* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:47 pm 
Really getting into this place

Hi Peeps.

I know this question has been asked before and there are always unique situations so i apologise in advance :oops:

So, i have ordered my viv and all the kit and it's coming early next week.

The viv is an aboreal viv which is 4 foot high, 3 foot wide and 2 foot deep.

Don't know wether to get 1 or 2?............................The breeder i am getting them from is really upfront with the pros and cons on both choices and extremely helpful, not pushy either way, He says thees generally more interaction and 'gusto' for food time and life in general keeping 2 (ideally male and female) but he has seen the aftermath of fights which cannot be predicted.

I was up for getting 2 but now i'm starting to think 1 might be for the better...............................

General concensus seems to be for 1 but i apprieate there are always exceptions to the rule.

I will be confirming with him next week so any advice on 1 or 2?
Any differences in male and females?
Also, are baby beardies like most other animals...................the more handled they are when babies the better they become as adults?

many thanks
Sally

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:14 pm 
Admin
Admin

hi
when i got my OH his beardie the planb was just the 1 not for any reason i guess just didnt want loads of lizards :oops: sex didnt matter so whatever he picked was cool.
within 2 weeks of getting him i ended up with one then my lad wanted one too so we had 3 in a large enough viv all was well and i would of said back then have 2 but pick 2 girls to be honest otherwise you add to huge amount of unwanted beardies when they breed.
BUT that wasnt to be the first one when still very young went nasty attacking others so he was split then he got nasty with people too.
took us a couple months to put that right and his good again 95% of time.
i left the others together a boy and a girl and the boy about a month ago ( still young under 6 months) turned on female and made its life hell again split :| not ideal as i have 3 large sets ups spaced about which was never the plan.

plus another down side my father in law wanted beardies when i brought one for hubby so off he went to get 2.
they seemed fine no fighting then one died without fighting one had scared the hell out of other one and pretty much starved it to death and it was too late to save him :(

he has 3 now the killer on which is alone and fine and a young pair of girls which so far seem ok!
so to be totally honest seeing it from all angels i would say have just the one as apart from all else they make better pets.
if you dont plan to breed pointless getting too as so much stress on female even if you dont hatch eggs, but if you set your heart on 2 please try go for 2 girls as males just have this funny way about them and its not nice when they start the fighting :|

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:43 pm 
One is my answer unless you can set up another viv. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:04 pm 

Thanks guys :D

I was thinking a male (just because i like boys!!!)

Is there any difference between the male and female in temperament/behaviour?

Oh, and is handling from babies have any impact on how handable they are when adult?

many thanks

Sally x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:25 pm 
Check this thread out, you probably will get most of the answers from there.
viewtopic.php?f=280&t=26244

Quote:
Is there a difference between sex of the beardie (lol sounds dumb) but I mean size, how much they eat, problems, etc etc. Is it easier to get a male? female?

No they are just as good as each, it doesn't matter what sex you are getting, but bear in mine NO 2 males will get along when they are older. So if you are thinking of getting a pair, you might have to be careful. Of course it's harder to know the gender when they are young, very hard to tell. But old wives tales but also with experiences. I agreed that males tend to sit higher in the tank and even babies, they do wave arms more than females. But females do wave arms. You can sit in front of the viv and just watch them for ages and see thair activities to choose one of your choice . You can also check with the shop keepers, some of them are pretty much experienced and they might be able to tell you if the baby is male or female, not 100% guarantee but probably like 60 - 70% chance when beardies are only young. People who keep beardies comment males are better, personalities wise and size wise, but I have *cough* quite a few pairs, and I like both genders, they all have different characters and very affectionate. Other thing you have to bear in mind is DO NOT get any beardie that is too small, they might be a lot younger than are said or being bullied.

females - lay eggs?
If you get a baby, you don't really have to worry about that until at least she is over a year old. I hardly know any beardie that lay before 1 year old. After that age, all you need to is leave a laying tray for her and she will do the rest. You have to top up her calcium intake to make sure she is health enough espeically after laid. I'd never recommend people to hatch eggs as there are so many unwanted beardies around. Just these few weeks, I have to rescue 7 unwanted beardies and look for home for them. Of course that's up to you, a lot of owners think that's excellent as they wanted to experienced to hatch eggs.

males - grow bigger? faster? therefore eat more?
Males as said do grow just slightly bigger, but only just a few inches not much. I don't think they are faster, in fact when they are older, they calm down and just want to sit around doing nothing but watching TV or people passing by their tanks. Or just nodding their heads telling you it's their territories. Bearded dragons can eat like a horse and they do not know when to stop unless they are sick. So you have to control their food in take once they are in their adult hood. When they are babies / juvenilles, you can give them as much as they want to eat, but not for adults as you will shortened their lives for feeding too much. Personally, I feed all mine a decent plate of greens in the morning, they probably don't like it at first when they are babies, but that is down to you to train / tempt them and all beardies should eat greens, i.e. 70% of their diet. And as mine are juvenilles and adults. I only give live feed 3 times a week, or just an odd one in between if I see any escapees around in the room. I pick them up and put into the beardies' tanks.

Hope this helps. Any questions, fly away. I might not able to answer them all, but I am willing to share my experiences with you.

Regarding handling, most beardies if they are being handled from day one you got them, there should be no problems when they are adults. They are general great pets. But if you just lock the beardie in the viv 24/7 and only just attend to his / her viv when feeding time, you then will have problems. I have 8 beardies of my own, a few are rescues and they were neglected for some times before I got them. They are approchable now but George and I spent A LOT of time taming them. I still can't say they are 100% trustable but they are not aggressive. If you do not want an aggressive grumpy beardies (they were not born aggressive or grumpy bear this in mind), then you have to put your effort in by spending times with them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:34 pm 

Thanks Felix - fab info :clap:

I think i will opt for a male, breeder said he has a couple which in his experience (25 years of breeding) are male.

Does my viv size sound o.k as it's aboreal?
4 ft high, 3 ft long and 2 ft deep?

viv comes next week so once up will post pics :D

thank again xxx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:06 am 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

the viv should be terrestrial not arboreal they need more space to walk about and I wouldn’t personally have it too high as they tend to be quite clumsy and how they do love to climb they can very easily fall and injure themselves