* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: POTM Question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:51 am 
Admin
Admin

Right guys a question for you one which we have already chatted about in admin!
When POTM started it was Dave old webmasters idea and a good one at that too but it was hard work and it drifted away :roll:
we kept getting asked for it back some of them people who asked ar no longer here and i notice the entries are getting less and less but that doesnt cut dont the amount of time it takes serching for them.
The votes for it are slack no one really bothers just a select few!
I have right now 1 trophy left which covers dec im due to order more next month!

Now tell me is it worth it?
I to be honest want to drop POTM but if you all want it i wont!
In place of it i would do maybe twice or even 4 times a year photo show comps offering a prize for the winner!
this might get more people jkoining in as YOU choose to enter the picture rather than other choose for you?

If you think keep it would you rather see a small prize rather than a trophy?
maybe each month the prize could be a different invert or livefood? this way if your picture gets put through at the prize is a Tarantula you can let myself or felix know and we can remove your picture!
to me that will be a lot harder but also might make more of you want to play?
anyways what you think let me know

Post subject: Re: POTM Question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:34 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

I love the POTM.
It's one of the best features on this site. It's got to stay imo. I'll be quite honest it was one of the reasons I frequented BN alot to start with and when I told friends about BN, best place to show em what BN has to offer was to open up the POTM section.

I think it can be improved in several ways though. First of all, while it is running it should be advertised more. I've nearly missed some because they only run for a week and that chosen week can be a bit random at times.

Another thing I hav e noticed is how much work felix goes through looking for the pics that have been nominated. This just seems like such an inefficient way of doing things. I'm sure sam could come up with some code that would alert felix every time a potm or 2nd potm pic is posted or if that is too much work even something simple as adding a rule to POTM, saying whenever you post a POTM you must pm Felix at the same time.

I'm all in favour of getting rid of the trophies. Prize sounds good but I don't like the idea of some1 winning and having to resign winning POTM because they are not happy with the prize. Surely they can decide to just take the nomination and accept no prize if they want?

I also like the idea of the photo show comp. :thumb:

Livefood

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:12 pm 
Blackmelo, I am going to reply your post. But don't take any offend. This is just down to my observation since I get all the norminated pics.

Blackmelo wrote:
I love the POTM.
It's one of the best features on this site. It's got to stay imo. I'll be quite honest it was one of the reasons I frequented BN alot to start with and when I told friends about BN, best place to show em what BN has to offer was to open up the POTM section.

If you love POTM, then please norminate photos as well. There is no point just not get involve. Have to say this out loud, we hardly even have photos being norminated this month. And it's only less than 2 weeks, Decemeber 2008 is history. (May be it's not the right time and a lot of members are busying organizing their Christmas.)

Quote:
I think it can be improved in several ways though. First of all, while it is running it should be advertised more. I've nearly missed some because they only run for a week and that chosen week can be a bit random at times.

Every single day you can norminate photos that were posted on the board, any sections and anywhere, but I noticed, no one except a few members who do that religiously. As I went through every single photo thread, there are a lot of stunning photos but no one bothered to norminate but only just comment "nice pictures" etc. So if they are nice pictures, surely members who comment that like those pictures, so why write the words instead of using nompotm or secpotm?

Quote:
Another thing I hav e noticed is how much work felix goes through looking for the pics that have been nominated. This just seems like such an inefficient way of doing things. I'm sure sam could come up with some code that would alert felix every time a potm or 2nd potm pic is posted or if that is too much work even something simple as adding a rule to POTM, saying whenever you post a POTM you must pm Felix at the same time.

No point to worry they way how I searched for photos if it is inefficient or not. Samm has suggested a way how to do it in the past. I have also my own method to get all the pics and it is working fine right now. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't bother to even ask samm to think of some sort of code to alert me again. I always put a reply on the POTM thread, apologizing for missing the norminated photos that month (if I have) and asking members to PM me. But members still ignored the post BUT PM'd Shaz, at the end of the day, just gave Shaz more work to do to forward all the PM'd to me. If you suggest any members who norminate a photo and PM me, for one reason, I honestly do not want PM just about POTM, and if you ask members to do one more thing, not all members will do that religiously and at the end of the day, it probably will put them off even to do the first norminate, i.e. to save all the hazzles and PM felix too.

