* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:48 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:19 pm 
Bought a pair of Rainbow Land Crabs Cardisoma armatum yesterday at Kettering show. I have kept them in the past but they died after a year or so due to bad molt. Anyway, the guy who I bought from saying to the other people that it's better to put just a little bit of water into the tank and use the gravel to build up like a hill as the crabs like to climb up and just sit there. And all he does is just give a dish of water (one of those small plant pot plates) and some apples and fish flakes in another dish and that's it.

I have been searching care sheets all morning, most of them suggested brackish water, fill up half a tank but with landing for the crabs to climb up. And also put some hiding place for them to hide and sleep at night.

Now I am puzzling which method is the best. I had these crabs in the past and they came with water iin the bag. And when I got the pair yesterday, they came in a box with no water (but their habitate has not much water in anyway). So what is right?

Since last night, I just settled them in a plastic big tub 3'x2'x2' with a thin layer on gravel on one side and a small litter tray with water in the other side. And some hides. Both crabs just went under the hides and hide there until this morning. They look pretty happy atm but I don't want to be wrong and give them a wrong "crabitate".

Any suggestion please? Thanks.

PS I noticed they have eaten the plum from which I put in this morning, and they have a swim or dip in the litter tray as the water is a bit dirty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:58 pm 
Really getting into this place

when the pet shop near me has them they have a tank about 3 foot long with about 3-4 inches of water over about 2 foot of the tank with built up gravel at the other end so rabs can get out water if they want

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:59 pm 

Theres a caresheet for these on my site, Ive kept my ones for years, they have both shed several times, always in the water, so water deep enough for them to bathe, preferably heated and filtered, as well as a large land area should be fine. They'll eat most fruits.

http://www.exoticpetsuk.com/cardisomaarmatum.htm

They dont need brackish water, it wont harm them though, my ones has always had freshwater.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:24 pm 
Thanks.

(For some reasons, I thought Kevin you have kept them in the past. It's your set up I saw when I asked about other crabs care sheet before I think.)

They have eaten plu today and now in the hide. I put another tub into a bigger fish tank (instead of the tub), filled with water and then put gravel on the other side. So they can get in and out of the water if they wish instead of filling the whole tank with water. They seems happy about that. I will continue do the their tank out until I know for sure what they want.

I remember when I had my past pair, they only just lived for a year, due to bad molt, (yup, both of them have bad molt) and I kept them mainly in water (with just a bit of land for them to climb out), they constantly wanted to come out on the land area. So This time I am going to do half and half and see how it goes.

More questions later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:51 pm 

How are your Crabs doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:55 pm 
Great stuff that is a mean picture.

great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!