* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: royal ball python
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:08 am 
now i have 1 royal python called monty shes 3yrs old roughly and excellent feeds great and regularly like clockwork

but i did have another python but had big trouble getting it to feed.

but monty is fine heres a pic

Last edited by spiderman on Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:44 am 
lol dont all reply at once! im struggling to type replys! he he he :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:43 am 
Erm - what reply were you looking for? Oh good? :? :wink:

*grin* It can be difficult finding the right Royal python - we have 4 at the moment, 3 of which have been rehomed with us by the RSPCA or by owners who couldn't take care of them any more. Taking in snakes on that basis means you often can't/don't get a feed record, or have no idea of the snake's temperament. Luckily, two of the rescued Royals are feeding well on good nutritious foods (i.e. rats and mice depending on size), but the third has been fed on chicks for a long time, is underweight, and needs to be 'persuaded' on to rats.

Should be fun :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:07 am 
aww cool at least they are in a good place ! i was sad at giving her away but rather that than it getting ill and underweight but luckily i know the person i gave her too hes a mate so i know its well looked after and i get to see it as well i found it really hard to feed that one

i tried loads of things from fresh killed mice to frozen(defrosted) cutting open mouses head so snake could taste smell brains maybe stimulate eating but no luck heating up mices head with hairdryer no luck and didnt wanna force feed so had to give her away as didnt want her getting unwell

Last edited by spiderman on Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:10 pm 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

non feeders are a bugger.

got one baby corn still refusing.

gonna be forced again later if he don take later.

royals are buggers too.lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:53 pm 
I have found a good tip for a non feeding royal is to place it in a really small viv/snake box full of straw or hay (royals prefer confined space) with just a water bowl, he will curl up and make a tunnel entrance, after a week place a very warm mouse (or whatever you are feeding) down the top of the hole and this shoud temp it to feed. This has always worked for me. Luckily I have always found royals really easy to assist feed too. But thats just one of those things when keeping a royal, it could be a brilliant feeder for ages and then one day decide it's not gonna eat for you.

Hatchling corns can sometimes be a bugger too, I think its just natures way of natural selection... some are just not meant to feed, I have had some that despite how many times I have assist fed, they will not eat for themselves. In that case with a hatchling refusing to feed, you are probably best to return to breeder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:45 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

wikkids_wench wrote:
Erm - what reply were you looking for? Oh good? :? :wink:

*grin* It can be difficult finding the right Royal python - we have 4 at the moment, 3 of which have been rehomed with us by the RSPCA or by owners who couldn't take care of them any more. Taking in snakes on that basis means you often can't/don't get a feed record, or have no idea of the snake's temperament. Luckily, two of the rescued Royals are feeding well on good nutritious foods (i.e. rats and mice depending on size), but the third has been fed on chicks for a long time, is underweight, and needs to be 'persuaded' on to rats.

Should be fun :roll:

Stitch the back of the chick to the wrong of the rat. Use cotton thread and use as little as you can (it will pass through the snake fine). The snake will strike at the chick and eat the rat. Keep doing it until it associates the taste/smell of rats with food :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:50 pm 
God wrote:

Stitch the back of the chick to the wrong of the rat. Use cotton thread and use as little as you can (it will pass through the snake fine). The snake will strike at the chick and eat the rat. Keep doing it until it associates the taste/smell of rats with food :D

Hehehe I can picture you sitting there with your thread patiently making little chick skin outfits for the rat prior to feeding.. :lol:

Alternatively, try defrosting with the chicks, that way some scent should also be passed onto the rat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:25 am 
or cut into the chicks head with a sharp knife then wipe its brains onto the rats head then heat the rat up with a hairdryer! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:31 am 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

spiderman wrote:
or cut into the chicks head with a sharp knife then wipe its brains onto the rats head then heat the rat up with a hairdryer! :shock:

I'm gonna give that a go with my stuborn male, I'm sick of stitching rodents together :D :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:25 am 
cool god always worth a try lol ive heard of a few folks trying this hope it works for you good luck the snake should hopefully smell the chicks blood n brains on the rat and hopefully go for it then after a while hopefully become used to rats lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:44 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

I also called my new Python Monty I don't have him yet paying off bit by bit, any advice for tank size or how often I might feed him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:38 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

we feed our 43 every other week and we only have about 3 fussy feeders lol :P

so were kinda luky in that front.