* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Millipede safe plants.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:38 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Feel like a spammer now - just posted a similar thread in the roach section.

I'd like to add some plants to my millipede tank for a more natural environment for them - wondered if any of you use plants in your millipede tanks at all, or can recommend safe ones?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:51 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thought I'd come back on this for anyone else who might be interested, I got a great book that Hypoponera suggested which has loads of information in, including some on suitable plants.

There was a post about it here on BN as well, book can be found here.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:53 pm 
Really getting into this place

With exception of plants treated with systemic pesticides that can't be washed off (that books says you can) are there are any species of plant that couldn't be kept with millipedes?
Hypo you traitor! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:47 pm 

Sorry Orin! I didn't want to recommend a book that is not yet available! I am still waiting for mine to ship. Amazon still says it should arrive between 29 Oct and 7 Nov.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 pm 

That one is online now and depending on where you get it from it might not take any longer to get than the other book (the other book is on order stock at amazon since millipede books don't sell well) and besides, what about the much cheaper guide that has been avaialble since 2005.
I do wonder if there are any plants that could pose a threat to millipedes other than relative to certain pesticides. I give them mixed leaves that have contained countless shrubs, herbs, grassess, bulb plants, various hardwood trees, and even a little pine and redwood mixed in with no trouble (the odd stuff mixed in is never a primary component).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:18 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Orin wrote:
With exception of plants treated with systemic pesticides that can't be washed off (that books says you can) are there are any species of plant that couldn't be kept with millipedes?

That's a concern - do you know what sort of plants would have systemic pesticides on?

I was thinking of things like Dracaena, spider plant, stuff like that to make their cage more interesting - the male especially loves to wander about and climb on things, so I'm going to wrap some branches with moss for him, and I put some cress in which he enjoys trampling through as well.

So I was assuming herbs, edible stuff (to us) is probably OK if it's washed, and I got some spinach and chard plants which are pesticide free (or so the label says) but I was trying to find plants that would given them a more natural environment when they're up and about, because they seem quite active so far.

Orin - what's your book called? my birthday approaches and I like to have overwhelming amounts to read!

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:04 pm 

Try looking for this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Millipedes- ... millipedes

One concern with plants is not only might the millipedes eat the plant, but most likely they will uproot the plant.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:38 pm 

That's a concern - do you know what sort of plants would have systemic pesticides on? It's not so much what but when and where. Any ornamental plants grown in greenhouses can be treated with systemic pesticides to kill or prevent spider mites, aphids, etc. They are treated at intervals or related to outbreaks so it's partly luck.

So I was assuming herbs, edible stuff (to us) is probably OK if it's washed, and I got some spinach and chard plants which are pesticide free (or so the label says) but I was trying to find plants that would given them a more natural environment when they're up and about, because they seem quite active so far. Organic and pesticide free are different but if it's safe for human consumption you should be fine.

What's your book called? my birthday approaches and I like to have overwhelming amounts to read!
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=53397

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:20 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Hypoponera wrote:
One concern with plants is not only might the millipedes eat the plant, but most likely they will uproot the plant.

Thanks Hypoponera - I hope I'm not being thick here - what's the concern if they uproot the plant?

Orin wrote:
Any ornamental plants grown in greenhouses can be treated with systemic pesticides to kill or prevent spider mites, aphids, etc. They are treated at intervals or related to outbreaks so it's partly luck.

Hmmm...tricky one then, I've got a couple of ferns and a dracaena (bet I've spelt that wrong again) which I brought home and washed like mad and repotted, I was assuming that if I keep them for a few weeks anything bad on there will be gone, perhaps not. I'll do some research on systemic pesticides and go from there - if I find anything worth knowing I'll post it back here.

Book looks great BTW, it's on my Birthday list!

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:24 am 

ned schneebly wrote:
Hypoponera wrote:

Thanks Hypoponera - I hope I'm not being thick here - what's the concern if they uproot the plant?

You may find it a pain to constantly have to replant your plants :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:48 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Hypoponera wrote:
ned schneebly wrote:
Hypoponera wrote:

You may find it a pain to constantly have to replant your plants :D

yeah that could be a pain! :lol: