* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:02 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1072 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:58 am 
Just joined
Just joined

good to hear that someones stock is doing well. i also bought mine from devon butterflies sadly only 5 hatched. the two i have are still very small 1 has just reached 2 in star from feeding on privet while the other is still one the first i guess I'm in for the long run with these two :kp:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:20 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Four have started colour change and racing round the cage, weights 16, 16, 18 and 20g with larger ones to follow by the look of them. Must be luck of the draw with the eggs. Hopefully all finish eating in the next couple of days. About 35 days hatch to pupate when all done at 20c. Pics to follow.

The large leaf garden privet I use was cut right back last winter and the growth has been particularly lush this spring, might make a difference. Hope other stocks pick up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:34 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

glad your keeping these going. i think im done with them now having raised hundreds of them. i like this artistic pic of disintegrating dead ones last year.

Attachment:
P1010303.JPG
P1010303.JPG [ 265.54 KiB | Viewed 1504 times ]

and pic of a mass larvae raising. good times :kp:

Attachment:
p1010344.JPG
p1010344.JPG [ 658.79 KiB | Viewed 1504 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:03 am 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Fab pics there Agrius.

No drama with these ones all 11 pupated and they weigh in at average 8g (7.8 minimum) M (six pupa) and 10g (9.5 minimum) F (five pupa). These are the largest I have breed to date so must be a good stock. will be a few weeks before they are out I expect so no privet raids for a while.

Picture of the nice green colour on an 18g one earlier this month.

Attachments:
13502022_10154018106916998_3403460149806095198_n.jpg
13502022_10154018106916998_3403460149806095198_n.jpg [ 60.37 KiB | Viewed 1475 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:46 pm 
Really getting into this place

thats a heavy bunch of individuals you've got! nice job

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:35 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

weights seem a little on the low side, esp the females. my female ones were mostly hovering around 15g, but often more.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:03 am 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Hi Agrius, the pre pupa cats were from 14 to 20 g so well up to normal size. The weights above Are tha pupa - about a g heavier than Any I have breed before on average. Never had pre pupa cat of less than 11g which is really small. Weight loss on putative is just under 50%. Never sure whether it is from the gut or skin. I guess it goes to hardening the soil cell under natural putative.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:02 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

oops, i thought you meant larvae weights. so seems like yours are well up to par lol :oops:

10.2 g is the lowest weight that i recorded once.

not sure where the weight goes. a lot is just gut content that is ejected during the wandering, digging down and cell making process. they probably cement to walls of the cell with a substance too, maybe some kind of antibiotic gunk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:03 pm 
Just joined
Just joined

Hey glad to hear your stock is doing well. My two catty s are doing fairly well one is huge 22cm and the other isn't doing so well. In the last two days he's become sluggish and won't move but he is still alive :) unfortunately I can't move him out of the box and it's full of frass any advice

Attachments:
File comment: Small 1
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.99 MiB | Viewed 1428 times ]
File comment: Big 1
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.74 MiB | Viewed 1428 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:55 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Can you tip the frags out? I usually don't put tissue in the box but just the floodplain as that way the caterpillars hold on to the twigs and you can lift them out to clean without touching. Is the little one L5? Or is it about to shed to L5? Might explain the inactivity. I usually keep larger caterpillars in net cages or in the open feeding in privet stems in jam jars, stems last for about four days. I punch holes in the lid to take the stems So that the caterpillars don't go down into the water and drown. Need something to catch the frags if in the open otherwise domestic harmony is upset! Yours look quire yellow, mine were the green form, interesting. Best of luck and hope the small one cheers up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:45 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

22cm ????

that would easily be biggest caterpillar ever lol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:25 pm 
Just joined
Just joined

Hi all, I've just joined this post as I have recently acquired some ddhm eggs. I got them on the 2nd July - I bought 15 eggs just to see how I got on as I am not very experienced with moths and butterflies. I had the eggs in a dry petri dish with nothing in there. I have had 9 hatch out which I was pleased with, they hatched on the 6th. Since then I have kept the caterpillars in the petrie dish at room temperature (around 20c) wih nothing on the base and been feeding them on privet. They seem to be growing, certainly getting fatter anyway! I am planning on upgrading them shortly into a small plastic tub and doing as instructed about and putting a vent in the lid with either fine mesh or kitchen roll as the vent. Does this rearing method seem OK?
Here are the little cuties!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:21 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Looks ok, but id put them in a bigger tub full of privet stems. Dont leave any dead space or they may starve and keep away from direct sun and dont put them on a heat mat directly. At these temps they wil be fine with room temps. Above 20c is what your aiming for. You can leave the tub for a few days to get setled and grow, which is good because L1 are so delicate.They are very easy to rear in summer but let us know how they do

