* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:28 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

I bought 3 different species of Millipedes, all juveniles, last week and put them in with a culture of domino cockroaches in an exo terra tank with multi purpose compost for substrate and I havnt seen them since I put them in :(
As far as I understand they do burrow but I thought they may appear on the surface at some point, they have some rotting wood but I need to put more leaves down for them. And it would be a waste if I never saw them! Everywhere I have read it says to use peat, not compost, is this going to be a problem? Its says its organic and does seem to be very much like normal earth, just quite chunky.
I have some coco husk substrate that I use for my hermit crabs that I could swap them into, but I'm worried this may be quite stressful for them, having to find and move them in the large amount of compost there is in there.
I also put some stick insects with blackberry in the cage, will this effect the millipedes?
And does anyone have any sugestions to get rid of all the flies they came with? theyre starting to fly around my room >.<
Sorry these are fantasticly noob questions! I really like the forum btw!
Thanks alot

Species I keep: Beetles: Coelorrhina hornimanni, Eudicella morgani, Eudicella ethiopica. Tiger hissers, Domino roaches, Headlight cockroaces, Porcelain cockroaches, 5 different millipede spieces, Giant Florida Katydids, various stick insects and hermit crabs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:59 am 
Supporter
Supporter

The millies need substrate to hide or they get stressed. They have just been moved to a new environment so they are likely resting up under the substrate. It can be dangerous to disturb millipedes as they may be moulting and they can be damaged easily.

You might not see them for a while. Some of my millipedes didn't start coming out and about for ages!

You can move them into shallow substrate but they wont be very happy.

I might suggest you put food for them on the surface they might come out more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:56 pm 
Really getting into this place

I've had my babies for a couple of months now and never seen them, unless I disturbed them which I don't think is a good idea. It is a bit dissapointing but think of it as delayed gratification, eventually they will have to come out! I only worry that they are still alive and I'm doing the right thing.

Amphibians: Axolotls - Full Throttle and James Bond
Fish: Coldwater fish and water woodlice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:01 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Have you tried placing a flat piece of bark over a patch of the substrate? You can lift this up and they will often be underneath it. They wouldn't moult so close to the surface, so it wouldn't be disturbing them really to check on them a few times a week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:48 pm 

I've got 2 big bits of bark but they are usually lower than them, nice idea though, thank you!

Amphibians: Axolotls - Full Throttle and James Bond
Fish: Coldwater fish and water woodlice