PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:22 pm 
Really getting into this place

Again, brought from Alienmarky!

Post subject: Re: Burmese Millipedes
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:39 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Awwww.... cute. Mine look just the same.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:43 pm 

Thanks louise! How long have you had yours? How long did they take to mature?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:26 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

I bought some as babies from a lady that worked at Swansea university some five years ago. This year they are breeding like mad. Had loads of white babies which are now starting to take on pink colour although it's patchy like one of the ones in your picture. May I ask what you paid for them? Please pm me feather than post here. Of my original group of six I only have three now. 2 males and a female. They are in with some giant train millipedes. They have also been breeding but haven't seen babies in main tank. Some time I remove the trails for a few days for shows and have found babies and eggs in there - I usually put them in the main tank so hoping there are babies I just haven't seen them or they are still White and I'm mistaking them for the burms. Mind you they are bigger from birth and go black quicker. I try not to touch the main tank and the substrate is coco fibre and a mix of oak and beach leaves also some small lack/beach sticks on top with a few more leaves. I keep it a little dry and spray eveything now and again with a long soak every few months to re wet the substrate. You can see when it's needing more water with the colour change in the coco fibre. I find they eat the wood but haven't seen them eat any old leaves. I five them bananas and mushrooms, also cucumber, apple, Mellon, sweet potato and peelings. Some they eat some they don't and it breaks down well. I did notice that after 8 months I have woodlice and a few small worms in there. I guess from the wood. I did soak the wood in boiling water but I guesssome eggs survived. No cenipedes seen. I had a problem years ago with a pachnoda beetle tank where centipedes started appearing Nd the beetle larva numbers went down. Maybe praying on eggs and small larva. I have a look from time to time but nothing seen. I guess the worms and woodlice help to keep it under control. I have noticed that the damn mites that come in from the trains like it... They are a pain. I tried those preditor mites last year but they didn't work to well. I might try it again next year. They don't live on the Burmese millipedes.