* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:57 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:04 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

This is a problem I never imagined I'd have to deal with! They did eat micro-crickets for about a week, but after that, 2 out of the 3 of them legged it whenever any got close! They'll happily eat meal worms, but I know they don't hold much nutritianal value. We have been adding a good bit of calcium too, but we're worried cuz they're not gaining the weight that the 1st one is.
Is there anything else we could feed them that's the equivalent of crickets? Or is there something we can do to encourage them to eat them?
Any suggestions?

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:45 pm 
Be careful feeding mealworms to baby beardies, it's not about nutritient value or not, it can cause impaction to babies. They are not recommended for young beardies as they can't digest mealworms properly.

There are other types of livefood in the market you can give, such as locusts and roaches. A lot of beardies prefer locusts / roaches as they are a lot easier to catch.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:56 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thanks felix! We'll give that a try. What's impaction? Is that like constipation? We're getting 3 poos out practically every day, so their bowels seem to be working, but I'll change their food asap.

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:22 pm 
Yes, impaction is a blockage, and they cannot digest, a bit like constipation, but not quite exactly like that. That's why breeders suggest to keep any young baby lizards of any kind in just papers.

Meal worms can cause a few problems and make adult beardies overweight if fed too often. The outer shell of mealworms called chitin which is very hard to digest. Babies or juvenilles usually don't have a chance to survive if impaction is dx because by the time the symptoms show, it's usually too late.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:52 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Right, thanks. I'll be sure to change that pretty sharpish. I'll go first thing in the morning. I appreciate it

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:33 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I've got 2 little heads poking out of eggs from our 2nd batch of eggs!

I started to feed my cowardly babies stick insect babies. They're all happily eating those! :D It's very helpful as I'm getting at least 10 insects hatch every day! :yikes:

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:59 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

congrats on the hatchlings. Yes stop the mealies the chitin (shell) is not easily digested by young reptiles. There are great alternatives such as pheonix worms however they are expensive.

If they are running away from micro crix up the size. They may feel there are too many or just not interested in wasting energy getting the smaller crix.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:03 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Interesting, thanks. :hmm:

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:14 pm 
Interesting answer. :hmm: The first time I heard about beardies might feel too much food or not interested in wasting energy getting the smaller crix. Bearded Dragons are well known eat like a horse and don't know when to stop no matter what you put into the viv.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:02 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Watching them again, with that thought in mind, we could clearly see that they weren't uninterested - they really were frantic! We put other insects (woodlice, spiders etc)the same size as the crickets and they ran straight to them and ate. There's definately something about crickets that's bothering most of them. We have 12 babies now!

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:48 am 
Supporter
Supporter

how on earth are you going to get rid of these 12 babys :lmao: 1 beardie can cost a fortune to feed!

im not sure if this is helpful, but lobster roaches are well known for their low chitin to meat ratio.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:10 am 
mazzer10 wrote:
how on earth are you going to get rid of these 12 babys :lmao: 1 beardie can cost a fortune to feed!

I was thinking the same thing when I read this thread earlier. Pet shops, rescue centres :whistle:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:22 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Actually I'm not worried about placing them as the dragon 'boom' hasn't hit this part of the country yet. I have 4 pet shops informed so far - all of which are interested, we have several people who, by word of mouth, have expressed their interest and we also have the weekly paper.

We didn't know when we bought her that she was already gravid, and as you know, one mating session can, and usually does, lead to 3 clutches. There's one more egg in the process of hatching right now, then we have a further 39 eggs still in the incubator. So far, none of the babies have died. Of course, I'm not under the illusion that we won't get any fatalities, we just haven't had any yet.

As for feeding them, I have hundreds of stick insects - mostly Indians - who lay hundreds of eggs every week (2355 just in August). I give the majority of my babies to the baby lizards, plus we get woodlice and beetles and spiders in the garden. Of course we do still get tubs of crickets, but we find it cheaper to get the large bags from ebay.

There's always a way to over come obstacles, you just have to think of it.

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:45 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Having bred beardies for soe years i have experienced the lack of interest in small prey. Plus if there is too many in a viv the dragons can become food blind (look it up). Have you tried different crix ie black instead of brown or the other way around????

The dragon boom has not hit your region yet huh. Well think yourself very lucky. In somerset it is well and truly here everyone knows someone with them. Its gotten to the point that i may not breed beardies next season and concentrate on my blue spiny lizards.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:32 pm 
tonyh1981 wrote:
The dragon boom has not hit your region yet huh. Well think yourself very lucky. In somerset it is well and truly here everyone knows someone with them. Its gotten to the point that i may not breed beardies next season and concentrate on my blue spiny lizards.

I think it's only where Roz is that beardies haven't hit the region. It's nightmare everywere. I work for the rescue centre in the midlands area which covers Leciestershire to Yorkshire. Almost every single week I have phone calls about unwanted beardies and leopard geckos. I am off work at the moment but I still have phone calls asking if I could still take them on. There will be another 26 coming to me, gawd knows what I am going to do with them. I am pretty sick of them tbh like all neighbours aunties and uncles all got them. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:11 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I'm in a different country! Not far from you though, southern Ireland. I'm an english girl living in an Irish world :) We're not too far behind you though on the whole beardie situation. More and more people are getting interested in them, so it wont be long before we'll be in the same predicament.

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:25 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

With those rescues why not try and reintergrate them into petstores etc at a small fee that way there will be plenty to sustain the market with out the need for breeders to continually push new babies onto them saturating the industry.