Quote:
I'm all in favour of getting rid of the trophies. Prize sounds good but I don't like the idea of some1 winning and having to resign winning POTM because they are not happy with the prize. Surely they can decide to just take the nomination and accept no prize if they want?

There are a couple of winners that didn't want to have the trophies since the POTM is running. If they don't want the prize, they can say that out clearly before they win the competition IMO. There are 7 days to get members to vote for that month POTM. So they could really point that out saying they didn't want the prize before the competition even ended. Not too sure if you have followed this or not, both competition have to re run for another 7 days.

How I felt have already said in the admin section. But I said this again that I am with Shaz to drop this out. What Shaz suggested is better IMO. Shaz run a Rabbit photos competition a few months ago, and although there are not everybody's choice of topic, members did enter thier photos of their own, which were very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

felix93 wrote:
How I felt have already said in the admin section. But I said this again that I am with Shaz to drop this out. What Shaz suggested is better IMO. Shaz run a Rabbit photos competition a few months ago, and although there are not everybody's choice of topic, members did enter thier photos of their own, which were very nice.

If you are not happy running the POTM felix I'm sure there are plenty who wouldn't mind. I don't see what the big problem with only even just 1 picture beeing nominated. You are all acting like this is the end of the world. Oh no only 1 picture, lets close it down forever? It's december, its dark and cold out, course there aren't going to be any great pics atm.

I suppose you two see all pics if they are nominated or not but not all members browse the board that often and surely they appreciate the POTM cause its a summary of all the best pics they might or might not have seen.
There must be 100s who don't visit that often but if they were to visit right now, they'd all agree so vote atm is about 300 :2 :thumb:

Livefood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:11 am 
It is not just considered this lightly, that's why Shaz raised the question on the main board, NOT just asking all the Admins and Mods to decide. Okay, Shaz only just asked the question today, but how many people really will answer her question? Oh may be members just bother to read but no comment. Great isn't it?

You can see the changing. It doesn't bother me if I have to spend days and nights trying to look for the pictures, I agreed to do this in the first place, so no matter how many photos are being norminated, I still just doing my job on the board. A competition is not just one picture and that's it. If people are that interested, there should be a second normination instead of me second the photos almost every single one. If a few admins / mods put their *can't be bother* attitude too, there will be no photos in the competition.

Shaz asked the question, hoping there is some sort of other solution to make the competition more interesting, not just trying to shut everything down (otherwise, I think she would have shut the whole board down months ago with all the headache she has to face.) I don't think it bothers her that much if POTM is running every month or not TBH. She still is happy to pay for the prizes which she is really out of her pocket most of the time. Has she ever complained anything? In return, just have people saying they didn't want the prizes. It's not just how much the trophy worth, it is about the thought that count. She has more things in RL to worry about. But IMO, will you want something like this that no one even bother much but Shaz just has to keep on spending? I don't feel right myself if I just keep on wanting and keep on taking from Shaz, but that's me. May be for members, only just one click and oh yes, they bother this month, so they vote, otherwise, s*d it. But Shaz still has to spend and worry about the prizes.

Check this out
the first month April, we have 74 norminated photos entry, with 57 votes
in May, we have 55 norminated photos entry, 49 votes
in June, we have 60 norminated photos entry, 41 votes
in July, we have 70 norminated photos entry, 76 votes
in August, we have 40 norminated photos entry, 54 votes
in Sept, we have 32 norminated photos entry, 66 votes
in Oct, we have 21 norminated photos entry, 44 votes
in Nov, we have 16 norminated photos entry, 44 votes
this month, so far we have a whooping 6 nominated photos.

So from Sept onwards, we have cold dark weather, there shouldn't be any good pictures? I can tell you, I went through all the photo threads, there are some stunning photos there, they are all taking indoors (how many people will take their taurantulas or roaches outside and put them on a tree or somewhere and take pictures? :hmm: ). I have first norminated some photos, 3 or 4 days later, no one even bother to second them, the threads were already being pushed down and doubt anyone would bump those threads up. They are not even in some sort of rare sections, in fact it's in Beetles section, at the end, I just asked Shaz to second the photos for me. It's not the first time, it happened since POTM is back TBH.

