* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:52 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:37 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

I managed to get a ooth from ebay and it hatched on friday so far I've got 35 nymphs the ooth is still producing nymphs but only 3-4 per day after the first mass hatching :lol: and I cant see it producing many more as its now been almost 5 days from first hatch 8)
I put 8 into individual cups and split the rest between two large containers with twigs and shredded paper so they can hide and cling on safely. I'm feeding them a mix of blackflys and fruitflys and so far they seem to be doing well.
If anyone has any raised these befor let me know and we'll swap notes :)

These mantis are v.fast so taking a photo is a bit of a hit and miss affair!

Night or Day, Ying or Yang, Good or Bad, Chicken or Egg which came first doesn't matter neither can exist without the other. SAN '13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:05 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Well I found out these can be a bit tricky but I'm up for a challange lol, the problem seems to be getting them through to 2nd instar but I can say that so far I've got a few changed into 2nd instar now so I hope the rest will follow through ok as well :thumb:

2nd Instar,spying lunch.

Now enjoying lunch :lol:

Night or Day, Ying or Yang, Good or Bad, Chicken or Egg which came first doesn't matter neither can exist without the other. SAN '13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:03 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

They have started to moult into 3rd instar now piccys to follow :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:04 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

These are lovely little mantids, super fast so I have to watch out when its feeding time what with chasing fruit flys and trying to stop these turbo charged mantids racing out of there cups :crazy:

Turning a much greener colour now.

A 2nd instar, top. 3rd instar, below.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:28 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Just finished separating them into into individual pots as they are all now third instar and don't want to loose any to them munching on each other.
Got 22 out of the original 37 through, so not too bad on losses, about comparable to the Creobroter gemmatus I had before. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:51 am 
Really getting into this place

Well done, these are a nice species and very pretty, the blue panel on the forearms are very impressive. The only problems we have had is getting them past 4th generation in captivity, But they are well worth the work.

Has anybody else noticed that the smaller the mantids are the more work they are :)

Regards to all

Graham

Also on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/metamorphosisgb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:26 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Thanks Graham :)

Yes the smaller they are the harder it is rounding them up at feeding time!
Got a bit of a problem with a fruit fly population explosion here but found a handy way of capturing them on you tube the other day;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL78eVVW9_M
Its shown as tip number 5 on his list but some of the other tips are handy too :lol:

All potted up, with small cotton pad which is dampened each time I feed them in the bottom of pot, a strip of paper towel taped to the inside and paper towel lid.

Greedy mantis :o
I'll be giving them larger greenbottle flys when they move up to 4th as they are demolishing 6 or more large fruit flys each at feeding time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:24 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

First one moulted into 4th instar yesterday and I managed to sex them at the last feeding session. Got 8 males and 14 females so if I manage to get them all to adult fingers crossed I should have a decent chance of breeding from them!

4th instar male, now you can just makeout the little blue spot on the forearm.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:21 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Great thread......i loved the mantis's i had, crackers they were! some nice pics there!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:47 am 

They are a real nice and easy species, very under rated, they are superb as adults and for a small mantis have great attitude!
Keep on sending the pictures :)

Regards to all

Graham

Also on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/metamorphosisgb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:34 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Now into 5th instar :)

Had a few unexplained deaths over the last couple of weeks all looked perfect and feeding well but just dropped dead :? I'm down to 7 males and 9 females now so I hope there is'nt any more casultys :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:17 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Now going to 6th instar and the females are approximatly a smidge over 2cm, males 1.5cm.
They realy activly hunt food and I've seen them jump across the container to capture a meal as soon as its dropped in! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:43 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

More piccys! :D

Sub-adult Female.

Sub-adult Male.
Should be getting some to adult soon 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:09 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

First one has moulted to adult :thumb:

Adult Female.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:05 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Got my first male adult :kp:

His rear right leg has bent slightly when he was drying out but other than that he's feeding well so alls good so far. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:36 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

I put the male in with the female yesterday. He was definatly interested and within a minute he'd jumped on her but she seemed a bit cool and not at all bothered by him being there so I left them to it, just checked on them every now and then just in case gulp!
Anyway I've no idea if they done the deed :? As this morning he had left her and she was ignoring him, so I've put them back into separate containers.
Shall I try again in a few days do you think?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:56 pm 

I would, give him time to recover if he has done it then reintroduce them, just dont leave it too long and have th male drop dead :P

My Flickr photo album

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:46 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Thanks for the tip Morpheus, but I think they did mate just didn't want an audience lol :roll:
She's eating like she's starving and getting really fat!
The male I put in with her has died but I have three more adult males and two adult females with another male sub and female sub to go so with any luck........

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:11 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Well after what seemed like an eternity my female has finally produced an ooth!! :kp:
I have no idea if it will hatch but will keep it warm and mist the container, just more waiting Arggg :lol:

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:50 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Ok a little update :) my little female is still going strong and happily feeding! She's just laid another ooth over the weekend, but hasn't had access to a male so as I have no idea if this species is pathogenic its going to be interesting to see if it will hatch :?
Am I right in that the female mantis can store sperm to fertilise multiple batches of eggs or is that wrong? Also what is the approx time span from laying to hatching for this species?
The original ooth I got online at the start of this thread hatched in about five weeks from receiving it and I don't know how old/young it was beforehand. :hmm: