* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Heartbreak
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:29 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I had a lady come by on Monday to buy some stick insects, and when she saw my beardies she excitedly told me all about the dragon she's had for about 3 months. When I found out she'd bought it from a pet shop I had an inpending sense of doom. I quickly fired a fare few questions at her to make sure she had been given the correct instructions, and I quickly discovered that she hadn't been informed about CALCIUM!! :yikes: Of all things!
She'd had her for 3 months, so I gave her some calcium to tide her over till she could get some. I also told her to be prepared as her dragon was very likely to die soon. She thanked me for the care sheet, calcium and advice I gave her (plus the stick insects)and went back home. A couple of hours later I got a message telling me that she'd got home to find her dragon dead! It turned out that the lizard was 18 months old and severley stunted. She described her as being smaller than my adults, but bigger than our babies - (that was a no-brainer as the babies were only 2 days old!)so I expected her to be about 8 months or so! It appears that this poor animal had never received calcium!
It absolutely tears me up that pet shops can sell them without knowing the needs of these animals! The poor creature must have had a horribly painful life. The lady was very upset about it, of course, but because I had already told her, at least she knew why it happened. I have listed this fabulous site on my beardie care sheets and I know she's been here already checking on the info i've told her. She has reserved 2 of my babies for when they're ready and she's doing extra research whilst she's waiting. She's also planning to visit her local pet shop to inform them that their ignorance has cost at least one miserable life.

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

Post subject: Re: Heartbreak
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:30 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

That really is awful :(
It is a shame that shops don't take the time to give adequate information. Too many are just in it for a quick profit and have such low regard for the creatures they stock. I'll bet calcium was on sale at the store too yet never used for the livestock. :|

When we got ours we were subject to questions about our set up and knowledge before purchase.

However I would say that on a personal level I would not bring any animal into my home unless I had researched it's care fully or trusted the person giving me the information. There are plenty of care sheets and sites to inform prospective owners of the care required.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:28 am 

MzHunny wrote:
However I would say that on a personal level I would not bring any animal into my home unless I had researched it's care fully or trusted the person giving me the information. There are plenty of care sheets and sites to inform prospective owners of the care required.

I completely agree. It's your responsibility to do the research before you take on any animal, not the shop selling the animal.

I researched for a year, bought several books and asked dozens of questions before I felt I was ready for my first rep. Expecting a shop to give you all the answers really is asking for trouble.....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:51 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Absolutely - we had a very varied range of animals and we have never taken the responsibility lightly. We go through so many different sites to check everything out before we go ahead with it. As you both say, it's up to the buyer primarily to ensure they have the right info, but what amazed me in this story was that it appears the pet shop owner didn't know she was meant to have calcium either. If the lizard was 18 months old, but had only been with this animal mad owner for 3 months. With her size it seems clear that the poor thing hadn't been given calcium for a very long time - long before she was bought. :snail:
I am very confident to allow this unfortunate lady to buy a couple of my babies as I know she is now checking everything out herself. She's even making sure that all the info I have given her on my caresheet is accurate, and I know she'll contact me with any other queries or worries once she gets the babies at the end of next month.

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:54 pm 

I take it she has room to set up two seperate vivs if needs be?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:12 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Have no fear - it's all in hand. :D I love my animals and I do not allow them to be sold to just anyone. We tell people exactly what they need, and if they don't have it, they don't get the baby/ies. We're pricing up materials to make some vivs and completely fitting them out with everything needed. That way we know they have a safe environment.

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:40 pm 

Sorry, that sounded like I was nagging then didn't it? :oops:

So you're going to be making your own vivs then? Brilliant idea and, if you can a decent price on the boards, a hell of a lot cheaper. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:33 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

No hun - it shows that you love these animals too. :D

As for the vivs, yeah, it's gonna be great. We can get glass free as a local window company always leave old windows and doors outside of their workshop in order for people to take what they want before it gets recycled. :clap:

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:14 am 

Dead handy on the glass. :D

Have you got all the bits you need to cut and polish the glass down? I was lucky when I started making mine, as I do stained glass so had all the bits. If only I could afford a decent precision saw for the conti board I would be sorted. Mind you I've no room left for more vivs anyway!! :laugh:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:21 am 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

At the mo we have 3 vivs and an aquarium stacked in 2 rows. 2 vivs on the floor, the aquarium on top of one and the 3rd viv on top of the other - and we're not done yet! The living room has a load of fitted cabinets, floor to ceiling. Shane's gonna remove a few doors of it and put 2 vivs in it. As the babies are hatching so quickly, he's gotta get on with it!

We don't have any glass cutting tools, no. He's devised a way of doing it that's quick and, so far, 100% successful. He does have a tool for grinding down the edges though, so it's not at all sharp once done. He's a real handy guy. :D

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!