* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: A gigas growth rate?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:16 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

I am looking to get a few of these, but CB seems hard to find and always very small, so I am thinking of getting a WC pair/group and breeding them, but just what is there growth rate? I have read varying things online so wondering if any has first hand experiance?

Post subject: Re: A gigas growth rate?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:27 pm 
Really getting into this place

Expect growth rate to be very SLOOOOOOW! From egg to adult can take upwards of 5 years. You can speed it up by keeping them in "perfect" conditions. Wish I could be more exact, but I have yet to discover those perfect conditions myself. Providing high protein foods like fish flakes and moistened, dry dog food will help.

While CBs might be small to begin with, they do tend to be "better adapted" to captive keeping. They should be quite easy to care for and to handle. Probably the best choice when available. I have a pair of WC that have been together for almost 3 years. I've seen plenty of mating but no eggs yet. You might want to hedge your bet and get both groups. Funding permitting, of course!

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:35 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

That is about what I thought:(, do you find dead leaves/wood needed in there diet? Or can you give them other things? I am having a hard time finding any good species of tree here.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:58 am 

Yes, you will need the dead leaves and rotting wood! I mix my substrate from ingrediants that are readily available in my area. I add equal amounts of comercial compost, shredded cypress wood, shredded aspen wood, and dried ash leaves. Both of the shredded woods are sold at pet stores as animal bedding. Like you, I am limited in leaves. No oak here. So I have to make do with the ash.

Also, feel free to supplement the diet. I give them dry dog food, fish flakes, most any fruit and veggies. Mine really like peas and water melon rinds.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:45 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

I thought none hardwood was bad for insects? I cant seem to find any rotten hardwood here at all, it is all pine so far, I will have a look for maple leaves to use.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:17 pm 

No, you want to use rotted hardwood. Steer clear of pine and ceeder! Both are great smelling, but release aromatic compounds that are toxic to little critters.

Do you have access to a wood working supplier? If so, check if they have any scraps of untreated hard wood. Then just have them grind/shred/sand the wood down to very small particles. Though not rotted, it will still work. And it will rot quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:51 pm 

Hypoponera wrote:
Expect growth rate to be very SLOOOOOOW! From egg to adult can take upwards of 5 years. You can speed it up by keeping them in "perfect" conditions. Wish I could be more exact, but I have yet to discover those perfect conditions myself. Providing high protein foods like fish flakes and moistened, dry dog food will help.

While CBs might be small to begin with, they do tend to be "better adapted" to captive keeping. They should be quite easy to care for and to handle. Probably the best choice when available. I have a pair of WC that have been together for almost 3 years. I've seen plenty of mating but no eggs yet. You might want to hedge your bet and get both groups. Funding permitting, of course!

Excuse my ignorance what is CB and a WC?
I've got 6x 3 inch long juvenile giant african millipedes and I only give them fruit, which I'm not sure they are eating anyway, I could sprinkle some fish flakes in the tank or would they rot and cause problems if they are not eaten?

Amphibians: Axolotls - Full Throttle and James Bond
Fish: Coldwater fish and water woodlice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:47 pm 

CB = captive bred
WC = wild caught

Your AGB, (African Giant Black), eats rotting leaves and rotting wood as it's main source of food. The leaves and wood should be from hardwood trees. Oak is generally the recommended tree type, but I have had good results with both Ash and Maple.

Fruit, veggies, dry dog food, and other supplemental foods are just that... supplemental. I provide these foods all the time. But the millipedes don't always eat them. Sometimes they won't touch anything for a week or two. Then the next week they inhale everything I put in.

Try to keeping the fish flakes and dry dog food on small, plastic lids so they don't rot too fast.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:39 pm 

brilliant, thank you!

Amphibians: Axolotls - Full Throttle and James Bond
Fish: Coldwater fish and water woodlice