* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:45 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Mycosis(?)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:10 pm 
Just joined
Just joined

I have noticed that some of my millipedes have problems with their exo sceletons. From a book that I have I have come to the conclusion that they suffer from mycosis. Is there any chance that they can recover from this? They are far from adult, can they molt it off? Or will it just get worse? I feel really bad right now, I really want my millipedes to recover from this but I don't know what to do. Is there anyone else that have had this problem? What happened?

Attachments:
IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG [ 550.56 KiB | Viewed 1434 times ]

Post subject: Re: Mycosis(?)
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:32 pm 
Really getting into this place

Is it possibly a defect caused by lack of calcium? That would cause damage like that as well. If it is damage caused by lack of calcium or other molting defect, it can be "fixed" at the next molt. Assuming you provide plenty of calcium.

If it is damage caused by fungal infection, then chances are not good for a recovery. You could try to reduce the moisture in the cage a bit. But that may not help eliminate the fungus quick enough to save the affected millis. Also, there is a fine line between enough and not enough moisture.

Have you thought to seperate your healthy millis from those with this issue? Not sure how "infectious" the fungus is.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:52 pm 
Just joined
Just joined

I have actually always been careful not to add to much water to the substrare, due to my fear of fungus. But apparently I have failed in my efforts to keep my millipedes healthy. It is not lack of calcium, it is not cavities in the skin, but skin disapperaing.

I don't know how many animals are affected, it's a tank with babies that hatched there and I don't know how many they are. Should I go through the whole tank in order to find the ones that are sick I'm afraid I would stress all animals and hurt those that are moulting. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm 
Just joined
Just joined

Regarding the ones that are sick, will it only get worse until they die, or can they live with this?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:28 pm 

The damage itself is not life threatening... yet. It does not look too extensive in your photo. But it will result in death should the damage continue to grow. In desperation, you could try this:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthr ... ungus-cure

I do not know how infectious the fungus might be. I have only seen it once on a single milli in a tank with 9 others. The infected milli died, but none of the other millis have been infected. Probably not worth the risk to remove all the millis from the tank.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:20 pm 
Just joined
Just joined

I have noticed that there are some millipedes that are more affected by fungus than the one on the picture. I'm starting to think that in order to save those that are not sick I maybe should put the sick ones to death, since there doesn't seem to be any good chanses of recovery. But what would be the best way to do that? I have read that one way would be to put them in the freezer, but is that not a slow and painful way to die?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:09 pm 

I believe current thinking is that the freezer is the most humane way to kill a millipede. Being cold blooded, the milli just dozes off and never wakes up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:28 pm 
Part of the furniture
Part of the furniture

I personally wouldn't freeze anything. Its a terrible way to die. Why not hit it on its head with a heavy object????