* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:41 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:27 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I have a lamp for my roaches, when I got my millipedes I was told that room temp would be OK, and that if they're kept near the roaches they'll move to the warmth if they need it, but I'd like more control over the temperature.

Plus I've been doing as much reading as I can, and it seems that they don't like the light much - so I've moved them to a shelf above the lamp so the heat will rise, and the light won't hit them, but it's far from ideal.

I would have expected they'd burrow to be cooler? but then if a mat was there they'd get warmer?

So I wasn't sure what you all use - heat mat, lamp or ceramic heater?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:37 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

Diplopoda tend to prefer humid cooler conditions. Direct heating can dry out portions of the tank, something I have avoided. They should be fine as long as the temps stay around 20-25c, as long as they don't go below 15c or so for long periods of time, I think they would be fine-mine are anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:02 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thanks Mazzer, I'll keep an eye on the room temperature over the next few days just to be sure (it's the night time that worries me), but they should be fine then, I can't imagine it getting that cold.

Especially as my GF complains if the temperature goes sub tropical at any point anyway!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:16 pm 
Really getting into this place

Are you able to find small, red bulbs? I use 25watt "party" bulbs to provide heat in the winter. The small sized bulbs don't give off too much heat and the red colored light is not visible to most arthropods. It seems to work just fine with my millipedes as well. The bulbs give off plenty of light so I can see the millipedes wandering around the tanks at night.

I don't recommend using heat mats. They tend to dry out the substrate quickly.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:01 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

We've got a lighting shop near us who should do those - I am getting a bit worried about what the temperature will do when it gets really cold over here, I'll check this out at the weekend so I'm prepared!

Thanks Hypoponera.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:21 pm 

No problem! But relax regarding the temps. Most millipedes available do just fine at 18-26C. I try to keep mine at a steady 24C year round. My bug room is on the North side of the house and gets no direct sunlight, so no free heating in the winter. But with summer temps up to 40C, that's a good thing!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:10 pm 

I think you'll have more trouble with using a heat lamp but keeping them on the top shelf versus a bottom shelf can be a big difference.
Hyp:What happened to the Anadenobolus arboreus? I unfortunately discovered the darn things were hybrids with modestior.
Attachment:
AnadenobolusarboreusXmodestior.JPG
AnadenobolusarboreusXmodestior.JPG [ 37.89 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:40 pm 

Orin:
Sorry to say, but I don't think I have any survivors. At least I have not seen them in a long while. I tanked them together with the ebonies. I see the ebonies all the time but have not seen the Anadenobolus arboreus since getting them. Too bad as those hybrids look very distinctive! Let me know if you stumble into any more!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:33 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Hypoponera wrote:
No problem! But relax regarding the temps.

Cheers - think I'm a bit paranoid because they're my first ones!

Orin wrote:
I think you'll have more trouble with using a heat lamp but keeping them on the top shelf versus a bottom shelf can be a big difference.

Thanks Orin - looking forward to your book.

I moved them to a different part of the room today, because I wanted to give them a larger tank, and they actually seem happier for being a bit cooler?

Or possibly it's just the new tank.

Generally the temperature isn't too bad in the room, around 20C room temperature, but near the outside walls it's nearer 16-18C, it's the below 18C that worries me, I don't let them get that low, but I'll definitely need something to regulate it once it gets colder, and the new tank is too heavy for a shelf I think, which is a shame because it would be perfect above the roaches.