* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:39 am 
Supporter
Supporter

Hi all

As well as the new BRB and Uromastyx I also collected two new carpet pythons on Tuesday from Jon Arthur of UK Pythons.com, Paul Harris' UK-based business partner with Paul himself being based in Germany. Between them they produce some of the finest carpet python morphs in the world and some of their snakes are £6,000 +, check out their website to see them, it's a great site! :wink:

I however went to visit to collect something a 'little' more reasonably priced, but although I only went to buy one I ended up with two. :roll:

First up is the one I had hoped to buy and the reason I visited, this gorgeous 2003 male jungle carpet - these pictures do his colouration NO justice at all and sadly the picture quality is poor as he will not stay still when out of his viv and the lighting in the viv is not great to show him off either. :(

This is the picture of him from the UK Pythons website and shows the colour off much better than any of mine do...

This is a five-year old snake whose only contact with people has been when being fed or cleaned out, and when Jon put on a glove to handle him I thought this was a very bad sign. However he showed (and has continued to since arriving here) no signs of aggression whatsoever, he just likes to move constantly making photography very tricky indeed!! :roll:

I'm sure given regular handling he will calm right down and I am willing to invest the time to do so as he truly is stunning which you are not really seeing here... :(

Next up is a female 2007 Rockhampton coastal carpet (Rockhampton referring to the locality of origin of the original Queensland parent stock, now long term captive in Germany) who I fell in love with due to her lovely pattern and the marked difference between her and the jungle above.

I sadly may not be able to keep her in the very long term due to the size she may reach eventually, we shall see - a lot can change in a few years, but for the moment at least I am delighted to have her and who knows, they may be able to be bred in the future as well. She is a good size already but very slender as you can see and loves to use the branches and bark in her new home (a large Exo Terra vivarium for the moment in case anyone is wondering!) :D

Hope you like, I plan to update the thread as the coastal develops and also when I finally manage to get some decent pics of the jungle... :wink:

Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:12 am 
Supporter
Supporter

Mirf wrote:
That's not number 141 is it J? It looks like the darker one of the 2 you were looking at.....I want 141!!! :lol:

Gorgeous looking snakes J. No wonder you're such a happy bunny :D

Actually it's neither, I was originally planning to go for a male (141), then before arranging to collect I changed my mind to the bigger jungle (as above top) then when I was there I got tempted by this female as she was so nice!! :roll:

No. 141 was certainly beautiful in the flesh but he was less than half the size of her so it was a no-brainer, especially as he let me have this one for quite a bit less than the price they were asking... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:26 am 
Supporter
Supporter

Mirf wrote:
Honestly J, you have less control than a kid in a sweety shop :lol:

And your point is? :wink: Although I do have to admit I think it would be a VERY bad idea for me to ever go to Hamm or Houten... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:53 am 
They're goreous J *drools* :P

Despite carpets being such big snakes, they don't neccessarily take up an awful lot of space, you've seen our girl (7ft) but she lives in a 4x2x2 viv and hardly uses it, as long as she has her branch to curl up on, and her cave to hide in (which we still can't believe she manages to fit in!!) then shes fine, and by looking at her in her viv people would only guess shes 4 or so ft long herself :)
People think ooo 7 or 8 ft, need loads of space, yet because they're such a long and lanky snake they actually don't...

anyways enough babbling, and basically DON'T GET RID OF ANY, THEY'RE TOO LOVELY!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Do they spend much time at the doors of their vivs? its a good way of safe handling me thinks, our girl loves to come out, you go into the room and shes there at the door, open it and she comes out up you arm and over your head :P
I think with such snakes its far better than picking them up as they can be quite jumpy snakes if you catch them out or they smell food.
Since she discovered she can leave her viv by her own means and explore the climbing frames that are human beings that are also lovely and warm and move around so you can see more :lol: she never wants to go back again! its like trying to hold smoke down, she just slips out again before you get the door closed!!

argh i'm off on one again :roll: i'll shut up now, and just end it although you can already tell......Gorgeous snakes! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:48 am 
Supporter
Supporter

Thanks Sarah, and to be honest I've already made my mind up after 24hrs that I won't ever be selling either of these two on, they are both fabulous! :roll: Considering they've never really been handled they are surprisingly chilled out about me taking them out, not had any problems at all and based on their reaction to handling I don't imagine having any either, although of course I'll be vigilant at all times as I always am with any snake! :wink:

Both fed for the first time tonight, no surprise that they both took their respective meals with relish (not literally)! The jungle had a small rat and a large weaner rat (took out both sizes as wasn't sure he'd manage a small rat, in actual fact he made it look so easy I reckon he'll be on mediums from now on) and the coastal took a weaner rat and an extra large mouse (same situation as above but once again she surprised me and made both look quite easy!) Here are some pics, look away now if you're a little squeamish about rodents being eaten:

Jungle

Coastal

Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:52 am 
Supporter
Supporter

x Sarah x wrote:
Do they spend much time at the doors of their vivs? its a good way of safe handling me thinks, our girl loves to come out, you go into the room and shes there at the door, open it and she comes out up you arm and over your head :P
I think with such snakes its far better than picking them up as they can be quite jumpy snakes if you catch them out or they smell food.
Since she discovered she can leave her viv by her own means and explore the climbing frames that are human beings that are also lovely and warm and move around so you can see more :lol: she never wants to go back again! its like trying to hold smoke down, she just slips out again before you get the door closed!!

argh i'm off on one again :roll: i'll shut up now, and just end it although you can already tell......Gorgeous snakes! :D

Forgot to answer this one Sarah, sorry. No, they are actually both quite secretive but then they are in a new environment for the first time and they are not used to human interaction at all so hopefully over time they will become used to me and my ways. I hope they both turn out like yours as she is fab and really tame, am sure they will given time.

By the way are you any closer to getting me pics of the baby boas?? Not that I'm still keen or anything... :wink: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:59 am 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

hi J

wow truly stunning must say tho.. mine are better :whistle:

by the looks of it, you found a use for that terrerium lol :D

Tom (is not jealous)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:37 am 
Supporter
Supporter

Thanks Nige, I do my best! :wink: And Tom, yes indeed that is your old Exo Terra, temporary housing until I find my Rhacodactylus chahoua (whenever that may be) and have to move her out into something bigger! :roll: And whilst yours are lovely I don't know about better, maybe and maybe not, but I'd still be happy if you gave me them anyway! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:59 am 
Supporter
Supporter

By the way I managed to get a couple of better (still not great) shots of the jungle's head, but they still look washed out as his head is really black but not coming out in the pictures. I really need to be able to take some photos outdoors without flash, but am not prepared to expose him to our 'summer' temperatures at the moment! :roll:

Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:15 am 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

hi
i have decided that u want 1 of my jungle corns so badly you will give me both of your carpets for 1. there so much better than carpets any way :P.
:whistle:

They look nicer everytime you post a new pic up!! I need more morelia...

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:55 am 
Supporter
Supporter

fauna-freak wrote:
hi
i have decided that u want 1 of my jungle corns so badly you will give me both of your carpets for 1. there so much better than carpets any way :P.
:whistle:

They look nicer everytime you post a new pic up!! I need more morelia...

Tom

:lol: You should be a stand-up Tom! :wink: