* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:47 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Just got a stunning pair of these from AES on Saturday :D The male loves to pose for the camara but the female is a bit more shy :lol:

Sub adult female.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sub adult male.

Night or Day, Ying or Yang, Good or Bad, Chicken or Egg which came first doesn't matter neither can exist without the other. SAN '13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:21 am 
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Love these always sell well too, I made a lot of money breeding these which helps to buy new species !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:51 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

I'm not surprised they are so popular Brandan they look amazing! Every time I see them for sale they are sold out and I've been disappointed :(
I've read that they're not too difficult to breed so with a bit of luck........

Night or Day, Ying or Yang, Good or Bad, Chicken or Egg which came first doesn't matter neither can exist without the other. SAN '13

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:44 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Noticed the female was getting ready to moult last night and was a good distance from the bottom of her enclosure so left her to it.
Found it hard to leave her and go to bed :lol: as I like to watch them moulting!
Anyway got up to find a perfect adult drying herself :thumb:

Having a wash :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:14 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

I find they prefer flying insects as prey items. This species.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:54 am 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

They do look fantastic, particularly the female you have! I've never watched a mantis shed before, I bet that is something to see! I've always found the skins on the floor and the mantis drying out on a branch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:47 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Ryelle wrote:
They do look fantastic, particularly the female you have! I've never watched a mantis shed before, I bet that is something to see! I've always found the skins on the floor and the mantis drying out on a branch

Behold!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:08 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Mr Bee wrote:
Ryelle wrote:

Behold!

Thank you VERY much! I enjoyed that. The final shot is amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:46 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Ryelle wrote:
Mr Bee wrote:
Ryelle wrote:

Behold!

Thank you VERY much! I enjoyed that. The final shot is amazing.

No problem.

It can be a disaster if they fall mind you.

Most tend to die unless you catch it fast enough and try to reaffix it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:29 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

My sub male decided to moult while I was cooking Christmas dinner! So it was a good thing he managed it all ok :D
The female has got a nice big abdomen now, so I'll give the male a chance to mature a couple of weeks and see if I'll get a mating 8)

Looking good!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:51 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

A few more photos for you of the adult male :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:57 am 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Oooh he looks great!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:43 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Shikaboom wrote:
Oooh he looks great!

Thanks Shikaboom :)

Update! Placed the male in with the female on Tuesday and they got it together last night Yay! so with a bit of luck I'll have an ooth or two in a few weeks 8)
Didn't get to photograph them in the act as I didn't want to disturb them but did get a piccy of them together this morning and he's showing no signs of releasing his grip on her!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:37 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Woot! Keep the updates coming. These are so lovely.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:55 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Eeeek!!!!!! She must have been fit to burst and couldn't wait to lay! As she was laying an ooth first thing this morning and has only just finished as I write this post :o
I did a bit of film on my ipad but haven't a clue how to edit it or put it on here so any help would be great!
Some photos for you :)

Laying the ooth, quite an intricate process and took aprox 1hr to complete!

Finished! She still looks quite fat so there may be a few more in there. I'll rest the male and see if I can get them together again next weekend 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:37 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Haha, that was quick!

Dranared69 wrote:
I did a bit of film on my ipad but haven't a clue how to edit it or put it on here so any help would be great!

If you have a youtube account, you can download 'Youtube Capture' on your iPad to upload videos to your account and then you could embed it into a post on here.

Current mantis species:
Acanthops erosula
Blepharopsis mendica
Creobroter nebulosa
Decimiana bolivari
Gongylus gongylodes
Idolomantis diabolica
Heterochaeta orientalis
Hymenopus coronatus
Miomantis cf. caffra "Johannesburg"
Phyllocrania paradoxa

Others: Phasmids, Beetles, Butterflies, Moths

Facebook page- "Richard's Inverts"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:49 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Ok! Here is the results of my YouTube adventure :o hope it shows up ok, so this is the link to my first attempt at film!
http://youtu.be/PQafmoeyMs0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:40 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Second Ooth :kp:

A bit bigger than the last one approx 1.5 inches in length. I've kept the two of them together in a larger enclosure as they don't seem to mind as long as there's plenty of food buzzing about 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:16 am 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Congrats!

Current mantis species:
Acanthops erosula
Blepharopsis mendica
Creobroter nebulosa
Decimiana bolivari
Gongylus gongylodes
Idolomantis diabolica
Heterochaeta orientalis
Hymenopus coronatus
Miomantis cf. caffra "Johannesburg"
Phyllocrania paradoxa

Others: Phasmids, Beetles, Butterflies, Moths

Facebook page- "Richard's Inverts"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:07 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Thanks Darkrai283, it might be my imagination but the first one she laid looks like its swelling slightly so there may be the patter of tiny feet soon!
I ordered a batch of flightless fruit fly last week so should have a good supply by the time the ooth hatches 8)