* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:19 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

I just got two giant train millipedes and would like to know if it's possible to tell their ages from the size or number of segments, also at what age is it possible to sex them. pretty sure I've got 2 females though one is only about 6 inches so may be too young to tell.

I am hoping to breed them so if any body has a male they can spare or knows of someone with one for sale I'd love to in touch.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:14 pm 
Milli's are pretty easy to sex, take a look at the sexing page here http://www.millipede-mayhem.piczo.com

The link isn't working my end, so if it isn't for you then, you want to be looking at the underside of your millipedes, about 7 segments from the head the males will have what appears to be 2 pairs of legs missing, or what look like 2 very tiny legs where the normal legs should be. Females will just have normal sets of legs from head to tail.
If you type in sexing millipedes on google, your bound to get some good results with pictures.

As for age, its near impossible to know their age from their size as temperature and food fluctuations can speed up or slow down growing. At 6inches i'd be inclined to say they are at least a year or two old.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:29 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

x Sarah x wrote:
Milli's are pretty easy to sex, take a look at the sexing page here http://www.millipede-mayhem.piczo.com

The link isn't working my end, so if it isn't for you then, you want to be looking at the underside of your millipedes, about 7 segments from the head the males will have what appears to be 2 pairs of legs missing, or what look like 2 very tiny legs where the normal legs should be. Females will just have normal sets of legs from head to tail.
If you type in sexing millipedes on google, your bound to get some good results with pictures.

As for age, its near impossible to know their age from their size as temperature and food fluctuations can speed up or slow down growing. At 6inches i'd be inclined to say they are at least a year or two old.

Thanks. I guess mine are both female then. Do you have any idea where I might be able to get a male from? I got them from Virginia Cheeseman but she only has females at the mo.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:06 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

quick update, found a male for sale in an excellent place called ameyzoo in bovingdon. He started mating with my females the minute I put him in there so may be the patter of thousands of tiny feet eventually :-)