I am just putting my opinion here, like it or not, that's how I feel. If POTM is still up and running, I am still doing my job, searching all the photos. If not, I won't even miss that.

I'll get my coat, long day for me. Besides I have my family to worry about instead of just thinking of POTM at this time of the year. :P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:33 am 
Drop it I see it as another popularity contest. Some people could photograph a paving slab and get nominated well in the past they could. Other people post nice pictures and nobody bothers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:46 pm 
Admin
Admin

The trophys cost me roughly £6 a piece so to me 1 picture does make me think is it worth it?
If i do a prize its again nout of my own pocket and after a while all this ads up!
Some of you was great with what you donated and it paid for the upgraded hosting and left some over for the next although the next years is going to kill me with way money is to be totally honest without worring about prizes!

Sadly i dont know if its time of the year or what but Picture of the month has flopped!
RFUK have this also and to be truthful theres is way better.
The rules of ours wasnt of my making i didnt think of it or start it i just played along :|

The pictures although all stunning vary a great deal and Mr T has a good point we have had a very pictures which was well err not ready for potm i think.
I like doing comps and i dont mind keep forking out for prizes but right now im not too sure!
we have dec to get through and i can always buy a single trophy for jan should it be needed before we make up our mind!

To Toms question felix is the POTM mod and if she left no one else would take over i would close it im afraid :(
It is way harder than it looks yes a code would be easier for her to find it but im afraid this also isnt as simple as it seems as its a matter of having a new code every month once we worked out how that could be done.
But yeah sure maybe thats something that can be looked into but the whole nominating pictures has flopped now which is sad i think :(

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:03 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

how is RFUK's one better?

Time to copy what works for others :wink:

Livefood

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:59 pm 

I havent read the above posts but why dont ya bung up the POTM section up near the important announcments section?
Will get a bit more noticed then i spect

My Flickr photo album

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:59 am 
Blackmelo wrote:
how is RFUK's one better?

Time to copy what works for others :wink:

Go and have a look of RFUK. I mentioned to Shaz in the beginning, their POTM is different. It's not just copy what works for others. If you think copying is the right answer, then you SHOULD start norminating photos in the first place. So far I haven't see you really do much normination except just rejected what Shaz and I have said. Remember Charity starts at home. If NO ONE bothers to norminate photos (or only 3 members answered this thread) it won't work even if works with others. :?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:47 am 
Really getting into this place

I will be kinda gutted if you drop POTM.As i didn't know about it till i got one of my pics nom'd :clap: (i've not been on too long so i'm still getting a 'feel' for it).To be honest winning the POTM would be enough for me,i don't really think a trophy is that important Shaz.But i understand this all still takes time and we all know that aint free :mad: .If you drop it,not to worry,i got nom'd at least! :clap: But you've still got the best peeps on any forum i've been on before! :thumb: :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:51 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

well said arachnidman.

Felix, I nominate a pic a month on average I'd say. That isn't too bad. Have even had an entry in it once now too :twisted:

Livefood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:56 am 
Admin
Admin

arachnidman thank you felix and BM stop having tiffs i shall start to think your lovers and my felix is cheating :lol: :shake:

Ok we shall carry on for a bit but time for change i think?
Let me go work on a code thing with the slave, Morph that could also work i think :hmm:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:01 am 
From now on, I ain't going to second any photos and see how it goes but I will mark down all those photos who have first normination and who norminated them and the time how long the second normination takes etc etc. Then everybody can really see what's going on. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:55 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Eeerm...when are the POTM nominations posted? :oops: ...I would miss it, as it gives good recognition to good photos when they are posted, but then again I also agree that there has been some dubious winners :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:52 pm 
Admin
Admin

everyone can pick a picture to vote for or 2nd when you reply you have the icons there just pic the one you want below smiles.
then leave it be felix does the rest once they have 2 votes!
they appear here in this section on 1st day or every month sometimes a day late but always here.
they stay for a week while people vote and we add links on OT to tempt people over here.

so simple yet seems so hard :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:24 pm 

i sent shaz a link, to my profile on another forum where i have a cyber rosette, linked to my signature,
maybe that idea could work on bugnation??