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:57 am 
Just joined
Just joined

Well my larger dhhw had burrowed in to the dirt after turning a shade of brown I moved to other catty into a net cage and it's growing well it's reached 20 g not cm Soz I'm gonna leave the catty in the dirt for a week then dig out the pupa any ideas in how long it's on that stage

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:14 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

All my 11 pupa hatched about a month from pupating and are very noisy/strong, very difficult to hand feed only managed to feed all twice but they drank loads.

Many pairings, usually find two pairs each morning and about 300+ eggs laid now, far more than I need or expected. Put buddleia flowers in - big mistake - flowers are covered in eggs which are a devil to get off, I will probably leave them to hatch there. I will wait until the eggs hatch and if I have too many to handle I will sell/exchange as small cats.

Going to try alternative foods with some of these. Had read some interesting claims of raising DHHM larvae on sliced potato! will try buddleia, Privet (as usual), Ash and any other suggested plants that I can get hold of easily, any suggestions? Have seen DHHM fed on cannabis plants recently on Facebook recently but that will not be an option!!

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:00 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Currently about 200 larvae have hatched so if anyone wants some let me know.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:49 pm 

Hi, it's me again! If anyone has any DHHM eggs or young larvae they can send me, please pm me. I've got a few on me but not nearly enough for breeding.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:37 pm 

Hi guys ye don't need soil or compost for pupating Hawks a less messy idea is using a plastic margarine tub with kitchen roll on bottom with crumpled up tissue on top. Put cattie in after a couple of days wandering it will stop and pupate under the paper.
Done Atropos pine privet and elephant Hawks this year with no problems.
If ye get ova never put leaves in before they hatch the fumes from the leaves will kill them.
Always remove young catties to another box when they hatch with foodplant.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:52 pm 
Just joined
Just joined

Amazing thread this - enabled me to read from ova with no real challenges. Go Bugnation!

I am new here. Just joined as I have 7 Death's Head Hawk Atropos pupae (actually 3 of them are still 5th instar but they are wandering) that I want to find homes for.

Raised them from ova using Privet and all are strong and healthy. I am off on holiday on the 17th, so looking to find them new homes in exchange for some other livestock to photo.

Would consider anything less than 5cm in size, and it's not my bag to be cruel to anything (irrespective of whether it has a backbone or not) so would need to be able to release or send it back to you once it's been photographed.

First come, first served. Not looking to make any money (will even cover UK postage), but given that I have a side line in macro photography, anything you can send me to photograph (now or in the future) would be a fair exchange.

Let me know - just looking to help somone else reap the rewards of my endeavours!

Laurel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:26 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

hey. glad you liked the thread. we all had lots of fun rearing our deaths heads and got it down to a fine art but it petered out in the end lol.

if no one else replies, i could possibly keep them going for you, until you returned. i take it you have not seen the adult moth and would like to. they are pretty amazing.

it would be nice to rear them again. i dont have anything to swop though apart from dead specimens of various insects. cheers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:00 pm 
Just joined
Just joined

Hello all,

I have enjoyed reading this thread for the past few days, and I would love to try to raise these amazing moths. Does anyone have an idea on how I can get some in the USA? Either Ova or Pupae? I have been trying to find out if anyone is doing it here in the states, and I saw where some of you listed things on eBay, but I can find anything like that now ( must have changed their rules)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:16 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Not sure you can even import them to usa, ive heard customs are very strict with insect livestock. Maybe donald trump has done away with those protection measures though lol.

You might want to ask on the bugnation facebook page as there might be more users on it these days than here. Have you looked on the websites of worlwide butterflies or deven butterflies. They might have stock but dont know if theyd post to the usa. Otherwise your best bet is someone inside the usa. If all else fails there are plenty of hawkmoths native to the new world. Sadly you missed our little deaths head rearing club. We were all rearing them for a bit but it seems to have completely died out now. You might see some listed on ebay if you keep looking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1072 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31