* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:04 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

We got ourselves a new rescue at 11pm last night. The previous owner had said he needed to rehome him due to the fact his wife hated lizards. Her loss. He said he wanted us to collect it within a weeks, and he'd call us when it was ready. That was 2 weeks ago. We called him several times but got no answer.
Last night, my husband just got up and went there to get it anyway. When he arrived the wife told us the husband had been taken into rehab, and she had no contact details for us, so she was very relieved when Shane turned up. She asked him how soon he'd be able to take it, and when he said "now", she almost burst into tears with relief.
When he got back, it really looked like his feet were a little deformed, but we had to take into account the fact that we had a wooden floor so he may not be used to walking on that. Saying that though, they had a wooden floor too. I guess he didn't get out much. He looks quite a mess at the mo cuz he's almost ready to shed. We gave him some calcium coated live food and let him settle down for the night.
This morning my husband put him in one of our prepared tanks, and took a good look at the one he came in. It was supplied with only a 5uvb bulb rather than a 10! That makes us believe that he does have a bone deformity, but hopefully it's only the begining.

We believe he maybe a citrus/sandfire breed. We have a sandfire female already who has successfully bred with our other duller male. If we get lovely orangey babies from their union, I can hardly wait to see the colouring of the babies between this new male and herself.

Stop the jabber - here's a couple of pics:-

Here's Spike (we didn't name him I swear!)

Here's our female, Sandy (we are responsible for that one. Sorry)

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:09 pm 
Admin
Admin

he looks fine to me but im no expert nice fat lil boy anyways :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:15 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Only the top pic is him. The other 2 are of my female.

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:11 pm 

I wouldn't even consider breeding him personally. The deformity might be caused by mbd, but could also be a birth defect. Too big a risk to take really.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:43 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I never thought of that, Mirf. :hmm: I'll look into it. Thanks very much! :thumb:

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:06 pm 

No probs hun, :D You always need to be careful with rescues, as you have no idea what is poor care and what is a genetic cock up. Also poor care can lead to long term health issues which could prove problematic when breeding.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:02 pm 
Admin
Admin

oh there we go teach me to read properly :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:34 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Don't knock it Shaz, us red heads can't be perfect and beautiful all the time! :lol:

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:06 am 

Roz wrote:
Don't knock it Shaz, us red heads can't be perfect and beautiful all the time! :lol:

You forgot to mention modest.... :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:14 am 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

he seems a nice boy, if he had such a low uvb it is probable that it's mbd :( unless you know his breeding he'd be classed as citrus, unless you have the paperwork with him saying that he's bred by sandfire dragons.

will be interesting to see how he goes on :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:59 am 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Unfortunately we have no way of finding out his definate breed as there was no paperwork. :( One way or the other he's got lovely colouring, or rather he will be once he's finished shedding. As you can see by the bottom 2 pics our female has some gorgeous colouring too, so if we do breed them together the babies will be stunning! He is very keen to mate with our female, but so far she has shown no interest in him what-so-ever.
We have seen no further evidence to make us think he has a health problem and his feet appear to be fine. Hopefully he was just having trouble adjusting to our wooden floor. Will let you know how it goes.

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:48 pm 

Well by the time he's out of quarantine you will have a better idea and will be able to identify any issues.

Either way, he's still a very sexy boy. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:39 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

He's really not looking so good. :( He's really having trouble with his legs. He has the correct heat and food as well as the vital calcium. Is there anything else I can do to help him? He's a fully matured adult with a very crazy personality - that's probably why he fits in so well here! :lol:

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:53 pm 

What kind of leg trouble hun?

If he had severe mbd previously then it could well have affected the major bones in his legs leaving him with a wobbly gait, difficulty standing properly and or stiffness/pain.

A good way to ensure he is getting adequate calcium levels is to give him calium sandoz. It's available at boots (designed for kids) A big bottle will last you forever and costs well under a tenner. 1ml per kilo of body weight is required daily and beardies will usually take if from the syringe with little fuss. As it's designed for children it's quite sweet and beardies have something of a soft spot for sweet stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:00 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

His back legs appear to be affected the most. He doesn't seem to be able to hold his legs in a comfortable postion whilst resting. They are splayed out differently compared to our other dragons. I assume the problem is in his hips. The only way I can describe the way he walks is like that of a solider crawling on the floor duing combat.
He seems quite thin too even though he's eating alright. When he eats, he tends to miss a lot, but when he gets food, he shakes it in a kind of circular motion whilst chewing. When he bobs at our female he does that in a similar way too, but it's more diagonal rather than up and down or circular.

As long as I'm alive,
    I'm happy!!!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:46 pm 

That sounds pretty major to be honest. Obviously not a chance that he can ever be more than a pampered pet. It might be worth considering getting x-rays done, just so you can get an idea of what you're dealing with.