* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:46 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:02 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

Hi, I am thinking of getting some larger millipedes and I have some madagascan hissing cockroaches. I am thinking of getting a large fish tank and I would like to know if I would be able to put Giant African Millipedes and Madagascan Hissing Cockroaches together in one large tank. I would also think about putting in some burmese millipedes too as they stay underground most of the time

Thanks for any replies :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:58 pm 

With millis and anything cohabiting, you need to avoid species that burrow. They could fatally disturb any moulting millis underground. Hissers are one of the roaches which tend to avoid burrowing, though they will on occasion especially when young. If I was going to do it, I would have lots of vertical areas for the hissers, and a large scattering of dead semi rotten oak or beech leaves on the surface, and keep the numbers of roaches fairly low.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:56 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

As always when keeping more than one species in an enclosure, remember to have a lot of extra space in general (or, otherwise, very few animals). Check up on them every so often to make sure they're not bothering each other. I keep my millipedes and semi-burrowing roaches together, and it's been working fine so far, because they seem to stay in different ends of the enclosure anyway (I suspect it's because the millis seem more keen on burrowing in the drier end while the roaches prefer the end that I keep humid & heated). I wouldn't want to leave them alone for longer periods of time, if I have to go away/know that this or that week I'll be too busy to check on them, I put the millis in a separate container until I get back.
I've found that providing ample climbing space is a good way to draw the roaches away from spending a lot of time burrowing, so add lots of branches/tree roots/plastic ferns/whatever you fancy. That'll make the tank prettier to look at, too :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:10 pm 
Finding my way round
Finding my way round

I have millis in with hissers and headlight roaches (who do burrow)
I've had varied sucess, I've recently discoverd I've lost 3 out of 5 millipedes, may be because they have been disturbed while moulting and starting to think that separation may be in order, possibly just to remove the headlights as my hissers do not burrow at all.
The 2 surviving millis are very active and I see them alot but they are big. I have just bought 2 more and I really dont want to loose them.
Its a big tank, the roaches tend to stay at the dry end near the heat mat, the millis like the wetter soil.
My experience so far.

Species I keep: Beetles: Coelorrhina hornimanni, Eudicella morgani, Eudicella ethiopica. Tiger hissers, Domino roaches, Headlight cockroaces, Porcelain cockroaches, 5 different millipede spieces, Giant Florida Katydids, various stick insects and hermit crabs.