* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Real Moral Dilema.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:10 am 
Really getting into this place

Please read all of this before you comment and please don't flame me, I'm doing all I can.

Many of you know the history of my 5 year old male beardie, but if you don't- here's a recap in brief.

My ex partner bought 2 males beardies who had been living together for most of their lives until about 6 months before we bought them. Naturally, one was a confident dominant headbobbing male, and the other was small, quiet, and sensitive. As was my ex's way, he soon got bored so I was left to look after them as I didnt want them to starve to death and he wouldn't let me sell them. I confess I did a very bad job as most of my info came from RFUK and the local pet shop so I had some major errors such as my UV lights were too high, I hand fed the little beardie squash, kale and redpepper as that was all he would eat. I dusted them daily too. I took him to a local vet who told us that veggies were fine for him and she diagnosed him as blind because he lunged and missed food, didn't react to her hand waving and then ran into a wall when she put him on the floor.

The next chapter of this little beardie's story is continued after I split with my ex, met David and my ex rang me and said he couldn't cope. David, being the angel he is, took on my beardie and rectified all my faults. He put him in a smaller viv with a better UV bulb to get more UV into him, he wormed him and watched him like a hawk! I nearly cried when David showed me a video of the beardie eating a cockroach and chasing it around! Certainly not a blind beardie as he was quite nimble!!

However, the damage had been done. We think he has some MBD in his back legs as he tends to bend them in some very odd positions, he doesn't use them very often and they are very weak. He has put some weight on and noms down roaches, locusts, greenery and wax worms but he still lunges and misses hopelessly!

The reason why I am posting this, is because very recently I have noticed his head tremor when he lifts it. David said he's had it a while but its been getting worse. Then today, when I was feeding him, when he tremored, his left front leg went limp and his front end sunk to the floor. I am very worried that the tremor is affecting his balance and ability to stand.

Now, David contacted a vet before the beardie came and said that he didnt seem right, wasn't eating well, ran into wall and seemed to have trouble seeing. The vet said that it sounded like a mental problem, a wrong firing synapse or something and that as long as he was eating and put on a bit of weight with the correct conditions it would cause more stress to find out what exactly was wrong, and would probably kill little beardie.

So now I'm torn, do I take him to the vet and subject him to the stress of the diagnosis and potentially kill him through stress, bloods, injections or just being put down or do I just keep helping him and making sure he's comfortable? The reason for the dilemma is he is eating fine, he is a little piggy for wax worms and he does chase after locusts quite happily. When I give him his waxies in the morning his little eyes and spines flush orange so he seems quite happy. He's put on something crazy like 500g but he's still too light for a beardie his age. I don't want to stress him out when he seems to be doing very well and I certainly don't want to put him down unless I really really really REALLY have to.

Because I think there is something very wrong with him and I really don't know how simple it is to diagnose it, I'm stalling over taking him to the vet. If there was worms in his poo or he was wheezing or he had mouth rot- I would take him in a heart beat. But this...it could be liver, neurological, genetic...anything.

What would you do?
Thanks for reading xx

Post subject: Re: Real Moral Dilema.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

If all the vet will say is PTS then I would put it off until the beardie is ready, sounds like he still has a fight in him.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:06 pm 

mazzer10 wrote:
If all the vet will say is PTS then I would put it off until the beardie is ready, sounds like he still has a fight in him.

He does, he nommed 8 wax worms this morning and he's now asleep under his log ready for his afternoon cuddle :) my poor beardie, it will be a waste of a little fighter if he was just instantly PTS :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:17 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Personally I would never PTS an animal that is showing a will to live.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:50 pm 

mazzer10 wrote:
Personally I would never PTS an animal that is showing a will to live.

exactly.

A vet friend came and had a look at him and reckons its a probelm with his cerebellum- where he has not had enough UV as a hatchling, its made his brain develop badly in his skull which means he's showing the same symptoms as some kittens get, when they can't quite realise where they are and tend to lurch about. He also reckons he has soft bones anyway so an xray would have been good just to confirm that. He thinks vitamin injections wouldn't do anything as he's on the right diet now so he should be ok which is positive. So, in conclusion, he thinks a small blood test and an xray would be good but not essential as he thinks there is nothing that could be done anyway.

When I get a job, I will take him as I will be able to get the money to pay for the tests.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:59 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

oh man, what a situation :(

Personally I'd be scared and would visit the vet but I can entirely see your point. If he is eating and doing his thing then it would seem he is fine but as only Mirf and Shazzle know my last beardie was exactly that... fine and then he died... no symptoms, illness or anything. All his care was spot on and he was eating, pooping and putting on weight just as he should have been.

Your little guy has been through an awful lot and is certainly getting the right care now. It may well be a cerebral problem or a deficiency from the poor care from your ex.

Our critters tear at the heart strings all the time don't they?
Whatever you decide to do I wish the little guy well xx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:53 am 

MzHunny wrote:
oh man, what a situation :(

Personally I'd be scared and would visit the vet but I can entirely see your point. If he is eating and doing his thing then it would seem he is fine but as only Mirf and Shazzle know my last beardie was exactly that... fine and then he died... no symptoms, illness or anything. All his care was spot on and he was eating, pooping and putting on weight just as he should have been.

Your little guy has been through an awful lot and is certainly getting the right care now. It may well be a cerebral problem or a deficiency from the poor care from your ex.

Our critters tear at the heart strings all the time don't they?
Whatever you decide to do I wish the little guy well xx

Thats really sad about your beardie :( They are quite sensitive little things really. Mine looked most miffed this morning when I gave him his dusted waxworms but so far he's nommed down 4 despite missing, shaking and not standing well. I think I'll ring up when David gets back (on Wednesday) and see what the vet has to say. Thanks for the support :) xx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:34 pm 

If the tremors and balance are getting worse then you really have little choice but to get him to a vet for checks. It could well be something simple that cannot be treated but is causing him no pain....it might not be though and you have to get it checked for that very reason. I know you would never forgive yourself if he was in pain. You need to remember that these guys can hide their symptoms extremely well. The fact he is showing any symptoms at all would be ringing alarm bells with me to be honest.

His initial problems were down to lack of food, heat and u.v. and were almost completely corrected with proper care. His back legs were not good but I am still of the opinion that it was partly down to muscle wastage and complete lack of movement. However, we can only guess what the problem is. For all we know there may be some spine damage and his increased weight is causing additional pressure on a nerve, thereby causing the problems you are seeing now or neurological issue...hell it could even be a stroke that has caused the current symptoms.

I agree that when David first got him the stress of a vets would more than likely have finished him off, the little man was a mess. He is a different lizard now. Last time I saw him his weight was pretty darn good (he's only a little beardie after all) and he was generally 100% better than when I first met him.

I'm really sorry if I have upset you by writing this, but I really do think he needs to get to a vet as these symptoms seem to be increasing in their severity. :( *hugs*