* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:13 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

I've been googling for this but not has much joy - does anyone know if there's been any observation of wild millipedes - specifically how much territory they roam across?

I've read about the requirements for captive millipedes and have got my two in a tank which I thought was plenty big enough, but to be honest I wonder if they'd really enjoy more space (although god knows how I'd provide it!).

I only keep 2 Spirostreptidae sp 8 at the moment, male is about 9 inches, maybe a little more, they're in a tank 24 x 15 x 12 inches, with 3-4 inches of substrate and bark, branches, logs etc to climb on.

They're very active and the male especially loves to climb up the branches and curl up on them, and he keeps checking out the lid, spends a lot of the time walking the permiter of the tank and generally exploring, so I'm thinking he'd really love more space, maybe a tank with a slightly larger footprint, but more vertical space so I can add a bit of a stepped level and more stuff to climb on?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:30 am 
Really getting into this place
Really getting into this place

Sounds good! I don't think you can really give them too much space, either horizontal or vertical. But your male does seem to be rather active and will probably continue to be such no matter how much space he has.

I don't think any studies have mentioned territory requirements for millipedes. I don't think millipedes define territories since they tend to congragate in areas of high resource availability.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:54 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Cool, thanks - there's a lot of information like this available for mammals, like when we started keeping rats our vet knew what kind of distance they cover during the night in the wild, same information is easy to find for hedgehogs and lots of other mammals, so I wondered if it there was similar information on millipedes, but I didn't think it would be likely.

I think you're right though, he's gonna use whatever's available - I just need to find space for a bigger tank now!

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:31 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Conclusive proof that he'd like more vertical space! :lol:

Don't worry - I scooped him up before he moved any further.