* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Baby beardie food
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:12 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

When my bearded dragon started laying eggs we were really excited, and dicided to have a go at breeding crickets and locusts so it wouldn't cost so much to feed all the babies. We had been told that it's very difficult to get them breeding. We started trying this from the time the first batch of eggs were laid. She went on to lay another 2 batches of eggs with no sign of any locust or cricket babies. We even bought cricket eggs - with no success at all. :( All the beardie eggs hatched, and we were still having to buy crickets and locusts. We took all the biggest ones and put them in tubs together hoping they will mate. It worked! There was quite a lot of mating, but no results. The first and second beardie batch have grown and are now ready to sell on.

We were watching tv when we noticed these babies all staring at the same spot outside their viv. My husband checked it out and saw............ A BABY LOCUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :kp: :clap: :crazy: We instantly went through the locust tub and found over a dozen of them! Some had managed to escape as the tub has a lot of ventilation on the lid. I put some netting over the top a then put the lid on, so we shouldn't have that problem again. :hmm:

It's very sad that we got so excited about the discovery, :oops: we know, but it hopefully will become a nice little earner once all our babies have gone. :) It looks like we have a pregnant cricket too, so that will be great! :clap:

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

Post subject: Re: Baby beardie food
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:52 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

you will need more than 1 pregnant cricket :lol:

i think several members breed these so im sure someone can give you tips !

i still think lobster roaches are the best ! :laugh:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:59 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Yeah, I got a load of those a couple of weeks ago from Royal Python. Letting them be for a couple of months before offering any to the lizards though. The vaseline trick works great for keeping them roaming, do you use that too?

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:05 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

i use bryl cream (whatever it is) seems to last longer :) (though i did use a really really thick layer!)

tip for lobsters, give them orange peel/segment every now and then :wink: for some reason it encourages them to breed like crazy !

remember in a few generations you might want to add some new blood to the colony. mine started producing really small adults after 2 generations!

i got my 1st ones off teresa also :lmao:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:03 am 
Admin
Admin

i dont like lobsters they are too fast for food dubia way better cos they are silly and walk in front of the lizards lol
locusts i know lots of people had them breeding but i do find roaches way easier as are waxworms if you have the time to make them and leave them?
crickets are easy i think no problem with them but only when i dont want them to breed always find they do best in real humid mosit conditions like in my bleeding water dragon tank so they are banned too now :fight:
roaches are way forward thats for sure then what i do is once a month i buy locusts,waxies and mealies as a change

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:21 am 
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

I breed Desert Locusts (Schistocerca gregaria), not for food but because I like them :crazy:

Compared with cockroaches they are a pain to breed in decent numbers, also expensive to heat if you get them warm enough to really get a colony going.
I have the proper laboratory rearing and breeding cages, and still would not be able to make a commercially viable go of breeding them.

One last point on Locusts, some people can develop a nasty allergy to the enzymes present in their droppings.
Always wear gloves when cleaning out breeding cages, and avoid breathing in dust from the cages.

Roaches are most certainly the way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:02 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

We have desert locusts too. When we first got them we were so surprised how beautiful they are that we really didn't want to feed the to the dragons! :lol:
I think we'll keep going with all 3 species if they breed - they do say that variety is the spice of life.

Thanks for the orange tip mazzer, that's fantastic! How long does it take to get 2 generations breeding? I'll probably to find someone on here to exchange some stock with to help keep them 'fresh'. I'll just have to make sure I find someone who didn't get theirs from Teresa as they'd probably be from the same gene pool! :laugh:

I was told to try the dragons with some green pepper. The reaction was instant! They absolutely love it! 2 of the babies actually had a 'lady & the tramp' moment! :lmao:

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:21 pm 
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

What colour are your deserts?

What you want for breeding is the yellow "swarm phase".
Its a contact facultative trigger to make then swarm, so keep the small nymphs in a small container so they touch each other all the time.
You can also trigger the change by rubbing the nymph with a paintbrush every few hours (I really need to get out more :crazy: ).

Yellow phase will breed wildly, and lay masses of eggs, their sole aim is to create massive swarms!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:46 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I saw a documentary on them only last week - that's the only reason I know what they are! :lol: It's cool that they can change their very skull structure, not just their colour. 8)

Yes, we do have the yellow ones, but when they shed they go very pink for a few days. The males then go back to yellow but the females go a thorny colour.

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!