* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:35 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I noticed this when I first bought my millipedes, they haven't shed at all yet so I'm hoping that will take care of it (assuming they will shed again), but I wanted to check it's not a fungal thing or anything, or if there's something I can do to help them out with it.

It's much more prominent on the male than the female.

Doesn't seem to be bothering them at all.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:38 pm 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

The damage is probably nothing to worry about. Most likely caused by not having enough calcium available before the last molt. Or damage done just after molting when the skin was still very soft. It is rather common.

I suspect your millipedes will not molt any more. Molting post-sexual maturity is rare in the Spirostreptidae family... but not unheard of. Try to insure they have calcium available just in case.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:32 pm 
Supporter
Supporter

I provide cuttle bone which aid in cuticle strength. I'm not entirely sure of the process but I believe they add crystalline calcium carbonate/ other mineral salts to the structure of the chitin for strength. Not sure if they can re-mineralise in a similar way to teeth. Otherwise, there is nothing you can do.

I also don't dig down more than 15% of the substrate depth or create big disturbances such as dropping or shaking. They are extremely fragile in the process of ecdysis and massive damage can be done by the slight disturbances.

Saying that, I have never seen any of my millipedes with damage. Nor similar to what you have pictured.

Making a semi-educated guess I would say that it is likely mechanical damage, due to the pattern of damage, it seems it was brushed or scraped by something when it was moulting? :hmm: Only a slight movement or cause of friction (such as another millipede) brushing against it would've been enough.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:05 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thanks guys, it's good to know it doesn't look fungal or anything like that.

Mazzer - I put some powdered cuttle in their food and a little over the substrate here and there, do you leave a whole cuttle bone in the tank? I'm sure I've seen that done with roaches but I didn't know if that was the way to go?

Interesting that you mention digging down - I was going to start a thread on cleaning the enclosure at some point, they've dug tunnels everywhere so it looks like a tricky business!