* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:47 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:44 pm 
Really getting into this place

Okay so I am sure some of have some good stories involving bugs that you can tell.
So in order to get them out of you I am offering 10 baby Gyna Caffrorum nymphs to the person I find the funniest.(If theres a tie will call in some extra judges lol)
Anyone in the UK can enter and only one entry per person :)
Closing date for entries 8th of june. Looking forward to hearing some good'uns ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:44 pm 
Admin
Admin

I will think of something! Guessing you mean summin that has happened to us bug wise?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:33 pm 

yeah like today I had a cockroach run into my mouth while putting into the new tubs bleh. Or even involving other people and bugs just as long as its your story if that makes sense. Could be your OH's response to first seeing your collection even include family member stuff :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:51 pm 

Or another example would be like . . . When my first T shed her skin for the first time I left it on my locker and went to school. After a few hours I was called out of class to the office saying my mam had called and seemed very panicked. When I picked up the phone she was frantic saying she went in to put clothes away and my tarantula had escaped and attacked her and she had broke it trying to get it off her . . . After a few minutes I thought it couldn't be my tarantula and remembered I had not said anything about the shed skin so when I got home I went to investigate and sure enough there it was in pieces on the floor lol. Apparently she had moved it while folding clothes and it seemed to get caught on her clothes she then panicked and slapped it . . . repeatedly. My poor mother was white as a ghost thinking that she had been attacked. Took a bit of explaining that it was just the skin to calm her down. She was even asking if it had bit her would she die. After getting her calmed down I showed her the remains of the skin then showed her the tarantula safely in its tank. Was the last time she went into my room haha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:33 am 

Last year i thought it would be fun to cook my family a dinner.... a very special dinner.... 'Bush Tucker' style :P

For the main course I threw together a chicken caesar salad with a twist. As well as the usual ingredients i decided to add some chopped mealworm fried in bacon fat and seasoned with chilli powder. The fact that the they were chopped up disguised them completely and nobody suspected a thing... in fact, they loved it! :twisted: Muhahahah!

For desert, i settled on a simple 'Saharan Sundae' :laugh:

Ice cream, toffee sauce, raspberries and chocolate covered locusts. Delicious!

Unfortunately, this is the point at which my cover was blown... chocolate covered locusts are feckin rank! :laugh: (and not easy to disguise!)

Hilarity ensued as my family turned green and darted to the bathroom almost as one, i wish i caught it on tape :P

Suffice to say, my family didn't see the funny side and were less than happy with me :laugh:

This was truly a 'you had to be there moment' and i doubt it comes across very well over the internet but hey what can you do! :P

Also, they still don't know about the mealworms so don't go telling :wink:

(p.s. All the mealworms/locusts i used were bred by me so i controlled exactly what they ate and the conditions in which they lived :P)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:03 pm 

nothing as grand as that :lol: but my old lady once swallowed a fly !
I don't know why she swallowed a fly but she was convinced she may die :?
well to remedy matters she swallowed a spider but turns out it wriggled & jiggled inside her causing all manner of tummy upset .
the upshot was she thought maybe swallowing a bird to catch the spider might help
add infinitum :wink:

Quote:
“thing is mate the RSPCA giving you the approval is like getting Stevie Wonder to play connect 4 with you"

Quote:
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:03 pm 

Lol dan. Was that the last time they asked you to cook for them??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:14 pm 

Surprisingly no :laugh:

I actually really enjoy cooking, and i'm not too bad if i say so myself :P, so my parents are happy to let me cook for them after telling me that if i ever cook bugs for them again then they'll "break every bone in my body" :laugh:

I do plan on experimenting with bug dishes in the future though as i am one of those weirdos who believes that we should eat bugs as part of our every day diet. They are much more sustainable, cheaper to raise, probably healthier for us and better for the environment than our standard meat producing animals :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:49 am 

I remember reading that story in a book in primary school SD. . . Memories lol

You do have a very valid point but how hard would it be to get people to eat them. Images In a lot peoples minds are that they are dirty and gross :(

You must have been good to keep them from finding out until dessert lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:17 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

This is probably only funny to me and Mark, as I suspect it was one of those "we were in a silly mood" moments and you had to be there but:

Feeding the mantids and one mantis ate the roaches ass then dropped the rest, which consisted of the head and two pairs of legs. The roach was still very much alive, on its back and spinning around furiously, waving it's remaining legs around as if trying to find its missing parts. I have a habit of "speaking for the animals" (a skill learned from my nan and makes me look pretty crazy having full on conversations with what is essentially myself) and piped up in a roach-like accent "my ass! I can't find my ass!" Mark continued (in the same accent) with "OMG is it bad? Does it look bad? I'm gonna die aren't I? I CAN'T FEEL MY ASS!" and though we felt bad for the poor little guy, we were full on giggling for ages as this poor chap relentlessly spun round and round seeming increasingly more desperate, looking for his missing ass.

