* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:22 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

You'll all think I was a bit mad buying these but I just could'nt not get them they are sooo lovely! Just like a giant version of the ones in the garden (not gray and black though).
I have them in with the Rainbow millis with plenty of deep sub mix of rotten wood (Oak & Beech) leaf mould and leaf litter, a medium soft branch (I think it's Oak) with lots of lychen growing all over it and a few bits of mossy Oak bark and a 2cm layer or so of sand in the bottom.

Most of them have now dispersed around the tank and dug into the substrate. Saw one munching on a bit of rotten wood this morning so thats encoraging to see 8)

Night or Day, Ying or Yang, Good or Bad, Chicken or Egg which came first doesn't matter neither can exist without the other. SAN '13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:22 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Very cool love this sp. Hope you do well with them, if i remember rightly thgis sp has been bred in captivity :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:39 pm 
Really getting into this place

Beautiful!! I had no idea there were pill Millies that could survive in captivity :P if you get babies then give me a shout :D I'll have my wallet open and ready!!

Best of luck :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:12 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

thedanman13 wrote:
Beautiful!! I had no idea there were pill Millies that could survive in captivity :P if you get babies then give me a shout :D I'll have my wallet open and ready!!

Best of luck :)

No not by me, was on a German or French millipede site.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:14 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

He said these can be bred, but it's not an exact science :lol: Looks like you are off to a great start though!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:42 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Thanks guys! I'll try my v.best to keep them going. I have ten of them so hopefully I might be in with a chance breeding them just need to give them a bit of time and lots of luck!! :)

Night or Day, Ying or Yang, Good or Bad, Chicken or Egg which came first doesn't matter neither can exist without the other. SAN '13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:12 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

They seem to have settled in well and there are four large ones that trundle around on the surface munching on bits an pieces of leaf etc..the rest have disappeared underground :lol:
Last night the four of them all piled together in one spot! One had traveled from one end of the tank to join in, did they just find something very tasty or did I see mating behaviour ? 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:13 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

I absolutely love these pill millipedes. I would be content enough to have some Glomeris marginata if I could get my hands on them.
Good luck with them!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:53 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Thanks Satchellwk :) think there doing ok can't really tell without disturbing them as they've all dug into the leaf litter sub! Though most mornings if I'm up early I've seen one or two on top but they soon disappear when the light goes on lol.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:42 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

A few piccys for you!

Munch, munch.

Got a good look at the underneath like this as when you pick them up they instantly curl into a ball :lol:

This one appears to have a couple of dark spots on its carapace, probably damage from when it was moulting.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:28 pm 

Just bought 5 of these beauties (between 1-4cm in size) from Bugzuk :) and i was just wondering how these are getting on?

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:16 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

thedanman13 wrote:
Just bought 5 of these beauties (between 1-4cm in size) from Bugzuk :) and i was just wondering how these are getting on?

Hi there Dan, well I've still got 4 of them but no signs of active breeding so either I've not got the conditions quite fine tuned enough for them or I was unlucky to get all male or all female pillys. :(
So its in the lap of the gods as to if/when anything happens :roll:
Good luck with yours :)

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:13 pm 

Aw only 4 :/ Doesn't give me much hope haha :L I'll try my best :P Gonna go out tomorrow and collect lots and lots of leaf mold/litter, soft white rot beech and maybe some small oyster mushrooms to see if they like fungi :P ..... gonna try to get as much variety as i can, might try a couple different types of wood/leaves and give them fruit and stuff too... see how they do :)