had :roll:
If anyone can spare an adult male I'd happily pay for one so I've got a back up male just in case he doesn't make it :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:54 am 
Supporter
Supporter

Yeah my females all came out with weird wings apart from one, looks like it may have caused difficulty with mating.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:10 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

i have 2 adult males at last, but both have deformed wings. the terrible conditions during the winter could account for it i suppose.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

My male mantis must have sensed I was getting miffed the little b..... :P as he just finished expanding his wings after moulting about an hour ago :o
So now let's see if he gets his wicked way or gets his head bit off or both :twisted: but he'll get a bit of a reprieve until he's ready for action!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:08 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

you shouldnt have any problems mating them. just make sure she's expanded to maximum capacity. :D

he should pretty much jump on as soon as he sees her.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:16 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

:( well my one and only male has copped it and I still have 9 virgin females Baaa, I introduced him to several different females and he just sat there like he wasn't interested at all.
This week he refused all the food offered to him and this morning found him on his back twitching :mad:
So he possibly may have got a infection of some sort though none of the females seem affected and they are eating well :?
Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:33 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

dunno sorry. i have 2 adult males, you could have one of them if you want. both have deformed wings but otherwise ok.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:19 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Thanks for the offer Agrius but I wouldn't want to reduce your chances by 50% so don't worry it was great to raise so many together and gave me a good insight as to how hard it is to get enough to adult for breeding.
I just found it tough to loose the one male but natures cruel and I'm not sure I'd have coped with hundreds of nymphs if they had mated and produced offspring :o
The females are still going strong and only one has gone legs up since my last post :P
On brighter note I've obtained a couple of beautiful African Lined mantis females one of which has just moulted to sub adult so I'll post some photos soon :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:33 am 
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

This species is a bugger for deformed wings i am only keeping popa spurca, idolos, and deadleafs at the moment.