* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:53 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:01 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Here you go

Camera isn't brilliant, it is much more pronounced to my eye than it is in this picture. His eyes are green too :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:46 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

he looks great. none of mine are adults yet and i only have about half left. every time i look one or two are being noshed :?

so i need some fly pupae quick. do they sell them in the winter. how much are they these days?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:12 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Any fishing shops near you? Not sure what to suggest since I bred my supply in the shed :lol: I don't have any to spare otherwise I would offer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:46 pm 

Ooooh, nice indeed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 am 
Supporter
Supporter

That nice coloured male is now piggyback on a female! Fingers crossed. This female has slightly deformed wings because she moulted in the two days I wasn't in. I'm pretty sure her jar was humid enough, just typical! :lol: Hasn't impeded breeding efforts as of yet..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:20 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

one of my 3 females got deformed wings (couldnt close them properly) because she molted hanging from the mesh covering the plastic tub. they seem to need to cling from the sides so their wings can hang down when drying, so they fold properly. the other 2 molted from the sides and were ok.

hope u breed them. im not sure many of mine will survive now as its got so cold and ive run short of fruit flies too. in spite of my efforts, they just arnt breeding very well atm. they do best at about 25c and they are only about 15c

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:46 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Just wondering what ratio of male to female you guys got as out of all of the ones I have I've end ended up with just one male to eight females! :roll:
So far three females have moulted to adult though I must have not had them humid enough as they didn't expand the wings properly so I've upped it with bug gel and damp tissue (one is real fat and looks like she'll explode!) and the rest aren't far off final moult. :)
I gave up feeding flys to mine a while ago as they were soooo hungry and switched to small crickets which they chased down as soon as they were put in there containers so you could try them Agrius as they are more readily available at rep stores. :thumb:

Night or Day, Ying or Yang, Good or Bad, Chicken or Egg which came first doesn't matter neither can exist without the other. SAN '13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:19 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

My males outnumber the females 4 to one, most of the males moulted to adult long before the females did so I'm a bit worried about longevity.

Will try and get some more pairs tonight and maybe rotate some. Hopefully I will have at least three or so gravid females but I only want one to be honest as breeding FF is a nightmare at this time of the year and my heated cabinets are full and I have no spare space!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:44 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

sadly many of mine have died due to the cold but i still have about 20 hanging in there. the trouble is the viv only has a small heat mat and its so cold some havnt been feeding very well. unfortunately their fabric sided cage wont go in my big heated enclosure as its full of my hercules beetle in 25 litre tubs, and its completely dark in there anyway (its for beetle grubs so doesnt matter) so they couldnr feed well anyway - and will eat it other anyway with the higher temps. ive rescued and potted up the best 4 female nymphs i could see individually and also 6 males and put those in the heated enclosure so hopefully i'll get a few through. hope they have good night vision!! the others will have to survive as best they can in the cooler viv but i doubt they will live. hopefully we will have some warmer weather soon and they'll perk up. its 8c in the 'bug room' (6c in rest of house), 20c in my heated enclosure, and only about 12c in the little viv. eek :?

about sex ratios. they seemed about equal. i didnt count but i saw lots of both. the males seem to be maturing far faster and some have swollen green wing buds, but all the females dont even look like subadults yet.