* Login   * Register Feedback Feedback    * FAQ    * Medals   * Search
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:21 am 
Really getting into this place

I have my millies in a large tub with a mesh ventilation panel at the side. My house is very cold and at night the temp reads 15c. During the day it warms to 17c. In the mornings when I check on them the sides of the tub are very condensated, as the day goes on this clears. The humidity is around 75%.

I have the A. Gigas species and read they need warmer temps so I have put a 40watt infra red lamp in there which warms the tub to 24c but then the humidity drops to 50%. I use the light between 7am and 7pm.

Is this ok for them? How do you manage to keep temps up without losing humidity? I have a beetle tub next to them which is the same set up except they have a small heat mat which doesnt really make any difference at all to temps or humidity.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:08 pm 

With one exception, your set-up sounds great! But I would recommend turning off the heat lamp. A. gigas does not need such high temps. 20C is plenty warm for them.

How deep is your substrate? A good thick layer of substrate generates a fair amount of heat as it rots.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:52 pm 

Thank you for your reply, I have read so much conflicting advice on temperatures for the Gigas, it is very confusing to a newcomer. I will remove the lamp then, must admit they haven't been wandering around so much since it has been there. They were really warm at the reptile shop the two young ones came from, I could feel the heat coming off them when I held them. So, you think they are ok at 15c at night and 19/20c at day?
The substrate is 10cm deep at the back, and about 5cm at the front but I'm about to top it up again with some additional leaf matter and organic compost that i got just now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:32 pm 

15C at night and 19-20C during the day should do just fine! A reptile shop would need to be warm due to the needs of the reptiles. But the millipedes tend to prefer cooler temps.

If possible, double the depth of the substrate. the substrate can never be too deep!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:59 pm 

Thanks for your help. I've removed the lamp and the substrate is now 7 inches deep at it's highest point and 4 at it's lowest. They have burrowd down into it. I kind of landscaped it a bit to create interest for the millies and for me as looking at a tub of dirt isn't particularly interesting :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:26 pm 

Sounds good to me. But adult A. gigas are very good at relandscaping a tank. I would not be too surprised to hear that the substrate gets evened out in a short time.