* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: OAP Ferrets
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:29 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I have 3 ferrets, 2 rescues and the other from a vet after someone dumped it. The first 2 are now 8 and half years old, so they're very close to death. The male is a cream colour who used to be really tubby, but his back and hips are wasting away whilst his belly is huge. I obviously took him to the vet who said he has Cushing's Syndrome with basically enlarges the internal organs. His age goes against him though and my vet said it is better to leave him be cuz the treatment could be too much for him. As he is still eating, drinking and very inquisitive, the vet said that shows he's not in a great deal of pain thankfully. He seems to have arthritis too so I have anti-inflammatory meds for him which he loves. So as not to put too much strain on his stomach, he doesn't stay on it constantly. Basically I restart it when he starts having difficulty walking. He looks awful though and it's something we feel we need to explain to people anytime they see him so that they don't think we've been neglecting him! It looks like the arthritis is spreading cuz he had trouble holding head up a couple of days ago so I started his meds again. We wont have him for much longer, but he's had a good life.

We got a huge shock :yikes: the other day though. My husband put some meat in the cage for them and put them all by it, but when he picked our female pensioner up she just completely flopped in his hands - she was dead. He asked if he should dig a hole for her straight away but I said to wait till the next day. I called our son down and he had her in his arms for a few minutes when she suddenly started breathing again! It was a huge shock because she was definitely dead. My husband thinks it could be because the other 2 were sleeping on top of her even though they've been doing that for years. She is very tiny though and they were sleeping in a hammock which causes everything on the hammock to go to the centre. We took the hammock out straight away in case that had something to do with it. A week later though, the same thing happened. I was telling my friend about it so decided to check on them. I picked her up and she was completely floppy and not breathing again. I listened to her chest though and heard a good heartbeat so I just rubbed her vigorously to get her breathing again, which did work. Is this something that happens as they age? Nothing like that had happened to her before but it had happened to the male.

Any thoughts or advice? :hmm:

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

Post subject: Re: OAP Ferrets
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:29 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Bad news. Beefy, the old male, went down hill very fast. I called my vets but my guy wasn't in for a few days so I booked him in to be put down on the 1st available slot, with the determination to bring him to any other vet there if I felt he couldn't wait any longer. The following evening at
11:30 he suddenly threw his head back then died in my arms. :cry: It was awful.

I contacted the previous owner who kindly said, "If Beefy could've chosen where to die, he would've chosen in your arms." Isn't that lovely?! I called the vets too so as to cancel the appointment, and they were really sympathetic. They've always loved the ferrets cuz they don't see that type of animal often. A few days later I received a commiseration card from them - it was a very big surprise and it made me cry again.

The tears have now dried up, and now we have the funny memories of him that make us smile. He was a great little thing that brought us much joy.

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!