Updated species list!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:24 am 
Admin
Admin

Do you know how hard this one is?
I have been trying to think for days of something funny bug related that would be funny proper funny to anyone else and i have nothing
So best i can tell you is the same reason BN was started i guess lol

Lewis my lad had a massive fear of bugs passed down from my mum it was the sorta fear that if he see a ant he would run screaming up the road if a bee flew past that was it doomed you had to watch him all the time incase he run off in road cos a bug flew near.
So in 2004 year after my mum died i thought i must cure this fear its not good at all and didnt help the other half was scared of spiders so when he see one it was scream for me and Lewis picked up on this more.
So we spent that year trying to go on mini beast hunts collecting snails and stuff and taking him to butterfly farms and stuff where he was hands on with things that couldnt hurt him.
It started to work well first time at butterfly farm i could of died when he run screaming out on seeing them second time i took him back you would think i was taking him to have teeth pulled i had to carry him in.
but we had a break through he let them sit on him and was so happy when we left.
so im looking through ebay when we come home to find bug related things like pictures and books and spot stick insects on there! shock horror i didnt know such things was sold there.
so i spoke with lewis and we decided we should buy some indian stick insect eggs and watch them hatch and maybe this would help as they are leggy and bug like?
and only eggs which prob wouldnt hatch anyway right?
i paid my 99p for however many eggs i brought and when the parcel arrived lewis was sitting on sofa ready for school so i sat next to him opened the box (which was rather large for eggs but whatever) and inside was a tub with the real insects i was very chuffed at this lewis at first peered in at this tub of bramble and lil baby stick insects and made lil aww noises :mrgreen: so chuffed
his took the box and watching them walk about smiling when from under the bramble come a big mummy stick insect the box was thrown in the air stick insects and bramble everywhere which fell back on us :|
and lewis screaming squish it squish it kill it kill it over and over louder and louder :lol: ( that was the funny bit but one of them you needed to be there and a story thats been told many times since lol ) getting more upset by the second as he had them on him and i was trying to get them off as fast as i could in a panic cos anyone would think he was being murdered.
After clearing him off bath and change of clothes he went to school telling me he hated them and make them gone before he come home :? (i didnt know how to do that)
I spent the day thinking i will have to keep them in shed or something till they die :lol:
as luck had it he come home from school telling me he wanted to look at them again and he did and he was cured and was him that mostly dragged me into bug keeping as he wanted it all and i have no willpower lol
so that my dear if the best i got :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:54 pm 

Yeah I realised after I put it up this was gonna be tough lol but I thought it would be a nice change from photo comps and its great to hear the stories :) (partially cos I am a little nosey)
Months later how over run with the stick insects were you?? lol And I have a nephew that's the same as Lewis was. Should have seen his face when I was taking care of a mates adult goliath tarantula while he was away! he stopped visiting lol.
Good story btw some of the new members might like to read that ;)

And Rather than post twice . . . One day left guys got some good ones but want to hear more :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:25 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I was on the phone to my friend and my other half was repotting a P.smithi juvenile. I heard a yelp and saw that the spider had ran off and came to a stop on his groin. I was trying not to laugh down the phone and ended up saying to my friend sorry but iv got to remove a pokie from a penis. As soon as we put the spider back i picked up my phone then it hit me what i had actually said. Took some explaining thats for sure XD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:55 am 

So, not something that happened to me, but my wife..
Growing up in South Africa, she woke up one night (I think she said this was around age 10) to find a baboon spider crawling across her chest - obviously some screaming ensued and her dad came bursting through, took one look, then being a wildlife photographer ran straight back out to get his camera...
It's funny because I can almost imagine doing the same thing to my kids :rofl:

and I'm happy to report that after 8 years together I can now get her look at pictures of spiders without having a panic attack (but not hairy ones). And this, ladies and gentleman, is why I will never be allowed to keep arachnids :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:29 pm 

Locking this up at 10pm guys so last few hours left :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:48 pm 

Bit late getting back on but comp is now closed :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:49 pm 

Will announce the winner tomorrow :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:17 pm 

Okay after whittling it down to two then got help deciding the winner :)
Its miss cat! congratulations and could you pm me your address so I can send these out Monday :)
Thanks to everyone that entered!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:24 am 
Admin
Admin

yay congrats Cat xxx and everyone who tried and thanks Tom for doing it xxx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:03 pm 
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

Well done! And I'm still trying to bloody think of one !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:14 am 

Was fun reading them! lol

Hopefully can get some other stuff going so I can get a few babies for prizes :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:52 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Well *brown smelly stuff*. Don't I wish I hadn't had a BN holiday now...LOL.

On an aside, I hadn't realised I'd been away THAT long :(

Updated species list!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:22 pm 

Well if you don't mind waiting for a while I can send once i get everything sorted here :)