* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Spirostreptidae sp8.
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:31 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thought I'd start a proper diary thread for these so I can refer back to it for things I notice, and get some photos up now and then.

Had these 6 months now, my first millis, great fun to watch - very active initially, lots of mating (but so far no eggs) and exploring, the male liked to sunbath at the highest points of the tank.

Male came to me with existing shell damage, but I've kept a close eye, and taken vet advice on it as well, treated it as far as possible and it certainly doesn't seem to be spreading at all.

More recently the male has become less active, spending weeks at a time underground, although the female still comes up and wanders about.

I wondered it this was substrate related, like maybe the surface nutrients were gone, and underground was more suitable as a result, so I've swapped it out entirely, added more rotting wood and leaves tried some variations in depth as well, and I have some ferns to go in as well.

At the moment both of them are pretty active, the female seemed very concerned about the male when I first put them back in the tank, and went straight to him, spent ages fussing over him. They seem pretty coupley like that, but I'm assuming that's standard behaviour for millis.

I'd really like to get these breeding.

Cheers.

Attachments:
millicouple.jpg
millicouple.jpg [ 261.85 KiB | Viewed 1727 times ]
millicouple1.jpg
millicouple1.jpg [ 316.35 KiB | Viewed 1727 times ]

Post subject: Re: Spirostreptidae sp8.
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:52 am 
Admin
Admin

I dont know much about these but i know they can take ages to kinda just get it right and the female find it right to lay her eggs and stuff.
so maybe your just gonna have to wait and hope unless anyone with a lot more knowledge can help :)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:40 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thanks Shaz, I started a seperate post for breeding advice so fingers crossed!

I'm playing with the humidty levels at the moment and seeing how that affects them, I'm curious if the male will become more active with higher humidity - I read that curling up underground is a reaction to it being too dry, so hopefully I can sort that out.

Got plants going in tomorrow, kinda sad that I'm excited about that! :lol:

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:57 pm 
Really getting into this place

Good observations! I have never seen a female act in such a way. I have seen the males fussing over females, but assumed that was an attempt to induce mating. Never seen the females fuss over a male. I don't think millipedes "groom" each other.

What is the humidity levels currently? I have never actually tried to get such a measure in my tanks. I just keep the substrate moist and spray the surface every other day or so. since I live in a desert, I doubt the humidity would read very high. But as long as the substrate is kept very moist the millipedes should be OK.

Keep in mind that winter is coming to an end. Most of my species become inactive during winter. I keep them at 20-24C year round. But they still "go under" in the winter. They don't hibernate and will occasionally be seen slowly meandering across the surface. Perhaps your male is just a little slow to wake up this spring?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:45 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thanks for the advice Hypoponera - the humidity is currently averaging between 70-80%, I'm trying to make sure it doesn't get too wet in there now whilst still keeping the new substrate damp.

She's displays quite a lot of interesting behaviour towards him, she used to walk along his back a lot, and then sort of nuzzle at him, especially if he was eating, only seen her do it once recently though.

They both seem to be enjoying the plants, I planted some Meadow Spikemoss (Selaginella apoda) and the male immediately trampled through the middle of it!

He's now spending a lot of time half above ground, like sticking out from under a log, or with both ends of his body underground, but with his middle overground.

You might have a point about winter you know - I forget that even though they're indoors, the temperature still varies for them, so the increased activity could be coincidental and more related to the change in weather - it's been pretty warm here lately.

I'll keep an eye on things and see how they're behaving over the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:27 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Got a couple of shots of the tank, kinda the same shot twice actually! :lol:

Attachment:
millitank.jpg
millitank.jpg [ 409.55 KiB | Viewed 1692 times ]
Attachment:
millitank1.jpg
millitank1.jpg [ 461.95 KiB | Viewed 1692 times ]

Looks bland through the camera if you shoot from ground level, so I'm gonna add some higher stuff to fill the vertical space better.

Got some pics of them enjoying the tank too, they're mating frequently at the moment so that's cool.

Attachment:
millitank5.jpg
millitank5.jpg [ 175.86 KiB | Viewed 1692 times ]
Attachment:
millitank4.jpg
millitank4.jpg [ 237.21 KiB | Viewed 1692 times ]

The male has been quite into the hygrometer today!
He suddenly got shy in the second shot but I quite like it because his legs are a bit more visible.

Attachment:
millitank2.jpg
millitank2.jpg [ 194.93 KiB | Viewed 1692 times ]
Attachment:
millitank3.jpg
millitank3.jpg [ 225.58 KiB | Viewed 1692 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:08 am 

Great photos! Doesn't look too bland to me. In fact, I think I will use your layout as a basis for my next tank remodel. Do you know if the species is a climber? If they are not, then filling the vertical space might be best done by adding more substrate.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:26 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thanks, honestly though - it's bland if you look at the entire tank, the floor is busy but there's a lot of emtpy space vertically - I'll try and get a photo later to illustrate.

Not sure if they're classed as a climbing species, but the male used to spend a lot of his time climbing on logs and sitting up on the higher points of the tank, so hopefully he'll use the extra bits.

Good point though - if he doesn't use them, I might top up the substrate.

Actually I might top it up at one end anyway and have a slope or something.

The plants i added the other day - the male is absolutely loving the Spikemoss, spends a lot of time there - and has been curled up on it all morning napping!

Think I might have to get some more of that.

Attachments:
millinap.jpg
millinap.jpg [ 145.38 KiB | Viewed 1683 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:45 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Managed to get a shot of him climbing - he does this a lot and will sit about for aaages on a branch, although he prefers ones that are a bit more horizontal so that he can hang down off them.

Attachments:
milliclimb.jpg
milliclimb.jpg [ 212.88 KiB | Viewed 1667 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:37 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

cracking pics......i missed this thread until now...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:24 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thanks SP - been watching these over the past week or two, since the weather changed a bit for the cooler both adults have been up and about a lot more.

When I first got them last October they were both very active, but have had some long periods of inactivity since, and now they're super active again, lots of mating, the male is climbing branches etc.

Thought they were both fully grown but now I wonder if the female is due a moult, she's gone very dark compared to the male.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:14 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

just looked up to see the female happily trundling across the ceiling of the tank, not seen her do this before!

not the best photo, but you get the idea.
Attachment:
millimiss.jpg
millimiss.jpg [ 284.31 KiB | Viewed 1584 times ]
I was a bit paranoid she'd fall, but she was super careful on the descent, leaning down carefully and checking things out with her antennae until she found the branch, so although I've not seen her climb much before, she clearly knows where everything is, and remembered her way back to it.

the male on the other hand, has decided to take a break from climbing to discuss his new found love for oats with the resident woodlice.
Attachment:
millimr.jpg
millimr.jpg [ 232.67 KiB | Viewed 1584 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:26 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Stunning millis and really interesting thread! Keep it up!
Also, I love your tank layout! Definitely isn't bland at all!