* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: What a poor thing..Look
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:26 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

I was thinking for a while getting my self a breaded dragon...you see I'am catching up with you guys. :lol:

I saw a ad that someone wanted to sale a citrus x bearded dragon with the whole set up 4ft viv etc.

When I got there to have look at the bearded dragon and the women showed me the beardie and the viv I felt so very sorry for the poor thing in the viv was total empty not a think only a piece of wood for the beardie to seat in only tissue paper but at least it had the lights it was so very sad to see this beardie sitting there in a empty viv with a piece of wood. :(

I asked the women what is the reason for selling the beardie ? she said it is because she is scared of the insects what they eat I was very annoyed why buying a animal like that when you are scared of the insects what they eat :fight: you should think before you getting such a animal and reading books or on the internet about their care :mad: and then the women she said well my daughter is scared of it and so on I think she was making a excuse after another. :roll:

I felt so very sorry for the bearded dragon so that I had to buy him of the women I could not leave it there I think otherwise it would haved died there. :(

I have got now at home so far I can say the beardie is fine but I don't know how old it is or if it a he or she.

But the beardie is watching it eyes and head is moving by every step I do it is quite very funny being watched. :lol:

I'am going to go on monday to a reptile shop to see if I can find some stones and brunches to make it viv more like a home. :D

I'll let you know how the beardie is getting on. :thumb:

Last edited by Sonja110 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:34 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Well done you! That's a lucky beardie, I am sure you will get busy giving him lots of cool things for the viv!
I do agree that it's a shame people buy animals and then make up all sorts of random reasons why they no longer want them once the novelty wears off. :|

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:01 pm 
It is kind of you to give a good home for this beardie. I also have seen so many of these babies Mum rescued. Some of them are not that fortunate and have to be put to sleep. But why buy a lizard if she is scared of insects? :hmm:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:16 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

because people see this cute little beardie in the shop and think aww how sweat I want to have one of them with out thinking first and reading about them. :?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:07 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

It amazes me how people can buy 'alternitive' pets without doing the research first! We did so much googling etc before we bought ourselves a pair. We also bought them from someone who didn't have the time or space for them. They were in very good condition though. They have now had 3 batches of eggs and are out every day. They are fabulous animals.

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:09 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Some more pictures of the beardie.

I went to the crystal palace reptile shop and got some things for the viv and the beardie.

The UV light is hanging quite low should I put it up more ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:01 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Ours was like that and the female kept trying to attack it :roll: We highered it but not because of that, it was so that we couldn't see the light when we looked in the viv. I have been told that it wont hurt the lizards unless they touch it for more than a few seconds. You should do whatever makes you more comfortable. :thumb:

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:21 pm 
I think there is a minimum recommend distance to hang the UVB light. :whistle:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:28 pm 
The most effective distance to hang the UVB light is at least 12 inches, the bearded dragon will be able to absorb better UV as well as not get burnt in case it decided to climb on it.