* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:31 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:31 pm 
Walnuts anyone? :lol:

Well these are the Giant Pill Millipedes that I just got to add into my millipedes collection. Have been wanted them for a year now and I managed to get some, AT LAST! :kp: And the best is I got more than what I bought from the seller too. :clap:

They are very fragile though, whenever they feel a slight movement, they just curl back into a ball. So I am leaving them for now until tonight when I go and look at them again.

They are really cute millies. If anyone can tell me what they are exactly, I would be grateful. I think they might be Giant Malagasy Emerald Pill Millipedes but not 100% sure.

Oh well whatever they are, I think they are ace! :D

(Please note that are green in colour, but whenever I used the flash to take pics, they came out in a totally different colour :oops: )

Smirfy Cow Pat, you def need to have these, they are very you, your style of the liking. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:01 pm 
Really getting into this place

Aww they are beauties, bet they cost you a small fortune lol!

chris,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:15 pm 

Keep us updated on how they go Felix. They look like a Madagascan species to me, but ive no idea about species. Could well be juvaniles.
I am keeping some of our native pills at the moment, and they are very fragile. They also dont seem to be doing too well on a rotten wood and leaves diet, so il probably put them back this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:25 pm 
Severum Boy wrote:
I am keeping some of our native pills at the moment, and they are very fragile. They also dont seem to be doing too well on a rotten wood and leaves diet, so il probably put them back this weekend.

Not too sure what the species are, but the seller only told me they are Giant Madagascan species, so you are right. He also told me these eat a lot, mainly rotten leaves. And he sent me what they're eaten atm. He also told me they are not keen on veg, but I can still put some in.

Chris, they are not as expensive as I thought, and the seller sent me what I asked for, so I say it's really a bargain. :lol: Of course as long as they don't die on me and I find a way to take care of them, then it will be great!

Mirf, told you, you will love them. :wink: But since you called me "Double cow with a cherry on top" this morning, I am not too sure about you now. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:28 pm 

cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:32 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Very nice, sorry i never got any at the BTS. Even though you say they are not brown, they remind me of the ones that come in from Nigeria. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:33 pm 

very nice millipedes, from the info ive read the giant madagascan pill millipedes are very difficult, if not impossible to keep in captivity though unfortunatly.

Theres info on them here,

http://www.goldenphoenixexotica.com/pmilcare.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:42 pm 
Kevin wrote:
very nice millipedes, from the info ive read the giant madagascan pill millipedes are very difficult, if not impossible to keep in captivity though unfortunatly.

Theres info on them here,

http://www.goldenphoenixexotica.com/pmilcare.html

:cry: I will see how it goes.

Wayne the pain, they are not very brown but they are not very green. :? I mean, they are in btween of both colours. It is very hard to describe. The seller I got from breen them, he has a lot. So I am just putting what he gave me for food in there atm and see how it goes. I might actually ask for a care sheet from him as well now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:43 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

nompotm

Great picture, I have made it my desk top background.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:46 pm 
plant wrote:

Great picture, I have made it my desk top background.

Thanks but are you mad? I only took the pics quick this morning. lol :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:02 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

I think it's interesting, never seen their faces that close, great colours and pleasing symmetry too, but mainly the subject, I've always had a soft spot for pill millipedes :crazy: . My last desktop background was an image of Morpheus's with a milky white recently shed roach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:05 pm 

secpotm
i really like that pic, it reminds me of a baby lol!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:28 pm 
plant wrote:
I think it's interesting, never seen their faces that close, great colours and pleasing symmetry too,

Look everyone, I DID NOT pay plant to post this. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:40 pm 
When is Mark going to work early? :wink: I don't want to get blame again with my generosity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:04 pm 
very nice walnuts :P

And im going to tell Mr Cow pat, your 2 are scheming behind his back :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:15 pm 
My mistakes. I have exhanged so many emails with the seller. I just re-read all the emails, he infact has told me these pill millies are Globotherium sp. We talked about different type of pill millies, apparently these are not hard millies to keep.

Quote:
I don't know the latin name of the pillbugs, im still trying to find out. They are of the Globotherium genus, but I can't be any more accurate than that with regards to a specific species.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:27 pm 
I was under the belief that all pill millipedes were extremely hard to keep. Wish you the best of luck and keep us updated!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:27 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Aww I'd love some of them :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:30 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Cool, well done on getting these Felix :P , i always think they look more like giant woodlouse than millis :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:38 am 
Thank you Ben. They have been really active since 10pm last night and they are still awake at this time of the day. I noticed they have eaten some food which I put in, so, so far so good.

Got a care sheet from the seller as I wrote to him yesterday. This is what he told me where the pill millies come from etc. So there is a bit hope that they might be okay to survive in captivity.
Quote:
The Giant Pill Millipedes are from Asia and they are not as difficult to keep as some of the other varieties of pillbug. (It is the largest 'Green Monster' / 'Green Giant' African variety that never survive in captivity because no-one actually knows how to keep them and feed them!)
The asian pillbugs you now have grow to around 5cm (2 inches). As far as their latin name goes, I only know that they are from the Globotherium genus. They are very active...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:59 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

If you successfully breed these and sell any I'd love some,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:00 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Hope all goes well with them. And can i be first on the list when you breed them :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:08 pm 

lovely millipedes
good luck with them, the madagascan giant ones are a nightmare
keep a diary or something of how they get on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:43 pm 
lol you both, wayne & zirliz, it's very early days you know. But fingers crossed and hope they are doing well, then I can start thinking of that. For now, I just hope they are not going to die on me. With the care sheet the seller sent me, I am a bit more positive now. He can breed them, and I hope I can get the help from him. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:30 pm 

I wish you so much luck Felix I really do.
I know the survival rate of Globotherium is tiny, the maximum verifiable record is 7 months. I would just keep this in mind, and that the seller may not be telling the whole truth. I just dont want to see you have hugely high hopes, then get them crushed if they start to die off.
Sphaerotherium from Africa are easier to keep, living up to 2 years in captivity, so it might just be that these ones you have are of a different type, and are just the pillys that the hobby needs.