* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:29 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:35 pm 
Really getting into this place

I just wondered what the latest thinking on keeping these was.
Last I heard was cooler temperature of 16-20 celcius was better for them, but my last lot were very sluggish when kept like this. The didn't breed but hey were all male so I'm not surprised!
Got some new ones arriving tomorrow, hopefully good quality too so really want to do the best for them.
Any ideas? Links? Articles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:49 pm 
hmmm, i bought 3 of these (2 females and male) last October, really just taking a chance, they cost a bit and tbh i didn't hold much hope for them...

However even through minimal care, no heat source except room temp (which has dropped pretty low lately in the cold whether) they still seem active as ever!
Not sure about their eating habits, they get everything about nce a month but i dont observe if they eat any of whats given...

as for breeding, not a clue, they're pretty active, i've not seen any tell tale signs, but who knows, i might get a nice surprise one day...or a nasty one! :P

I've had no such luck with my rainbows, who keep dying on me :( i'm just glad these are doing well as they cost as much and are just as hard to get hold of :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:50 pm 
lol i just thought

I haven't checked on them for 2 weeks, you watch me jinx myself now :roll:

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:11 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

Where might I find some of these?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 pm 
Virginia Cheeseman. I've been umming and arring over them but at £15 each + £8 p+p they're just too expensive when there's always a possibility they might not last long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:33 am 
Mine were £12 each from the AES show last year, i spent £60 on 3 of them and 3 rainbows!

Rainbows died within 3 months, always have to be prepared with milli's, they get upset easily by change of surroundings and temperature etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:33 pm 

It must of been a few recent shipments from Madagascar. South Coast Inverts has three Madagascan Millipede species, as well as other inverts native there, even bugsdirectuk has Fire Millipedes back in stock.. I normally wouldnt recommend them, but they work out a little cheaper from them when including postage, and are likely from the same shipment, so would be just as healthy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:21 pm 

Picked up seven on Friday, dropped off a few of my juveniles also.
This group seem much more active than the ones I had previously, and at least two are sub-adults, I had much more success with these when I had two juvenile females back in 2002.

So, I am thinking the the last lot I had were probably not in very good health when they arrived, two died within a week of arriving. They were all adults, four males, one female shipped from Czech Republic.

I got these from Virginia Cheeseman, I gather that they were not cheap for her to buy either. I'm not sure how easy it is to import inverts from Madagascar any more, last I heard it had been stopped. A few Madagascan species have become available, so perhaps this has changed.

Well worth the money IMO, I'd rather pay more and be able to see what I am buying before it arrives (I went to pick them up).
It would be briliant to get these breeding in the UK, I just can't get hold of anyone who can give me any species specific care advice. Apparantly they require a stimulus to breed but I am yet to find out what that is.

They are currently in the bug room without a heat source, so around 20-22, maybe a bit warm but nowhere else for them to go yet (have to clear the shelf!), very rich wood/leaf based susbtrate, basically found a rotten tree and scraped out the middle (this substrate worked well for P.Ligulatus)
All eating and active so fingers crossed they'll do ok.

Didn't have much success with rainbows either, they were doing fine and I saw a couple of hatchlings emerge, then they suddenly all died for an unknown reason. Never been known as a hardy species.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:27 am 

I know this is a very old post, but I was wondering if anyone has had any success with these since?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:28 am 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

I'm 50:50 but I think I managed to get some babies from my madagascan fires.
The reason why I'm not sure is they were in with rainbows but they died :(

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 542.22 KiB | Viewed 2657 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:13 pm 

Where did you get your fires from?