* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:26 am 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Aside from the hilarious name of this little group of inverts, does anyone know anything about the range of species that are available? I like the look of the Giant Emerald species but I'd love to find a slightly smaller one that could be kept more easily in large numbers. Are there any breeders who regularly stock Pill bugs?? They're fascinating little beasties; I have some of the standard English grey ones hired as cleaning crews atm.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:47 am 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

None of them are easily kept in any numbers mate I'm told...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:29 pm 
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Seem to last a few months then die off, don't recall anyone breeding them. Emerald ones are rarely if ever available for sale.

LivefoodsForGood.co.uk << Click to Visit The Site
High quality livefood packaged to order, sent fresh from the breeder and only 1.39 a tub.
30% of profits supporting reptile rescue and conservation charities. Same day despatch.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:42 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

I have the common european ones...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:12 pm 

The giant green species is a millipede, not a crustacean. I think almost all of the Armadillidiidae are small and sombrely coloured, though interesting in their own right.

If it is pill millipedes you are looking for, give up. No-one has successfully bred them in captivity, and people managing to keep them alive over 6 months is extremely rare.

However, there is hope. By chance, I have just seen my pill millipede, the British Glomeris marginata, in the tank next to me, who is about 7-8 months old. It lives in a large tank for wood-feeding cockroaches, and it seems to get along in there fine. It came in with some wood I put in, and is now an adult (it has moulted at least once as I have found the shed shin). You can find them on occasion in beech or oak woodland in rotting vegetation, especially wood. Based on what I have seen of mine, they appear to be highly selective feeders, who probably eat fungi. If you find some, take a large quantity of the substrate you find them in back with you, it is quite possible that they are adapted to eating only the local fungal fauna.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:59 am 
Just joined
Just joined

we keep native pill louse and pill millies and both are breeding in their containers and also in our community tank. We have 7 maybe 8 spieces of wood lice, 2 of wood pills,we have at least 12 diffrent types of millipdeds all native to uk.we have Armadillidium vulgare in red,and yellow/black we are trying to breed them all yellow some are 65-75% yellow/gold after 4 generations so a little way to go as yet.the red is still waiting for a mate as we only found it 3 weeks ago :lol: ,Armadillidium depressum we got last year and we have young this year.
Glomeris marginata we have had for 4 years and they have breed for last 3 years.
The substrate we use is a mix of pure moss peat(no added chemicals or ferterlisers)crumbled well rotted wood from oak or birch,we tried pine but they didnt do well with it(the millies that is) and we crush/crumble very dry oak leafs we mix well and put about an inch in their containers,they also get a well rotted piece of wood too,1 end is covered in leafs thats the end we keep damp
we feed them extras like flaked fish food,carrot,cucumber,potatoe,yeast,readybrek, catfish pellets they look and smell like tiny trout pellets millies love them
They dont get that lot all at once we give a bit here and there though cucumber,carrot and potatoe are standards in with certain types Blaniulus guttulatus and Proteroiulus fuscus always have potatoe in their containers.