* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:45 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:14 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Seen a lot of posts on this, so I know it's usual for millipedes to disappear underground for a while at a time, and I've no intention of unearthing them yet, just curious if any of you have seen this behaviour in this particular species?

The male has vanished, not seen hime for well over two weeks now, and he's usually up and about non stop. What is more unusual is that the female is still up and about.

The reason I'm concerned is because the male came to me with some shell damage, which I've been keeping an eye on, and although I don't think it's fungal (I posted about it a while back, and the female looks perfect) I still worry that it might be worsening or causing him other problems.

I photograph him when I can so I can see if it's progressing, and so far it doesn't seem to be, but this uncharacteristic disappearance has me a bit worried.

So, back to my reason for posting, how long until I need to worry that he's not OK? my main concern is that if he has fallen ill underground I can't help him if I don't know, and if he's passed away it might cause problems for the female.

Plus I'm quite attached to him, so I want to know he's alright :oops:

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:30 am 
Admin
Admin

see im very bad if i dont see them for a week i tend to have a root about if his normally active i would start being a bit nosey but just be careful incase he is just moulting maybe with a soft paintbrush move the subs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:17 pm 
Well and truely at home
Well and truely at home

Thanks Shaz, I carefully removed the substrate and found him curled up underground so I left him to it - he's up and about again now but his behaviour has definitely changed.

He seems fine when he's out and about though so fingers crossed there's nothing bothering him.

Cheers.